Smash Hits Magazine Scans Compilation - Morrissey & The Smiths

Various people have kindly contributed pictures from Smash Hits over the years to this site and a lot of those images are now dead and gone when looking in the archive here.
Similarly, with the demise of morrisseyscans.com (as used by PJLM), I thought putting them all together would make sense.
Luckily, kind souls on the internet had already done the hard work of collecting and scanning the magazines which just left going through them all to find relevant articles et al.
This has involved going through 174 magazines page by page but should not be viewed as exhaustive - some text references may have been missed simply due to not having the time to read every letter or article that may involve said. I do believe this to be the bulk of the articles and pictures though (half of 1988 is still being scanned weekly and will be updated here as more becomes available).
If there's anything I've missed - please PM me and I will track it down and include it asap.

So huge thanks, admiration & kudos to Shane and Brian.
Without their hard work, attention to detail and the kindness to share this wouldn't be at all possible.

For Smash Hits '81-'88 (and Number One Magazine scans) please see this brilliant archive:
http://www.shanemarais.net
http://www.shanemarais.net/smash-hits-magazine/

For even earlier Smash Hits from '78-'81 (which are definitely worth a view), please see this excellent scan site for more nostalgia overload:
Like Punk Never Happened - Brian McCloskey's Smash Hits archive:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/collections/72157622124067234/

A huge thanks also to davidt who was kind enough to assist me with problematic parts of large files, gallery codes, thumbnail mechanics, testing and advice - this wouldn't be possible without his flexibility and willingness to help.

Here are all the photos/articles in a zip file for those who prefer:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/g70sbw

I think a lot of this has been seen, but it is all together now for posterity - enjoy.
The following galleries are a collation of Morrissey/The Smiths appearances in Smash Hits Magazine from 1983-1988.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Must we have this political pillow fight on every single thread? Some of us just want to sigh over some amusing 80s pop nostalgia.

I have some sympathy for what you wrote. You're quite right. And on my part, I will no longer post on here.
But, surely these are simply the obvious consequences of Morrissey getting so gobby about politics. Every action has its reaction. So, if he gets so opinionated to the point of endorsing a far right party, it shouldn't surprise you if a debate is triggered.

I wish you well. You seem alright, Peppermint.

Bungalow

Ken Livingstone, ex Labour leader of the GLC and twice London Mayor, was constantly dubbed a "Loonie Leftie" by the UK right wing press throughout the 80s and 90s for his extensive backing of LGBT rights and race equality, firm opposition to Thatcher, as well as his stance on Northern Ireland.

Interesting how Morrissey went from saying "Ken Livingstone is one of the most sensible people around" and playing Labour sponsored-gigs in support of against unemployment under Thatcher to growling "Loonie Lefties" at whoever is to the right of a BNP spin-off party.

Bungalow

I'm delighted people like you are so angsty about it -- I hope it ruined your week!

I have some sympathy for what you wrote. You're quite right. And on my part, I will no longer post on here.
But, surely these are simply the obvious consequences of Morrissey getting so gobby about politics. Every action has its reaction. So, if he gets so opinionated to the point of endorsing a far right party, it shouldn't surprise you if a debate is triggered.

I wish you well. You seem alright, Peppermint.

Bungalow
You're quite right, he's only got himself to blame. But this particular spat has been raging on here for over 3 weeks and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heartily sick of it. I'm pretty sure every point that could be made has been, at least seventeen times, and the rest is just noise and posturing. Anyway, thanks for the decent response and I wish you well too, Bungalow.

I remember when Killing Joke described The Smiths as "foppish and dull" (Smash Hits 13-26 August 1986 - "ARE KILLING JOKE THE MOST HORRIBLE GROUP EVER?"). Some music journos from Zig Zag and Melody Maker also tried to put the 'fascist' label on KJ back in the '80's. Morrissey is a fan and on 9 October 2008 he attended KJ's gig in LA. I've seen 'em play live a few times ever since I first saw them on television on Top of the Pops with their hit single Love Like Blood.

https://pairlist4.pair.net/pipermail/gathering/2012-February/114836.html

http://www.nme.com/news/music/killing-joke-12-1331065

Last edited:
What’s Gary Numan on about??
Did Moz call him a fascist?

Not sure, but he didn't really have many kind words to say about him (it would appear):

Morrissey's letters to a penpal (1981)
In 1981 a guy named Robert Mackie was pen-pals with a guy named Steven Patrick Morrissey. Sometime in the late '80s Mr. Mackie photocopied the letters into a fanzine called "Words by Morrissey", which he then made available to anyone for the cost of postage.

Sometime in the late '90s I typed up all of these letters and posted 'em on my website, but a few years later I accidentally deleted the file from my web server. So, i'm now re-posting the letters; for the first time ever on the blog.

All spelling and punctuation marks are Morrissey's.

"You say you listen to "some electronics". Does that mean Miss Numan? If so, it was nice knowing you... "

"Your interest in OMITD is surely the result of having nothing to do. I hate, loathe, detest, abhor, abominate, cannot stand or abide Miss Numan. To me, all electronic music is just a sad accident. So, you had an "exciting letter from Janine in Nottingham"; did you tell her that you had an exciting letter from Manchester? Of course you did!"

" I wish you wouldn't mention Miss Numan. Or, should I say "Miss Thing". I dislike him more than I can tell you. People with receding hairlines never know much about anything. And such ugly shoe-taste too. You ought to be ashamed! Why don't you repent by rushing down to your mega-store and buying Nico's "The End" or "Chelsea Girl" - or even "Desertshore"? If you leave now you'll just be in time for the next bus."

" I heard 'Cars' by Shirley Numan and it sounded glorious to me (yes, things were THAT bad). So strange to come back to grey old England and see 13 year old boys with yellow hair. What could it all mean? And who are Duran Duran anyway? Adam Ant bores the shit out of me."

Here is the link to the site:

http://torr.typepad.com/weblog/2008/01/moz-penpal-lett.html

Yes, I have those letters! A wonderful read by all means. But those weren’t publicly known by 1987.
I never heard Moz slagging Numan off in public, but he must have done somewhere if you read that ‘review’ :p

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom