Smashing Pumpkins & Billy Corgan thread

Matt Pinfield interviews Billy Corgan in early 2013. The interview is entitled "From Mellon Collie to Oceania," and is a MX2 Media & EMI Music presentation. In the interview, Matt & Billy discuss multiple topics. They discuss the "Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness" reissue, and the band's dynamics during that time. They discuss the Smashing Pumpkins newest album, "Oceania." They also talk about music & other bands, with Billy giving compliments to bands such as Siouxsie & the Banshees and Alice in Chains. Splendid interview.

"From Mellon Collie to Oceania," Billy Corgan interview with Matt Pinfield.

"So I think, part of the reason that "Mellon Collie's" worn well in the alterna-crowd, as time has gone on & why it represents that generation well, is it's fairly reflective of the emotional experience of being a Gen-Xer, and didn't get caught up in trying to be heavy like every other band, or you know, dark like every other band was trying to be." -Billy Corgan

Billy & Matt.jpg

Billy and Matt. Two legends, two bald heads, one scarf, & one colorful guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two best songs on Adore...

As I've said before I'm not a massive fan but in my current hard drive renovation project, where I'm remodeling/reorganizing/updating the contents of my music folder, I found about a zillion Pumpkins collections of demos, outtakes, rarities, etc. that I put together a long time ago and forgot about. Back in maybe '06 or '07. Anyway there's a ton of stuff; I don't know how much has made it to official release comps since then but I'll put up what I have.

The two best songs on Adore...

Both are great songs. My two favorite songs from the "Adore" sessions are "Do You Close Your Eyes?" and "My Mistake." I'm surprised Billy didn't include them on the album.

"Do You Close Your Eyes?" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-Beautiful, once again.

"My Mistake" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-The song gets better as it goes along. It's one of their saddest songs, and in my opinion, one of their best.

As I've said before I'm not a massive fan but in my current hard drive renovation project, where I'm remodeling/reorganizing/updating the contents of my music folder, I found about a zillion Pumpkins collections of demos, outtakes, rarities, etc. that I put together a long time ago and forgot about. Back in maybe '06 or '07. Anyway there's a ton of stuff; I don't know how much has made it to official release comps since then but I'll put up what I have.

That's great that you rediscovered those songs. I'm looking forward to hearing them!

"Slow Dawn" by The Smashing Pumpkins

I've never been able to hear My Bloody Valentine's influence in their music either. I know Billy Corgan and James Iha stated several times that they were influenced by MBV. Billy also has stated that the band was influenced by the likes of Queen and The Frogs. Occasionally, I can see echoes of Queen in their music, but not very often. The Frogs were a band from Milwaukee or Minneappolis or somewhere, and the few cuts I've heard of their music wasn't very scintillating. What is your favorite My Bloody Valentine song, Davie?

I remember when you posted "Boy" in "The What Are You Listening to Now" thread. I remember you wrote that you liked that song. I'm actually not too fond of several of the Smashing Pumpkins hits either. Songs like "Zero," "Muzzle" (a minor hit), "Try, Try, Try" ( a very minor hit), "Tarantula," and the overrated "G.L.O.W.", don't do a lot for me. Almost everyone I know doesn't care for the Smashing Pumpkins, but they all like "1979." It is a wonderful song and one of my ten favorites by them.

Here's a nice "lighter" song of theirs. It gets better as it goes along. Music, lyrics, & vocals are by James Iha. James' vocals can't be considered outstanding, but I find them to be soulful and beautiful

Yes, The Boy is my favourite song by them. Favourite My Bloody Valentine song? Ah, too much choice...Today I guess it's "She Found Now". The album isn't a masterpiece, but I think more than half of the album is stunning.

Here's my second favourite song by Smashing Pumpkins :)

Yes, The Boy is my favourite song by them. Favourite My Bloody Valentine song? Ah, too much choice...Today I guess it's "She Found Now". The album isn't a masterpiece, but I think more than half of the album is stunning.

Here's my second favourite song by Smashing Pumpkins :)

Wow nice song, Davie!:) I forgot about that song and haven't heard if for a long time.

I never had heard of that My Bloody Valentine song before. Honestly, I like it. It's completely different than the types of music I usually listen to, but I like it. After listening to this song, I can hear the influence that My Bloody Valentine had on the Smashing Pumpkins music. I wrote about this early this morning, but when I tapped the "submit reply" button, everything I wrote vanished. I don't have time to write about this now. I can definitely hear the influence, it's subtle but its there. I'm going to post "She Found Now" right here...

"She Found Now" by My Bloody Valentine

-Really Cool video.

Wow, I love that video too. Never seen it before. The colours, distortion and imagery are absolutely gorgeous! It's not bad for a 2013 song. In fact, it's a true piece of art :p

Wow, I love that video too. Never seen it before. The colours, distortion and imagery are absolutely gorgeous! It's not bad for a 2013 song. In fact, it's a true piece of art :p

It is a gorgeous video. Stunning, really. I didn't realize this song was released last year. For some reason, I thought it was an 80's or early 90's song.

-Here's one of my Top 10 favorite songs by The Smashing Pumpkins. This song was recorded in the late 80's at Billy's Dad's home studio. This is an exquisite song in every way....

"There It Goes" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-I know I type this word too much, but this truly is another "masterpiece."

It is a gorgeous video. Stunning, really. I didn't realize this song was released last year. For some reason, I thought it was an 80's or early 90's song.

I think that's why their music works still. It's a bit timeless and hasn't dated much.

"The CameraEye" by Billy Corgan

Sorry it took so long to get around uploading the stuff I have; I've been busy shaming people, and soliciting unrequited Words With Friends game offers from forum members.

Anyway here's Mashed Potatoes; a random rarities comp I found a long time ago. I cleaned it up a little where I noticed typos and tracknumber errors and such, but other than the screengrab of the tracklist, I don't know anything about it.

More Pumpkins stuff to follow.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t77nhe

Mashed_Potatoes_playlist_pt_1.jpg

Mashed_Potatoes_playlist_pt_2.jpg

Rare tracks from the early days through the Gish era. As with the other comps that will follow in this thread, this comp includes b-sides, studio outtakes, demos, live recordings, session tracks, etc.

I have tagged and organized this as best I can. Where deciphering what version of a song you are listening to or where any given song comes from, sometimes you have to open iTunes and click on an individual song to read the track information in order to find out the source info of the song in question; usually I include it in the trackname but not generally in this case.

3 parts:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kjbxbm
http://www.sendspace.com/file/irbf3q
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsrxgq

gishrare1.jpg

gishrare2.jpg

tks.52-73
rare_tracks_thru_Gish_era_pt_3.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get around uploading the stuff I have; I've been busy shaming people, and soliciting unrequited Words With Friends game offers from forum members.

Anyway here's Mashed Potatoes; a random rarities comp I found a long time ago. I cleaned it up a little where I noticed typos and tracknumber errors and such, but other than the screengrab of the tracklist, I don't know anything about it.

More Pumpkins stuff to follow.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t77nhe

Mashed_Potatoes_playlist_pt_1.jpg

Mashed_Potatoes_playlist_pt_2.jpg

This is awesome. I discovered "Mashed Potatoes," about ten or eleven years ago, and recorded the songs onto a cassette tape off of my computer. "Mashed Potatoes" is possibly my favorite body of Smashing Pumpkins work. It's either that, "Mellon Collie....," or "Oceania." "Mashed Potatoes," as a whole, blows "Siamese Dream" completely out of the water. It crushes the overrated "Gish" like a pop can. The "Mashed Potatoes" I found included the classics "There It Goes," "My Eternity," "Under Your Spell," "Spiteface," "Nothing & Everything," "Jennifer Ever," "Stars Fall In," "Snap," "Vanilla," and "Moleasskiss. I think you're exhibiting the proper group of songs that are in the "Mashed Potatoes" collection. I'm just now realizing that the collection I found, ten or eleven years ago, was a mish-mash of all three of these collections. I've posted the songs "There It Goes," "Jennifer Ever," and "Snap" twice each on Moz-Solo. I've posted "My Eternity," "Under Your Spell," "Nothing & Everything," and "Stars Fall In" once apiece. Out of the songs, that apparently fall under the actual "Mashed Potatoes" umbrella, I've posted "Bleed" (two times), "Not Worth Asking," and "I'll Never Change." When I say that "Mashed Potatoes" is better than "Siamese Dream," I guess I'm referring to what I thought the "Mashed Potatoes" compilation was. Basically, I now realize that the "Mashed Potatoes" I found was a giant kettle of 90% of the songs that you just listed, in these three separate compilations. However, I still say cherry picking the best of these three compilations blows "Siamese Dream" out of the water. I Love the A-side of "Siamese Dream," but I always found the B-side to be overrated. Thanks for posting these, Skylarker. I'm willing to bet that most people will ignore these songs, but in my opinion, that's their loss.

One song, that I was surprised didn't turn up on these lists, is the beautiful "Smiley." I'm really tired, so maybe it is on one of the lists, and I just missed it. Hopefully, in the next couple of days, I'll post the YouTube version of it. It's a nice song.

One song, that I was surprised didn't turn up on these lists, is the beautiful "Smiley." I'm really tired, so maybe it is on one of the lists, and I just missed it. Hopefully, in the next couple of days, I'll post the YouTube version of it. It's a nice song.

OK, I see what I did. I forgot to upload the last third of the Gish era outtakes; that's where your Smiley is, as well as Siva and A Girl named Sandoz (these were Halloween 1991 Peel sessions.) There is also an acoustic take of Smiley.

When you mentioned it a few days back I knew I'd seen that song in my files; sorry it took me so long to respond/fix things.

Gish era outtakes pt 3 (also amended in the original post)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsrxgq

rare_tracks_thru_Gish_era_pt_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom