Sleevage analyses Years of Refusal sleeve

Re: Sleevage analyses Years of Refusal sleeve!

"The consensus opinion seemed to be that the title referred to his years of refusing sex"

What consensus opinion? I think I missed that one. I don't think it's that direct really. And anyways, he has publicly claimed that he hasn't been "celibate" for years. What a load of shit. To say the title is just a reference to sex is a proper dumb-down.

"The consensus opinion seemed to be that the title referred to his years of refusing sex"

What consensus opinion? I think I missed that one. I don't think it's that direct really. And anyways, he has publicly claimed that he hasn't been "celibate" for years. What a load of shit. To say the title is just a reference to sex is a proper dumb-down.

Why does it always have to be about sex? and i agree that saying he his holding a baby to symolise his 'celebacy' is boring.
How can you link a gun, violin and a baby? i'm positive Morrissey's way too inteligent and thinks more of his fans than to be so crass.
I appreciate there is always an 'alternate' meaning with the man's work but i'm sure it's a little bit deeper than images that define what he never wants (ie, a gun, violin, baby)?.

At the time of the release of YOR, someone anonymously wrote here, there was a reference to biblical prophecy . . . towards the end of the world . . .
. . . where man marked either on the forehead or the right arm, was showing the brand of the devil.

Am afraid so.

And sweet baby does seem to have rather unnerving eyes, he is not as 'cute' as he looks, thanks to Jake's great artistry and Morrissey's symbolic art direction.

Morrissey asked us to pray for him, I am M, do not worry - I am.

The ever brilliant Sleevage blog (album artwork design blog) analyses the Years of Refusal sleeve. Some interesting points.

http://sleevage.com/morrissey-years-of-refusal/

I think it's Him saying, hey I was also once that baby, and the years between were struggling

plus this is as close as it comes to children,he'll never be a father, personally
I think Morrissey is a difficult person, even to have a relationship must been
hard for him, to point out 1 problem, keep it out the tabloids

discuss

:confused:

I appreciate there is always an 'alternate' meaning with the man's work but i'm sure it's a little bit deeper than images that define what he never wants (ie, a gun, violin, baby)?.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wO_6wMRS7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wO_6wMRS7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Interesting, but they seem to have barely scratched the surface there. I always saw the cover more as an expression of growing maturity and reflection on life. Seeing as many of the lyrics in YOR deal with death (albeit this not being an unusual theme for Morrissey), the image of the baby is very interesting and arresting.

Back
Top Bottom