Site moderation feedback

Thanks for that explanation, @davidt, since I have never seen an explanation about what the report button is actually for. Are there any other examples?
If you see something serious like personal information being posted or spam feel free to use the report button to alert mods and we'll take a look.

If you see something serious like personal information being posted or spam feel free to use the report button to alert mods and we'll take a look.
Thank you

Not about moderation, but I don't know where to ask. I found a video of Morrissey on Saturday Night Live in 1992, doing Glamorous Glue and Suedehead. Youtube always takes it down but it popped up elsewhere. I downloaded it and don't know how to upload it from my computer here or if that's even possible. Or maybe it's already here on the site? Please advise? Thank you.

Not about moderation, but I don't know where to ask. I found a video of Morrissey on Saturday Night Live in 1992, doing Glamorous Glue and Suedehead. Youtube always takes it down but it popped up elsewhere. I downloaded it and don't know how to upload it from my computer here or if that's even possible. Or maybe it's already here on the site? Please advise? Thank you.
I & others have shared it in the downloads section over the years. This site won't physically host the video, but you can upload it to somewhere like vimeo (who care far less than YT about content) and post the link or upload it to a file sharing site and do similar.
FWD.

I & others have shared it in the downloads section over the years. This site won't physically host the video, but you can upload it to somewhere like vimeo (who care far less than YT about content) and post the link or upload it to a file sharing site and do similar.
FWD.
Thank you, FWD, if it's already here I won't repost it, I just wanted it preserved

Research is everything.GodEmperorMorrissey is correct :thumb:

Hello mods. why can't I reply to some threads - 'You have insufficient privileges to reply to this thread' ?
As they are archived threads due to inactivity &/or time passing.
If there's a particular thread you need to post on, private message me the link & it can be sorted.
FWD.

The site archives articles using specific dating conventions where possible / appropriate.
This has existed for years and is visible on hundreds if not thousands of posts.
The Wiki will become more important as time goes on and interlinking clearly denoted site articles is something that needs structure & consistency - a regular framing of date helps with that and facilities easier cross-referencing. Those editorial "rights" are part and parcel of engaging with almost every public forum online.
As the site is hosted & maintained in the US, that date structure is the default setting and is respected when engaging with site mechanics.
When anyone submits an article, it is made clear that they may be edited for things like promotion - this can also be for clarity, to be less ambiguous, address baiting, to credit sources, dating and a whole other host of reasons that do not need overexplaining.
Similarly, Central posts don't get lumped / conflated together in to one post if they are reasonably distinct and feature, for example, new Morrissey quotes. Same goes for screenshots - if Morrissey makes a statement, it is quoted as text and will be edited as such. If every Central post was a screencap, nobody would be able to use the internal search tool or an external search engine as there'd be nothing to find.
FWD.

Not a moderation thing really, but I was posting about Johnny Marr's canceled flight in Other Music, and could not find a way to post it in the Johnny Marr section. So, if it matters, can you please move it to the right place? If it doesn't matter, do whatever you like, it's just a few funny posts about his flight being canceled. Thank you.

Not a moderation thing really, but I was posting about Johnny Marr's canceled flight in Other Music, and could not find a way to post it in the Johnny Marr section. So, if it matters, can you please move it to the right place? If it doesn't matter, do whatever you like, it's just a few funny posts about his flight being canceled. Thank you.

As you used the tag function, it is doing what you wanted.
Screenshot_20230812-113304~2.png

There isn't a Marr-specific section, but when tagged - all posts in other music are aggregated under Marr. Hope that makes sense.
Regards,
FWD.

@davidt
I don’t blame the moderators for this, because I assume it’s automatic. Because I’m aware there’s a delay because the moderator’s need to screen anon’s posts before they can be posted(?)

But sometimes I reply to a comment that was just made, and I assume my comment will follow their comment. But sometimes when I go back later, I’ll find that an anon’s comment will suddenly pop up between the comment and my reply to it, because it wasn’t there before, which inadvertently causes my post to not make much sense.

So, instead of having to actually quote the person’s post I’m replying to, is there anyway this can be remedied?

Last edited:
@davidt
I don’t blame the moderators for this, because I assume it’s automatic. Because I’m aware there’s a delay because the moderator’s need to screen anon’s posts before they can be posted(?)

But sometimes I reply to a comment that was just made, and I assume my comment will follow their comment. But sometimes when I go back later, I’ll find that an anon’s comment will suddenly pop up between the comment and my reply to it, because it wasn’t there before, which inadvertently causes my post to not make much sense.

So, instead of having to actually quote the person’s post I’m replying to, is there anyway this can be remedied?

That's happened to me before, too. I agree: Anons' posts should go in at the time they're approved, not at the time they're made.

Snip ✂️

Edit:
Makes sense now. See below.

You'll have to be a bit more specific.
If you are replying to an anon post, it has already been approved. It is managed by time stamp. If the anon's predates yours and it isn't approved for an hour - for whatever reason, it will still 'sit' at the time it was posted (and you won't have seen it to reply to in the first place).
If you could point to an incidence of this, it would help.
I haven't seen any out of sequence replies myself and I'm here a lot...
FWD.

For me, it's a case of replying to post A, and in between post A and my response will later appear the anon's post, which might say something very similar to what I posted, making me look like I parroted the anon.

You'll have to be a bit more specific.
If you are replying to an anon post, it has already been approved. It is managed by time stamp. If the anon's predates yours and it isn't approved for an hour - for whatever reason, it will still 'sit' at the time it was posted (and you won't have seen it to reply to in the first place).
If you could point to an incidence of this, it would help.
I haven't seen any out of sequence replies myself and I'm here a lot...
FWD.

I replied to Klaus (not quoting him) then when I checked back, anon ‘jet’s post popped up between them.

For me, it's a case of replying to post A, and in between post A and my response will later appear the anon's post, which might say something very similar to what I posted, making me look like I parroted the anon.
Ah, right.
Well, that is unfortunate, but an aspect of having posts to approve that meets real world time factors. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that as anons would argue the inverse.
There is no surefire way to have 'live' comments by anons, so time constraints will always be a factor - as too: how the post approval system works.
If an anon wants that ability then registering is the way round that.
David may have some technical information to share, but I'm guessing this is just one of those things that will have to be tolerated for the greater good.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom