Silence of the Mozzer - Moz strangely silent around release of new album

I could easily make a list of at least a half dozen things they could do right now to generate interest that would not involve much money or Morrissey's involvement. I am being fair.

- Add a comprehensive biography and downloadable promo photos to the Harvest website
- Create other downloadable assets for fans—desktop/phone wallpapers, printable mini posters, etc.
- Start an official Twitter account that makes clear it's label-run, similar to the Facebook account (and then keep it updated!)
- Respond to fan queries on social media
- Turn the art microsite into an actual promotion, i.e. have an actual screening process, voting, and some sort of prize (Ultimate Bundle?)
- Sponsor album giveaways with independent blogs that have large audiences

This is how you get people to share with friends, retweet/repost, and increase awareness about the fact that there's even a new album in the first place—don't underestimate the most simple things. None of these very basic things are happening, and that's a real shame. I appreciate what they have done and of course I wish Morrissey were capable of giving the album the kind of promotion it really needs himself, but I'm very surprised that Harvest isn't at least trying to push it a bit further. It's not all about the first week of sales.

None of that is new. People want NEW content. Not stuff they can find elsewhere. Why would you repeat stuff? You don't draw in people like that, you draw them in with new content. Go work for them. Tell them what to do. Cos clearly it ain't working for Harvest.

P.

I could easily make a list of at least a half dozen things they could do right now to generate interest that would not involve much money or Morrissey's involvement. I am being fair.

- Add a comprehensive biography and downloadable promo photos to the Harvest website
- Create other downloadable assets for fans—desktop/phone wallpapers, printable mini posters, etc.
- Start an official Twitter account that makes clear it's label-run, similar to the Facebook account (and then keep it updated!)
- Respond to fan queries on social media
- Turn the art microsite into an actual promotion, i.e. have an actual screening process, voting, and some sort of prize (Ultimate Bundle?)
- Sponsor album giveaways with independent blogs that have large audiences

This is how you get people to share with friends, retweet/repost, and increase awareness about the fact that there's even a new album in the first place—don't underestimate the most simple things. None of these very basic things are happening, and that's a real shame. I appreciate what they have done and of course I wish Morrissey were capable of giving the album the kind of promotion it really needs himself, but I'm very surprised that Harvest isn't at least trying to push it a bit further. It's not all about the first week of sales.

all of this just for starters. all of this

None of that is new. People want NEW content. Not stuff they can find elsewhere. Why would you repeat stuff? You don't draw in people like that, you draw them in with new content. Go work for them. Tell them what to do. Cos clearly it ain't working for Harvest.

These ideas were based on the premise that there is next to zero budget remaining, as you suggested. I definitely wasn't suggesting repeating anything—my whole point is that it all needs to be NEW, so that fans keep coming back for more (and sharing with others). I didn't realize they'd already done all (or any!) of these things. None of it ever crossed my radar, that's for sure.

Sorry.

how you do it counts as well, i.e what you type on that blog or twitter account for example. also doesnt mean if its not new that it wont be new to certain people and draw them in for the first time or back. ive stumbled over plenty of things i once used to read a lot only to be reinvigorated when ive stumbled back over them but i cant do that if they arent there. as someone mentioned before al was all over the internet it non old fashioned ways and im not saying all his success is do to that, its the right time as well, but it for sure helped a lot.

on a non morrissey note i just got news i won my court case and stuck it to a few poeple i thought deserved it. hoo ray hoo ray

I was kind of hoping he'd do a promotional Grumpy Cat/Moz mashup calendar. He'd make a fortune and end up stealing some of Weird Al's sales. ;)

It is a bummer that he has been so quiet. I would love to hear him talk about the production and recording...and the inspiration behind some of these songs.

I'd love to hear him say...well...anything.

how you do it counts as well, i.e what you type on that blog or twitter account for example. also doesnt mean if its not new that it wont be new to certain people and draw them in for the first time or back.

Absolutely, and we do have to remember that there are a lot of casual Morrissey fans for whom all of this stuff is new. It's even unfortunate that there's no official Morrissey website in Google's search results (and yes, I accept that Morrissey wants TTY to function as such, but if Harvest were smarter, they'd at least have official artist microsites—of course, they don't have them for any of their artists). Not every fan is a cynic, and not every person interested in Morrissey has seen everything already.

on a non morrissey note i just got news i won my court case and stuck it to a few poeple i thought deserved it. hoo ray hoo ray

Congrats!

Last edited:
yeah i was so excited i bungled my typing more than usual but thanks. i was kinda mean to them there but they deserved it. morrissey at least here in the u.s won a lot of new maybe use to be fans casusal fans and most dont even know he has anything out which is a shame cause i cant tell them all myself. hope that thread talking about a new single is correct

If physical diseases were treated like mental illness.

CWFTYoV.png

So true. If the depression thing is correct I hope he's doing ok.

Well, the True To You statement shows that Morrissey hasn't taken a complete vow of silence, and can speak when he feels like it.

It may all be nothing but rumours, but I have heard rumblings to the effect that Morrissey is currently refusing to promote the new album, as he is displeased with Harvest's inability to get any radio play/success with the download only 'singles'. Presumably he was expecting these would chart highly.

Back
Top Bottom