"...Skull" -Vocals are outstanding on this track, especially

dcn

I can't get over how great the vocals are on the track. I've always thought Morrissey's vocals have long been under-appreciated. The value I place on his lyrics are at the top of the list for me but I really appreciate the extra effort he has seemed to be putting forth as his career progresses. Which got me to wondering...

If this gets really boring, ignore it (and me) ;)

I really think he is either pushing himself (or being pushed) on this song, specifically. There is a strong sense of carrying out the notes but also retaining the urgency in the delivery. I'd say his singing is absolutely spot on on this song. Perfect. I can see him delivering the song with his arm reaching to the sky with his brow arched as he sometimes does when singing "squeezing my skull". So, what I wonder is if he is consistently making a conscious effort on his own or if it was due to Jerry's influence. A good bit of both, perhaps?

I'm not in anyway saying the rest of the album lacks the same effort because it certainly doesn't. Just that this track stands out to me. I'd really like to see it as the single after 'Paris'.

I've personally always loved Moz's delivery on ~98.3% of all of his songs but he really has shown a maturation over the years and it's at or nearest the pinnacle for me on this song. Suppose it was only natural. The first time I really noticed it was on Southpaw's "Best Friend on the Payroll". I've always though if I ever had a chance to meet him, one of the things I'd bore him to death with would be a question about the singing on that track and whether it was his own doing or if Lillywhite "suggested" it. The part at around 2:37 "bring the paper in later-er-er". I'm sure he'd look at me in disbelief that's I'd even ask such a mundane question and proceed to walk away... LOL. So, if anyone gets a chance and wants to ask on my behalf and report back, let me know :)

Anyway, I'm done rambling and sorry for the waste of bandwidth. :)

I agree. I think the high notes are beautifully forced, I don't know how else to describe it.

Let me just add another observation... it's a true testament to his being an experienced pro. The part where he uses the phase "don't gimmie anymore" instead of "give me anymore". The delivery wouldn't have worked nearly as well if using the latter. The formation of the mouth for those wouldn't have allowed for it to flow as well.

Stop laughing at me. I really do need to find a hobby, I know, I know ;)

SignLanguageABCwithLindaBove.jpg

Let me just add another observation... it's a true testament to his being an experienced pro. The part where he uses the phase "don't gimmie anymore" instead of "give me anymore". The delivery wouldn't have worked nearly as well if using the latter. The formation of the mouth for those wouldn't have allowed for it to flow as well.

Stop laughing at me. I really do need to find a hobby, I know, I know ;)

I think he sings Don't gimme no more ?

I love skull, hot hot hot rockin' tune and vocal, can't wait to see it live:guitar:

It sounds like gimanymore.

I took the lyrics right off of the sheets that were distributed at one of those pre-release listening "parties". I know sometimes lyrics differ from even the official printings that show up on the sleeves of cd inserts but I'm pretty certain it matches in this case...

"don't gimmie anymore"

:)

I'm madly in love with this song, but I think I'm in the minority in wishing that he'd phrased the coda as "don't gimme more" as he did when he played it on the Greatest Hits tour. Maybe it's just because I've played live recordings of it to death and it's what I expect out of the song... something about it just irks me. Anyway, I'll stop complaining. Wonderful, wonderful song.

Don't be so modest. ...It's so obvious that the song is about you. :mad:

Clearly, he is singing, "CG don't you tease me no more"

Shut up. It's about the unicorn people from the cloud land of dreams and sweet smelling farts. Stupid. :mad: The farts are symbolic of celestial love through the vapors of exsistenceland. Duh.

Back
Top Bottom