Skinhead girls in Derek Ridgers photo revealed - Caroline and Debbie

Who are the subjects in the iconic "Skinhead girls, Bank Holiday, Brighton 1980" photo by Derek Ridgers used in Morrissey's 1992 "Your Arsenal" tour as a backdrop and merchandise (t-shirt, program cover)? Finally we know - Caroline and Debbie. Both were together recently and surprisingly, both learned just last weekend (Aug. 2016) about the use of the photo on Morrissey's tour 24 years ago.

Debbie writes through emails:

I am one of the skinhead girls in the photo as I have just found out my picture was used... Caroline on the left, I'm on the right (in both 1980 and 2016 photos, below). She moved to Australia and was over last weekend. That's when we found out via Google about the photo, such a shock but a nice one. Eyes nearly popped out when we saw the huge backdrop of us.

I have been in touch with Derek, he is sending us a photo as we never got one. Sent him a photo of what we look like now and he thinks we haven't changed (well, longer hair and older). Does anyone have any tour mementos?

Caroline lives in Perth, Australia, is married with 3 children and also a granny.

I live in Surrey, married, with 1 son and work in community nursing.

We was both wild when young, me being the worst as my mum tells me.

39067_skinhead_girls_caroline_debbie.jpg

39066_derekridgers_archive.jpg

Related items:

Oh come on ladies, get the clippers out and recreate that pic, before you go your separate ways.

If only Benny could get a girl friend like these two then maybe he'll get a real commitment rather than being on this website.

HAHAHA.

I remember all the Lesbians loving this pic and buying this shirt faster than a Brit/Euro buys a New York Yankee Baseball Cap and these women are married with kids. This is what I mean about all the gay crap. Look at what Jake is doing now and his life. He's definitely not gay. Morrissey is not gay. Look at my avatar. Look at the pic Nancy Sinatra posted on behalf of Morrissey on TTY. It's the same pic and yes, has been posted on this site before. Can you people wake up?

Ok. First What is Jake doing with his life??:confused: and second, How would you define a person who is gay? How can you tell if someone is "gay"?? There are many people who try to camouflage their sexual orientation so how can you kow that? o_O

Must be strange to suddenly discover years later that your image has been used as a huge backdrop/T-shirts/tour programmes, etc (also probably a bit gutting that no-one but Morrissey made any money out of those T-shirt sales!).

But I suppose a similar situation could happen to any of us? Maybe David Tseng will discover he was used as the backdrop of a Stevie Wonder tour one time, or Bennie the Butcher's face is on millions of Barry Manilow T-shirts?

A boy can dream...

I used to have this t-shirt from the Your Arsenal tour. Wish I still did after seeing what they go for on eBay.

Amazing story.
Two very lovely ladies.
They look more stunning now
than in the original photo.

Must be strange to suddenly discover years later that your image has been used as a huge backdrop/T-shirts/tour programmes, etc (also probably a bit gutting that no-one but Morrissey made any money out of those T-shirt sales!).

But I suppose a similar situation could happen to any of us? Maybe David Tseng will discover he was used as the backdrop of a Stevie Wonder tour one time, or Bennie the Butcher's face is on millions of Barry Manilow T-shirts?

Yeah, people using your image or, like, in my case, my entire bleeding LIFE, to write songs about and go on to make ass loads of money and never even reply to your emails anymore, much less toss you a nickle. It's a bit annoying. This apparently, former, "friend" of mine isn't mainstream, but she's had her songs used on loads of popular television series and in a few films. There's money in the film thing. I know a few song writers who have been picked up for films and made some pretty decent money for it.
I know that she dodges me because she figures I'll pull her up on her material source.
I guess it's better to have had songs written about you than not.
I'm so glad to have been of some use to her. She's a great writer. I suppose it's validating on some level that my life was creatively inspiring and that some top notch verse was scribbled about me! Worse things have happened to me!

I can't work out what you guys are actually concerned about. Does it matter if Morrissey is gay or not. Would you burn his records if he is? Why does it matter to you if the two skinhead girls are straight? Seriously, what was the point of your comment?

The only Debbie I remember was from the Solo chatroom and she was a nurse living near Isle of Dogs.

Who are the subjects in the iconic "Skinhead girls, Bank Holiday, Brighton 1980" photo by Derek Ridgers used in Morrissey's 1992 "Your Arsenal" tour as a backdrop and merchandise (t-shirt, program cover)? Finally we know - Caroline and Debbie. Both were together recently and surprisingly, both learned just last weekend (Aug. 2016) about the use of the photo on Morrissey's tour 24 years ago.

I am one of the skinhead girls in the photo as I have just found out my picture was used... Caroline on the left, I'm on the right (in both 1980 and 2016 photos, below). She moved to Australia and was over last weekend. That's when we found out via Google about the photo, such a shock but a nice one. Eyes nearly popped out when we saw the huge backdrop of us.

I have been in touch with Derek, he is sending us a photo as we never got one. Sent him a photo of what we look like now and he thinks we haven't changed (well, longer hair and older). Does anyone have any tour mementos?

Caroline lives in Perth, Australia, is married with 3 children and also a granny.

Related items:
I have an original skinhead girls t shirt for sale of anyone is interested !!! I'm trying to sell it fast because I need $

Related items:
I have an original skin head girls morrissey t shirt for sale!!! Someone please buy it I need $ :(

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom