Morrissey Central Sky Sports apologise after libellous comment about Morrissey is aired during Sunday Supplement live broadcast - London Evening Standard

Geoff Shreeves was forced to apologise on behalf of Sky Sports after a libellous comment about Morrissey was aired during the live broadcast of Sunday Supplement.

Excerpt:

With presenter Shreeves and his four-man panel of reporters live streaming from home, the comment was heard at the start of the show.

A conversation was heard between members of the panel, before a libellous comment about the iconic frontman of The Smiths was heard.

The show continued, but following its first advertisement break, Shreeves apologised for the comments made by the Telegraph’s chief football writer, Sam Wallace.

Shreeves said: "At the start of this of this program a brief private conversation was unintentionally broadcast. It was not meant for broadcast and any conversation does not reflect the views of Sky Sports."

Here’s the video:

UPDATE:

Alexi posted the link:

Excerpt:

Sky Sports have been forced to apologise after comments made by one of the guests on their Sunday Supplement show accidentally made the air.

The guest appeared to say "Morrissey's been cancelled hasn't he as he's basically turned out to be a racist", before host Geoff Shreeves swiftly let them know the broadcast had already begun.

UPDATE 11:20 AM PT:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Now a Central post:
"SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS OUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY"

SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY:
SUNDAY TELEGRAPH JOURNALIST SAM WALLACE EXPOSES MORRISSEY TO HATRED, RIDICULE AND INJURY

SER's video text and video appear on Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon can't you foreigners leave a 61 year old man alone who lives a million miles away from your foreign lands? The California Son purposely went on with his Ingland concerts so you people will get the chinese subspecies virus because HE HATES YOU. First you set up a photo op with an impostor that looks nothing like him and then some foreigner talking trash on a kickball game show. You people are pathetic. His Beverly Hills attorneys are still working on the daily mail lawsuit, just like Dennis the Menace and Meghan fark arse fekll chipper curry twat tit c*** inn nnnn nnn nnn it.

SER's on the case (via his YT):

20200517_163333.jpg

FWD.

CONTROVERSIAL (AKA TRUE) WORDS SPOKEN ON SKY SPORTS

Free speech, f***er. Everybody gets it, and as far as Libel goes, I would say drag it in front of a judge.
It's about time Steve was called devious, truculent, unreliable, and after examining the evidence, racist.
He can write another dramatic spoken word piece called "Justice just came in my end."

This is the main reason I can't see this going any further. Imagine a judge ruling that it's legally OK to call him a racist. He may as well go and live in a bunker, what's left of any career he has would be finished.

Well indeed. Firstly it would not be libel, it would be slander. And if he wants to take these people to court for airing these views publicly, I say let him get on with it. He wouldn't have a leg to stand on, there's an awful lot of corroborating material out there, not lease Fat Gay Vegan's excellent collected evidence. It would be amusing to watch.

CALL FAT GAY VEGAN AT ONCE!! :swear
NOT NOW BUT RIGHT NOW:swear

HEAR ME YOU RACIST MOZ FOX LOVERS!!:swear
I KNOW NO GODS!! (except Allah of course it would be racist
not to woship the Most Merciful);)
I KNOW NO MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:swear

AND:

(SPOILER)

I GOT NO JOB!!!!:)
(congrats to the first responders who upload my dole every month)

This is the main reason I can't see this going any further. Imagine a judge ruling that it's legally OK to call him a racist. He may as well go and live in a bunker, what's left of any career he has would be finished.
I'm drooling at the thought of him attempting to see this one through in court. Please do. I'll make popcorn and laugh like a hyaena.

They already apologised so it is unlikely to go further because they have already admitted wrongdoing by doing so. What's it like living in a bunker by the way?

weird that an opinion can be libel in the uk.
It can't unless it's untrue and damaging. Libel and slander both fall under defamation laws and require for the defamed to prove that the statement was both incorrect (Morrissey would have to prove that he isn't a racist) and that he had suffered in some way as a result of the accusation. I'd judge that Sky Sports simply issued an apology to placate Morrissey fans who may have bristled or those who would be offended by idle chat - it was a reputational apology not a legal one.

SER's on the case (via his YT):

View attachment 56489

FWD.

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my - let him go do it. It would be immensely entertaining. I predict that there will be a few days of harrumphing, then the realisation that any legal action would go nowhere and is incredibly risky. Popcorn time.

And "Exposes Morrissey to hatred, ridicule and injury" - really? Wasn't this the exact person who said that the word racist has lost all meaning? Why the sudden volte-face? How peculiar. What happened to his espousal of free speech? Let him take this to court, it would be hilarious.

The main reason for all this outrage? To portray him - for once - as the put-upon victim. He's gonna milk it for all it's worth before his lawyers tell him to forget it.

Last edited:
It can't unless it's untrue and damaging. Libel and slander both fall under defamation laws and require for the defamed to prove that the statement was both incorrect (Morrissey would have to prove that he isn't a racist) and that he had suffered in some way as a result of the accusation. I'd judge that Sky Sports simply issued an apology to placate Morrissey fans who may have bristled or those who would be offended by idle chat - it was a reputational apology not a legal one.

Doubtful, it's just to avoid any libel hassle, the way they apologise for swearing to avoid Ofcom hassle.

I keep saying, I don't care if Morrisseys racist. Because whenever anyone mentions racism, you have all the shouting and indignation, but nothing comes of it. He should have been hung by now, if it was all so bad. I feel he's been ill advised, and unguarded, but I can't see that he's done anything that would warrant him being hauled into a court of law. He has to live with himself. I'm a gay man, I've faced prejudice all my life, irrespective of where I come from. I'd rather Morrissey had steered clear of the issue and kept his views to himself. It's an issue he should be above. It's an issue that's rapidly running its course. It's been disputed to high heaven. Some people are racist, others aren't. It doesn't matter. It's how you treat people at the end of the day, and Morrissey's never advocated violence. I think, from now on, he should keep his mouth shut, and for f*** sake, be known for something other than racial politics.

He's not said very much. It gets amplified by people outraged that he's not on the same page as them. He's not on the same page as anyone.

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my - let him go do it. It would be immensely entertaining. I predict that there will be a few days of harrumphing, then the realisation that any legal action would go nowhere and is incredibly risky. Popcorn time.

And "Exposes Morrissey to hatred, ridicule and injury" - really? Wasn't this the exact person who said that the word racist has lost all meaning? Why the sudden volte-face? How peculiar. What happened to his espousal of free speech? Let him take this to court, it would be hilarious.

Oh dear, I see you're getting yourself all giddy like a little schoolboy. Take a tablet & grow up FFS.
You are in your mid-50s after all, apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz has complained about the Rotherham cover-up & the Covid cover-up - both of which involved governments. His target is pretty much always public institutions or the meat/animal product industry.

He hasn't been demanding freedom of speech so he can cancel other singers - even if he is scathing about their work or image.

Watching the Left eat its own testicles, especially over the past 5 years, has been very sad to watch. Up is down, Left is right, thoughts are conspiracies and Morrissey is racist.

Yeah, because he pays most of them.
Such a silly statement mate, even for you. Even more stupid than saying a person is 'cancelled', what the f*** does that even mean BTW?I've yet to see an old bandmate, an employee of a record company or any reasonable acquaintance say that Moz was a racist, not one! I think they would have found someone who knew him better than Billy Bragg by now, don't you?. It's not like Moz has been around 5 minutes is it? He's been around enough people for enough time. Yet still, no one who knows him well or reasonably well supports the claims...makes you wonder doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom