Smash Hits Magazine Scans Compilation - Morrissey & The Smiths

Various people have kindly contributed pictures from Smash Hits over the years to this site and a lot of those images are now dead and gone when looking in the archive here.
Similarly, with the demise of morrisseyscans.com (as used by PJLM), I thought putting them all together would make sense.
Luckily, kind souls on the internet had already done the hard work of collecting and scanning the magazines which just left going through them all to find relevant articles et al.
This has involved going through 174 magazines page by page but should not be viewed as exhaustive - some text references may have been missed simply due to not having the time to read every letter or article that may involve said. I do believe this to be the bulk of the articles and pictures though (half of 1988 is still being scanned weekly and will be updated here as more becomes available).
If there's anything I've missed - please PM me and I will track it down and include it asap.

So huge thanks, admiration & kudos to Shane and Brian.
Without their hard work, attention to detail and the kindness to share this wouldn't be at all possible.

For Smash Hits '81-'88 (and Number One Magazine scans) please see this brilliant archive:
http://www.shanemarais.net
http://www.shanemarais.net/smash-hits-magazine/

For even earlier Smash Hits from '78-'81 (which are definitely worth a view), please see this excellent scan site for more nostalgia overload:
Like Punk Never Happened - Brian McCloskey's Smash Hits archive:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/collections/72157622124067234/

A huge thanks also to davidt who was kind enough to assist me with problematic parts of large files, gallery codes, thumbnail mechanics, testing and advice - this wouldn't be possible without his flexibility and willingness to help.

Here are all the photos/articles in a zip file for those who prefer:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/g70sbw

I think a lot of this has been seen, but it is all together now for posterity - enjoy.
The following galleries are a collation of Morrissey/The Smiths appearances in Smash Hits Magazine from 1983-1988.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Smash Hits '83:

Last edited:
Smash Hits '84:

Last edited:
Smash Hits '85:

Last edited:
Smash Hits '86:

Last edited:
Smash Hits '87:

Last edited:
Smash Hits '88:

(More to come from '88 as it is added).
Updated: June 3 - Everyday... advert.

Last edited:
Going through all of the magazine pages nostalgia certainly abounds.
I always bought the more 'serious' music news at the time and only bought SH if it featured Moz/The Smiths.
Looking back on it now, it is surprising how much comes back to the ol' memory.
I had completely forgotten Boots (a UK chemist) sold records until I saw the adverts.
The picture of Moz with 'Red Ken' (picture 7, 1984) raised a bit of a chuckle.
I think they clearly had writers at times who didn't fully accept the constraints of a 'pop' magazine.
As a result, there is a large, eclectic mix of music which ventures often in to 'indie' territory.
This type of collation does offer some insights in to not only youth culture, but social history too.
I'd recommend anyone with an interest in the 80's to have a good look around the above sites.

I'd also suggest the excellent and indispensable:
http://www.plunderingdesire.com/
for further Smith's articles and reading.
I believe its creator might lurk here occasionally and for their efforts: my admiration and thanks.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Excellent thanks for this. I used to read Smash Hits as a schoolboy.

And yes, the '84 pic of Moz with Ken Livingstone is kind of funny at the moment.

I quite like the tanned version of Moz wearing The Queen is Dead t-shirt above. Elvis had nothing on him facially speaking.
It's all....in the jaw!

Going through all of the magazine pages nostalgia certainly abounds.
I always bought the more 'serious' music news at the time and only bought SH if it featured Moz/The Smiths.
Looking back on it now, it is surprising how much comes back to the ol' memory.
I had completely forgotten Boots (a UK chemist) sold records until I saw the adverts.
The picture of Moz with 'Red Ken' (picture 7, 1984) raised a bit of a chuckle.
I think they clearly had writers at times who didn't fully accept the constraints of a 'pop' magazine.
As a result, there is a large, eclectic mix of music which ventures often in to 'indie' territory.
This type of collation does offer some insights in to not only youth culture, but social history too.
I'd recommend anyone with an interest in the 80's to have a good look around the above sites.

I'd also suggest the excellent and indispensable:
http://www.plunderingdesire.com/
for further Smith's articles and reading.
I believe its creator might lurk here occasionally and for their efforts: my admiration and thanks.

Regards,
FWD.
Thanks to you, too, for all you did. This is a lot of work and I noticed you up doing it last night. It’s a nice resource!

I knew the Comtesse Despair stopped with the ArcaneWardrobe, but though it was under Morrissey-solo's wings not disapear from the I'net Great lovely archive, if you hadn't 2 hours nothing to do, well there was always a good read, dunno if it really has disapeared

I reckon seeing all these effeminate brittish euro trash photos sure made me glad Uncle Steve moved to LA in 1991 and started playing proper American Rock and Roll like all his American music idols from the 50's and 60's. I hate the Smiths.

Ken Livingstone, ex Labour leader of the GLC and twice London Mayor, was constantly dubbed a "Loonie Leftie" by the UK right wing press throughout the 80s and 90s for his extensive backing of LGBT rights and race equality, firm opposition to Thatcher, as well as his stance on Northern Ireland.

Interesting how Morrissey went from saying "Ken Livingstone is one of the most sensible people around" and playing Labour sponsored-gigs in support of against unemployment under Thatcher to growling "Loonie Lefties" at whoever is to the right of a BNP spin-off party.

Bungalow

Ken Livingstone, ex Labour leader of the GLC and twice London Mayor, was constantly dubbed a "Loonie Leftie" by the UK right wing press throughout the 80s and 90s for his extensive backing of LGBT rights and race equality, firm opposition to Thatcher, as well as his stance on Northern Ireland.

Interesting how Morrissey went from saying "Ken Livingstone is one of the most sensible people around" and playing Labour sponsored-gigs in support of against unemployment under Thatcher to growling "Loonie Lefties" at whoever is to the right of a BNP spin-off party.

Bungalow
Must we have this political pillow fight on every single thread? Some of us just want to sigh over some amusing 80s pop nostalgia.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom