Silly season Gretchen question

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date

Do you actively look out for new music releases and new artists?

• Yes, I actively do that.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Not actively, but sometimes I come across sth. interesting.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I'm more interested in reissues of the older, better stuff; real music that really mattered.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am enduring them passive-aggressively. Can't escape 'em.

• I'm almost deaf by now, so, no, I can't, lucky bastard that I am.

• So far, I have successfully avoided all contact with new music and artist.

• None of your f***ing business.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please comment)

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 28602

Do you actively look out for new music releases (besides Morrissey's and this other guy's) by new artists?

Anything new you have discovered recently that was worth your valuable time and money?

Have you given up? When and why?

I’ve lost my faith in modern popular song, and need to go back as far as the 90’s and earlier (mostly) to quench that thirst.

The last group that really excited my earholes has been DEATH GRIPS, below is my favorite album of theirs ….

As far as modern music goes, I still find interesting music being made in the ‘experimental’ genre. Found mostly through Bandcamp ( new and reissues) and reading online reviews, making connections to similar artists, etc.

Modern indie and modern commercial music is mostly garbage, but there are a few others select genres that I am more than happy to stay up to date with.

Modern indie and modern commercial music is mostly garbage, but there are a few others select genres that I am more than happy to stay up to date with.

Maybe it’s as simple as… the singer songwriter has gone as far as they could with the pop song? And maybe I’m jaded after years of listening to the greats like Reed, Cohen, Mitchell, Morrissey, Bowie, Smith, etc. The bar has been set high.

Of course some of the younger generation may find new pop songs exciting because they’re not in tune with what’s gone before, or don’t care to explore, and that’s good enough for them. Also, I’m sure our ear/taste are trained to find pleasurable a certain sound, so they may not find analog recordings and/or older productions etc as pleasurable to their ear (?) maybe.

Last edited:
I’ve lost my faith in modern popular song, and need to go back as far as the 90’s and earlier (mostly) to quench that thirst.

The last group that really excited my earholes has been DEATH GRIPS, below is my favorite album of theirs ….

As far as modern music goes, I still find interesting music being made in the ‘experimental’ genre. Found mostly through Bandcamp ( new and reissues) and reading online reviews, making connections to similar artists, etc.

bandcamp is a good source to explore music.

Garbage can be exciting, which i often look for in vain in modern music by new artists. What genres do stay up to date with?

bandcamp is a good source to explore music.

Yeah, I’m always listening to their best of lists, etc to get a general idea of what people are offering these days.

Maybe it’s as simple as… the singer songwriter has gone as far as they could with the pop song? And maybe I’m jaded after years of listening to the greats like Reed, Cohen, Mitchell, Morrissey, Bowie, Smith, etc. The bar has been set high.

Of course some of the younger generation may find new pop songs exciting because they’re not in tune with what’s gone before, or don’t care to explore, and that’s good enough for them. Also, I’m sure our ear/taste are trained to find pleasurable a certain sound, so they may not find analog recordings and/or older productions etc as pleasurable to their ear (?) maybe.
But as soon as it is presented to them, they go for it, s. Kate Bush. I know from my own experience that especially girls of the younger generations love listening to Neil Diamond hits while partying and chilling out.

What I am missing is a dedicated source to introduce new music to folks my age. But I think, with my taste in music I belong to a minority, and that's why nobody cares to enlighten me. For me it's easier to discover interesting tunes of the past than of the present.

Yeah, I’m always listening to their best of lists, etc to get a general idea of what people are offering these days.
These lists are pretty generic, and probably that's the problem nowadays with record labels only wanting to sell genre music whose elements can easily be recognized easily by audiences, which makes them more willing to go for the product.

But as soon as it is presented to them, they go for it, s. Kate Bush.

Besides it simply being a genius of a song. If it’s ‘sold’ presented in the right context then it’ll catch on.

Also the general sound of ‘Running’ and that period of music has been influential on the Chillwave/vaporwave, etc genre. Even popular radio music with its use of synth isn’t that far away from that sound. Anyway, Kate was ahead of her time. So a younger generation’s ear is kinda in tune to it already, so it doesn’t sound so alien to them, making it more welcoming.

I know from my own experience that especially girls of the younger generations love listening to Neil Diamond hits while partying and chilling out.
On the surface, sure. But will they explore it or music of that period deeper on their own?

What I am missing is a dedicated source to introduce new music to folks my age. But I think, with my taste in music I belong to a minority, and that's why nobody cares to enlighten me. For me it's easier to discover interesting tunes of the past than of the present.

Last edited:
These lists are pretty generic, and probably that's the problem nowadays with record labels only wanting to sell genre music whose elements can easily be recognized easily by audiences, which makes them more willing to go for the product.
The lists on Bandcamp are not bad, to just get a general view. And I don’t think it’s that label driven, anyone can post their recordings up there. And one can always go deeper, using them as a starting point.

I also listen to WFMU you can stream live or listen to archives of any show on there, which offer a wide variety of the new and obscure ….

Archive calendar, just click on ‘playlist’ in any of the boxes to hear that show ….

You may have to go through some before you find the right DJ’s for you, yes it is a real radio station, no commercials.

Last edited:
Garbage can be exciting, which i often look for in vain in modern music by new artists. What genres do stay up to date with?
I’m very keen on dark ambient, and especially the labels Cryo Chamber and Cyclic Law, and also alternative country and artists like Benjamin Tod, Colter Wall and Vincent Neil Emerson, and I love experimental artists like Lingua Ignota, Chelsea Wolfe and Ossler. To name but a fraction of the stuff I enjoy besides our Mozzer.

I’m very keen on dark ambient, and especially the labels Cryo Chamber and Cyclic Law, and also alternative country and artists like Benjamin Tod, Colter Wall and Vincent Neil Emerson, and I love experimental artists like Lingua Ignota, Chelsea Wolfe and Ossler. To name but a fraction of the stuff I enjoy besides our Mozzer.

Not as operatic as Ignota, but maybe you’ll dig this …..

Not as operatic as Ignota, but maybe you’ll dig this …..

Thanks! Just reading the bio I’m intrigued.

Death Grips are amazing! Have you checked out Clipping as well? They’re in a similar industrial/experimental hip-hop vein.

Lingua Ignota is great. Very overwhelming and disturbing, but also cathartic at the same time. Her last album in particular was stunning.

Besides it simply being a genius of a song. If it’s ‘sold’ presented in the right context then it’ll catch on.

Also the general sound of ‘Running’ and that period of music has been influential on the Chillwave/vaporwave, etc genre. Even popular radio music with its use of synth isn’t that far away from that sound. Anyway, Kate was ahead of her time. So a younger generation’s ear is kinda in tune to it already, so it doesn’t sound so alien to them, making it more welcoming.

On the surface, sure. But will they explore it or music of that period deeper on their own?
It's also important who is presenting the song/artist, and here it is a sympathetic netflix character in need. In my days back then it were vjs on MTV, but i can't remember whether they were daring enough to present rock/pop classics besides the mainstream hits they were instructed to present 24/7.

Not sure, if it is a generally shared characteristic of young folks to explore music. You need someone in a peer group with a good standing or cool reputation, and he or she might have some influence on the others.

Some random artists / bands...

Tindersticks, Bettie Serveert, Godspeed You Black Emperor, The Triffids, Barry Adamson, Micah P Hinson, The Handsome Family, Daniel Knox, Laura Gibson, Mississippi John Hurt, Nina Nastasia, Portishead, C W Stoneking, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Dirty Three...

(There are more, but that'll do for now)

You can all thank me later!

The lists on Bandcamp are not bad, to just get a general view. And I don’t think it’s that label driven, anyone can post their recordings up there. And one can always go deeper, using them as a starting point.

I also listen to WFMU you can stream live or listen to archives of any show on there, which offer a wide variety of the new and obscure ….

Archive calendar, just click on ‘playlist’ in any of the boxes to hear that show ….

You may have to go through some before you find the right DJ’s for you, yes it is a real radio station, no commercials.
Thanks, looks interesting. I wonder if there is something similar for the european market.

Lingua Ignota is great. Very overwhelming and disturbing, but also cathartic at the same time. Her last album in particular was stunning.
Yes! One of the very best albums of last year.

Back
Top Bottom