Siouxsie on Morrissey - brief quote in tomorrow's Guardian...

lutewhine

"I did a single with Morrissey once, but the video didn't turn out well. He wanted to use a bulldog with us in it, and there was some flirtation with union jacks and nationalism too.

I thought 'OK I see where you're going with this', and said 'Can't you pick another dog, like a Chihuahua?' He ended up saying 'What's wrong with being nationalistic?' so we had a spat about that.

It wasn't really a row, but the next day he told me not to come back because I was too aggressive."

"I did a single with Morrissey once, but the video didn't turn out well. He wanted to use a bulldog with us in it, and there was some flirtation with union jacks and nationalism too.

I thought 'OK I see where you're going with this', and said 'Can't you pick another dog, like a Chihuahua?' He ended up saying 'What's wrong with being nationalistic?' so we had a spat about that.

It wasn't really a row, but the next day he told me not to come back because I was too aggressive."

So Morrissey's interpretation of "Interlude" was not with the lover in the song but with England. Otherwise where would the nationalism and the Bulldog fit in?

Thank you very much for posting.
How did you get it?

It's not found in their website yet.

there's also this:

"Well, I did this duet with Morrissey 'cause he was constantly sending me a lot of strange letters at that time (1991 to 1993). I thought it might be a good idea to do something with him. During the recording session, he was quite shy & then when we tried to shoot a video for the song, things went worse . I realised that he hadn't a great sense of humour... ok let's say his sense of humour is different from mine. He was quite weird 'cause he didn't dare to tell me things frankly in the eye. Instead of that, he was sending the manager to let me know unpleasant remarks & ideas he had ( like showing some images of skinheads). I said: ok it's over.. it's enough for me, definitely too much ."

Interesting! Siouxsie is one of my faves. A friend said she considered Siouxsie and Morrissey to be her spiritual parents. I feel similarly though I am too old to consider them my parents. Older sibs, more like.

I suppose people change, but wasn't Siouxsie wearing a Nazi swastika in the 70s during that infamous Sex Pistols tv interview? Who is she to get uptight about skinheads and bulldogs? Then again, the use of Nazi symbols for shock value probably sensitized her to the problems of such practices. Or maybe she just didn't like the wussy way Moz dealt with her by having some intermediary go back and forth to tell her stuff.

Anyroad, Siouxsie is touring soon!

Also, it would've been capital if they shot a video with a chihuahua, homeless even! :p

So he said 'What's wrong with being nationalistic?'

Every other time she's told this story (and she's told it fairly often) she's had Morrissey saying 'What's wrong with being patriotic?'

Nothing like using the power of one word to join the mob in a good kicking is there? The Guardian laps all this up of course.

This is moronic. Morrissey did use that imagery elsewhere. It's a matter of public record. The quote makes it sound like Siouxsie is whispering some juicy, damning gossip about Morrissey when in reality it's old news-- not only because we've already seen the imagery but because Siouxsie herself told the story years ago.

And no, "Interlude" isn't about his love affair with England, although I would be thrilled if it were. By using the nationalistic imagery and recording a pop song about his love affair with England-- er, what does that make Siouxsie, the embodiment of dear old Blighty?-- it would show how depoliticized/aestheticized his nationalism really was. Maybe all those stage backdrops and flags were just that-- cute props denoting nothing more than a passing fancy of his for certain cultural tokens.

The chihuahua thing is hilarious.
That said, I do believe that while Siouxsie and others wore nazi swastikas as a sign of irreverence - and it was quite a common fashion accessory at the time- Morrissey's use of the union jack would be a matter of patriotism.
If he really said 'what's wrong with being nationalistic/patriotic/whatever" then props to him. People should be free to think by themselves and express their ideals, a nationalistic or patriotic statement is not necessarily a direspectful one.

I really liked to read David Quantick's words on this subject on that Word magazine article.

Re: Siouxsie & Morrissey

Very funny:

- Siouxie wears a SWASTIKA arm-band during her punk days. And her songs on the 1st Siouxie & Banshees album "The Scream" also have many nazi german references.

- Morrissey waves a Union Jack @ Finsbury Park. Just before "Brit Pop" and "Cool Brittannia". The following week all the music papers are raving about "NEW ENGLAND"; Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Robbie Williams, etc.

Patsy Kensit & Liam Gallagher photographed in bed with UNION JACK duvet covers. Let alone the Spice Girls.....

Didn't she have a few minor hits in the 70's or 80's?

..:)

She probably deliberately went to Jonze so that she could stick the boot in. She was on the radio a couple of years ago having a rant about Morrissey. He obviously upset her quite a lot.

She probably deliberately went to Jonze so that she could stick the boot in. She was on the radio a couple of years ago having a rant about Morrissey. He obviously upset her quite a lot.

Hmmm...I vaguely remember watching Siouxsie was talking about Morrissey on Channel 4's Jo Wylie show about 5, 6 years ago.
In that programme she was diplomatic, wasn't bitchy though. :confused:

Last edited:
Hmmm...I vaguely remember watching Souxsie was talking about Morrissey on Channel 4's Jo Wylie show about 5, 6 years ago.
In that programme she was diplomatic, wasn't bitchy though. :confused:

It was more recent than that. It was reported on the homepage. She was basically telling the same story as this article but said she couldn't stand him.

good old tim he wont let you down

i think the use of the word hits is a bit of a strech

I was trying to be gentle as well..:)

She did have a hit. With Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom