should we boycott loafing oaf? what's the consensus?

Re: no (isn't that in Nevada?)

> Sometimes I wish I could take that attitude, but I'm afraid I've always
> been a wholesale political junkie. It was initially the political side of
> Moz that attracted me to him, hence my interest in his stance on issues
> like environmentalism. I've explained my actions re. Oaf further above.

> Oaf is becoming increasingly personal, and I'm sure I don't know who this
> other person you're talking about could be. I've only ever seen
> individuals here treated with the utmost respect and courtesy.
> (By the way, did you see he recently started a non-abusive, Moz-related,
> almost insightful thread recently? I was almost inspired to respond with
> positive words, but I knew they'd be reciprocated with references to steel
> chairs, obesity, vice and that f***ING T-shirt!)

I'd post more about Morrissey again, but the guy is a lazy bum who refuses to put out even a new single, and he's not apparently cancelled touring the east coast and midwest. So what is there to say? Morrissey is watching American Idol on TV.

in case you didn't notice, i took it back...

i stepped down. i think you should be allowed to say whatever you want. i was just asking if others wanted to join me in not reading the political stuff. furthermore, i wasn't telling everyone to boycott you. i was asking other people, like myself, who always argue with you about political matters if they wished to boycott those threads since you really do keep repeating the same arguments over and over again.

additionally, you cannot deny that you do twist people's words and ideas to fit your argument. the MLK jr. thing was a perfect example of that. using his words, you tried to make it seem as though everybody who is against you is a racist because since they don't support belligerence on the part of israelis, they must therefore be anti-semites and racists. never mind all the gazillions of posts you and others have made slamming muslims. last time i checked, neither me nor crushing bore nor notastitch nor anyone else who has argued with you has said a single thing that anyone could say was denigrating to the jewish people.

besides you, the only other person i've ever tried to get silenced was mr. improper -- but i didn't even start that campaign. mr. improper is probably the most annoying human being (if he even is one) that i have encountered online. and believe me, i have known some assholes in the medium.

i do appreciate how you were very tolerant of my right to post and i'm sorry that you think i was trying to get you banned or anything because i wasn't. but in any case, why would i care if you didn't support the ban mr. improper thing? it's not like i even started that. i don't really mind arguing with him, but since other people decided to ignore him, i am supporting them. it's not like i keep a little tally of who sides with me. i'm not like you, after all. i don't have this black and white image of the world -- "they're either with us or they're against us." i don't think that way.

and you have launched some personal attacks in some of the political threads against people who looked to me like they were being civil. i understand slipping up. we all sometimes get personal in our posts when there is some heated debate, so i apologize for harping on that. you're not as bad as many people on this board.

and george bush definitely has some fascist leanings. in a post i made earlier today i mention some of the freedoms he has impinged upon in his alleged quest to root out terrorists, alongside some domestic issues (which this war is most certainly going to overshadow, sadly allowing such things to pass under the radar -- the american people are very easily distracted). it's not like i've been launching into conspiracy theories. then maybe i'd be demented. if i started talking about how our own government plotted to have the twin towers knocked down so as to lauch a war against terrorists that don't exist, maybe you could call me demented. and while there is some circumstantial evidence that some such conspiracy theories may have merit, i generally don't go in for those and let them be.

> I use news sources such as the BBC, the Guardian, the NY Times, Slate,
> Salon,
> The Nation, The Washington Post, as well as books by Bob Woodward, Kenneth
> Pollack. To you these are "biased." Well, yeah, everything's
> biased. But the news sources people reply to me with...well, it's almost
> always Znet. hahaha

> And oh yeah, I used a Martin Luther King Jr. quote to start this thread,
> which was to remind people that Martin Luther King Jr. condemned
> anti-semitism masquerading as anti-zionism, and from there just replied to
> what people said.

> Furthermore, I absoloutely LOVE the way you keep trying to have people who
> say things you personally dislike silenced. Who do I force to read or
> reply to a thread I start? I see how thin your claims of being all for
> freedom and free speech and thought are. Typical of people with certain
> political leanings, however....

> Anyway, I remember being the first - and one of just a few - defending
> your right to post hundreds and hundreds of messages, many not in any way
> related to Morrissey. But then I defend everyone's right to post anything
> they want. I guess you were somehow wounded that I didn't jump on your
> "Ban Mr. Improper" campaign, but I don't support that sort of
> shit on public forums. Just one of the differences between you and me,
> apparantly.

> I've only made personal attacks on those who've made personal attacks on
> me, and most of them seem to be able to handle it anyway.
> Of course you excuse personal attacks when it's someone you happen to
> agree with. I bet you don't even NOTICE the personal attacks and the
> unfair labelings (and in one instance, speculations about me being a
> jewish "zionist", which is what led me to start the MArtin
> Luther King thread...) that I've had put on me here, which again is so
> typical of people of certain leanings.

> And I'm sorry, but someone who calls the American government
> "fascist" would be the demented one (at least on that issue),
> Mindy. That's an objectively demented statement. (And if you believe it to
> be true, lord only knows why you CHOOSE to live in a "fascist"
> country.)

Re: Five last year don't count??

> lazy bum who refuses
> to put out even a new single

Try another putdown. That one doesn't work.

Re: and Bingo was his name, oh

> So you consider Morrissey's music escapist, do you?

Politcal waxings aside, I certainly think Morrissey's music is escapist. In fact, I think it fits the very definition. Most art is escapist, unless of course it is completely dominated by politcal pontificating. In Morrissey's music, the themes are either dramatized or simplified for imapct.

If by suggesting that it's not escapist, you mean, sometimes politically relevant, then I would say that these moments do not dominate his music catalog, nor do many of them override any general themes present in the songs.

Afterall, they are formulated by a man who admittedly doesn't read the newspapers, or watch the news due to the depressing nature of its content. This is hardly the position taken by someone who's craft isn't generally escapist.

I think Morrissey would have lost much of his impact if his music sought to constantly profess politcal wishes.

Re: No fear of debate - just fear of endless threads.

> No, I think, on balance, I will continue responding to Oaf's little
> offerings, if only in the hope that it may in some way keep him tethered
> to this planet to continue hearing arguments that are opposed to his own.
> Not that he listens to those, anyway. You'll notice his tendency only to
> respond to those portions of your post he has a ready-made response for.

> I have no fear of debate, but I do have a fear of endless threads with no
> Moz content, except where at the end of it all he tries to tell me Moz
> despises "people like me" (he's clearly aware that I have an
> army of brainwashed clones, towards whom Moz would have an identical
> response). The problem with Oaf is that he doesn't see people, he sees
> simplistic generic labels for them - "communists",
> "terrorists", "lefties", "Europeans".

Excuse me, but do you not notice when I'm labelled "right wing" "zionist" "fascist" etc etc etc. And I fail to see why pointing out that communists organized a rally, and that communists are amongst the contributors on zmag, is unjust. If someone supports a MArxist style overthrow of the capitalist world, that to me is communist. Why is that unfair? Everybody tells me on here that I'm being led by propagandists, well gee, why can't I say some of you are?

And you know what's the difference between me and some people? If something horrible happens as a consequence of what Bush is doing, I'll be the first to say post my horror about it and my shame in being misled. Not one person here who used to post that America was gonna commit a genocide in Afghanistan is big enough to say, "You know what, the Afghan people DO seem to be better off with the removal of the Taliban." How can that be? It really bugs me and makes me question how sincere people are about what they claim they care about, and if they're capable of learning from their mistakes.

As far as "Europeans," entire threads are created solely to slam America. Which is fine. But I'm sorry if I snort at those who call America "unilateral" or "cowboys" when America chose to go to the U.N. to uphold international law and order (indeed, America is trying to SAVE the ability of the U.N. to have relevance in international law and order) whereas certain other U.N. security counsel members seem to be just concerned with what's in their own political interests. I didn't see France go to the U.N. before sending unwelcomed troops to the Ivory Coast, and I didn't see anyone comment on that here. I didn't see Russia go to the U.N. over Chechnya. I didn't see China go to the U.N. over what they're up to in Tibet. I did see Germany using anti-Americanism cynically in a domestic political campaign, however. I guess we'll have to wait for these four governments to decide it's in their own pragmatic interests to stand up for international order, as they did in passing the last resolution, but I fail to see their moral high ground.

> You see, when he first started posting here, it seemed like he was at
> least willing to enter into some form of dialogue, and I had some
> interesting discussions with him. Lateley, however he appears to have sunk
> into a maelstrom of his own hyperbole. He has become increasingly personal
> in his attacks, and has frankly begun to sound more than a little paranoid
> at times.

Paranoid would be calling Bush a "fascist," or posting conspiracy theories.

> He seems to view the world in these ridiculous polar opposites -
> "good v evil",

When it comes to Saddam, yes it is good v. evil.

>"America v Islam/Europe",

America v. Islam? No, I've never said that. I've said modern civilization v. islamic fundamentalism.

America v. Europe? No, Europe is on the same side, generally speaking.
And some Europeans will be fighting in any coming war on Saddam. And as Tony Blair said last week in the House of Commons, if Bush wasn't standing up to Saddam, he'd be calling him up trying to convince him to.

>"with us
> or against us", "left v right",

Left v. right? Not at all, since I'm not a right winger at all. I don't much like the left or the right, and it is on the far left and the far right where you find the opposition to going after Saddam. Indeed, most of the serious opposition to a war is on the right.

My combination of views is, across the board, against totalitarianism. That's all I've ever been.

>"you agree with me or
> you're pro-Saddam/the communists/terrorism". And the thing that
> frightens me about these ridiculous dialectics is that I fear this is
> representative of how Bush and that sector of the population that supports
> him actually sees the world.

> And that's the thing - it's this kind of thinking that inspired Osama bin
> Laden when he masterminded the attacks on September 11. The objective was
> to goad America into precisely this mentality - to provoke a response
> which placed a clear dividing line between America and the muslim world,
> because when America retaliated, it could then become a rallying point for
> the whole muslim world. Of course, by and large this has thankfully not
> been the outcome - but it has worked on a small scale - and that's bin
> Laden's strategy, to keep provoking America into a polarised response.

> Loafing Oaf will flame me to buggery for saying this, but at a certain
> level (and he'll likewise ignore that qualification - shades of grey not
> being his strongpoint) he is actually doing the work of the terrorists for
> them by allowing himself to be so provoked.

*snort* Tell me, though, since Bush began the war on terrorism, how many 9/11's have taken place, and how many times have you seen Usama bin Laden?

My feeling is (and the words of Usama bin LAden himself back me up) that he viewed the Black Hawk Down incident in Somalia (excellent movie on that btw), and the response to the first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center, as well as the reckless missile attack on a Sudan medicine factory and a few tents in Afghanistan, as proof that America was soft, and all America would do in response to terrorism would be to file some law suits and launch a useless missile or two that do nothing but give good PR to the president.

My feeling is that , if there'd been no strong response to 9/11, we'd have witnesses several other cities around the world suffer similar or worse attacks. We still may, but I think since the war on terrorism began, it's been reported that 100s of terrorist attacks have been prevented.

I was always taught, when faced with a bully, you stand up and be strong.

> I have no problem with Loafing's posting various news articles which
> support his position, so long as he's actually read them first. It is
> important in any such debate to continually have your viewpoint challenged
> by others, and I am perfectly open to changing my position on anything if
> given enough reason to do so. At least they show some broader research on
> the Oaf's behalf.

And I guess you don't notice that many of the articles I link to or post are written by LEFTISTS whom I admire.

Because the fact is, the *intelligent*, *thinking* LEFT is where I came to my support for Bush's foreign policies with respect to the war on terrorism.

> Finally, my biggest problem with him is that he has become soooo defensive
> and unquestioning about America's moral supremacy in world geo-politics,

But I have attacked lots of America's foreign policies. I know what I've posted and I know what i believe, and there's plenty actions I feel were not in line with American ideals (I think the Cold War made everything murky). Although I think the past 15 years has seen Ameican foreign policy take a dramatic turn for the good, with a couple large exceptions.

And it's one thing to oppose immoral or short-sighted interventions, which is right to do. It's another thing to only come out and protest those wrong interventions long after they occurred, and doing so only to oppose a current intervention that just might be moral and just, and seeming not to care to work out if it would be moral and just. I didn't see the marches against Reagan's team when they intervened in Iraq. I do see the marches against Bush when he's intervening for the good. Well, yeah, of course whether it's for the good is debatable. But IMO, there's a long list of examples of good interventions and uses of the military, and a long list of bad ones, and so I'm gonna try and work out what the good ones are and support those. I'm not going to *automatically* condemn any American intervention. Not when to take that view would have led to such horrible consequences in Kosovo, Afghanistan, and back when Saddam invaded Kuwait, to name just a few. And not when there's so few other nations willing to do the job instead.

My beef is, I don't see much effort from people trying to work out the morality in policies. They're just against anything America does, period. And no, they have no ideas for what the policy should be.

> he mouths off at Europeans, as if that were some form of generic insult
> (to the exclusion my antipodean snivelling leftie nonsense, most
> infuriating!). Yet in an earlier post, he acknowledged to me that he felt
> both Carter and Reagan were both morally bankrupt (at least in an
> international relations sense).

See, I attacked Carter and Reagan. Fair and balanced, as the lovely Laurie Duhe says on FOX NEWS.

> This is what frightens me- that since September 11, for the first time in
> recent history, America now has the opportunity to portray itself, and
> justify its behaviour as a victim - and America was a victim on September
> 11, of course, but in the greater scheme of things remains the world's
> only superpower.

Yes, and what did America do after being attacked? They patiently put together a very rational, controlled, wise plan to oust the Taliban. They waited weeks and weeks and weeks before they responded. And the manner and swiftness in which they fought the Taliban is one of the things I think America can be completely proud of. No one has ever fought a war with such care, to my knowledge. We changed the course of a country for the better in just a few weeks time with shockingly few civilians caught in the crossfire and countless civilian lives saved. Millions of exiled Afghans have poured back in.

>But it's now a superpower which has a mechanism to feel
> morally upright when it interferes in and seeks to dominate world affairs.
> That's what shines through in Mr. Oaf, and in his attitude, I fear I see
> the attitude of middle America - an America that would once have baulked
> more strongly at it's country's aggressive posturing on the global stage.
> And that's why I won't be boycotting him, because we all (wherever we live
> - the Bali bombing showed us that) ignore that attitude at our peril, and
> we must all continue to have a dialogue with it, because at the moment
> some essentially good people, and an essentially great nation are planning
> some diabolical things.

Diabolical?

Refresher:

-Saddam invaded Kuwait.
-Saddam did not leave Kuwait until they were forced to by the international community and it's armies.
-Saddam signed a cease fire agreement, in which he was to fully disarm.
-Saddam proceded to ignore this cease fire agreement, and breach every U.N.
resolution for 11 years.
-The U.N. imposed sanctions on Iraq to try and force compliance short of going back to war, and the sanctions have not worked, and indeed Saddam has been able to make the IRaqi people suffer greatly under them.
-What to do now?
-If you let Saddam get away with it, and just say, "well, I guess we'll just call it a day on that and go home," what you are saying is there is no international law and order, that it is the law of the jungle.
-The only other option, it seems to me, is to have called for one more chance for Saddam to disarm, under a strong resolution with international support, and put a gun to Saddam's head. If someone told me one other option that would face the policy of the 90s failed, but would guarantee the threat of Saddam would be ended, I'd go along with it in a heartbeat. War is the last resport, but it's looking like we're at the last resort to me.

I hope to see Saddam on trial by this summer.

> Removing these people even further from discourse with the world would be
> to all our detriment.

Well thank ya.

Look, I'm well aware most people don't wanna read this shit. But it's clearly labeled in the subject headings, so what the f*** is the issue?

Just Mindy's drama. She only succeeded in continuing the thread. : P

> Im looking forward to the State of Union Show on Tuesday.

YEah, kick ass!

>Does anyone know
> who doing the Democratic rebuttal?

Are the Democrats still relevant enough to warrant airtime?

Re: but, Al?

> I'm just wondering how many more prongs Dunbya will add to the Axis of
> Evil this year. He's got to find a way to get Cuba in there, somehow!

> And from where I sit, ie Australia, doesn't matter if they get Britney
> Spears to do a striptease while reading the Democratic rebuttal - it will
> get no coverage WHATSOEVER (that may, of course, be different Sateside). I
> didn't even know the Democrats got a rebuttal.

> What about just getting up and saying "but that guy wasn't even
> elected" and sitting down again? Bound to get media.

Yawn. See it's always just about Bush and your dislike for Bush. What about carefully weighing the policy options to work out what is best for Iraq, the Middle East, the world? Every president I've ever hated, I've been big enough to acknowledge the good things they did. But no, everything's just about "I don't like Bush!!! Period!" Do you really think it would be so different had Gore gotten in there? Wasn't Gore V.P. when we bombed Iraq last?

Re: i think oaf wants to marry sharon -- he does have two girls names!

> just kidding.

> but you are absolutely right. it's sad because a lot of americans feel the
> same way as oaf. the american people are incredibly gullible on these
> points.

Oh but you're a swift one with your "America is fascist" line.

> one thing that amuses me is that my father, who is a staunch republican
> and a civil war and WW2 buff and who was guilt-tripped into buying one of
> those franklin mint reproductions of the twin towers (all proceeds going
> to helping victims of 9-11), is completely against this war. i was shocked
> when he told me so, but also greatly relieved that my dad isn't the sheep
> i feared he might be.

It shouldn't amuse you. Like I just posted elsewhere in this thread, the strongest opposition to a war is on the right wing.

I talk to such people often on Yahoo, too. They're usually all about, "We just gotta put walls around our borders and keep the a-rabs out! And why are we backing ISrael!!"

> just kidding.

> but you are absolutely right. it's sad because a lot of americans feel the
> same way as oaf. the american people are incredibly gullible on these
> points.

Oh, and if you're gonna say I made a personal attack on you, once again I was replying to you calling me "gullible." Since I know you think you of the left have the right to make attacks without anyone attacking back.

> Oh but you're a swift one with your "America is fascist" line.

i don't think AMERICA is fascist because i know that AMERICA is not a country. it's composed of two continents. don't misquote me.

> It shouldn't amuse you. Like I just posted elsewhere in this thread, the
> strongest opposition to a war is on the right wing.

really? yeah, the turnout at anti-war rallies is mostly republican. oh wait, no.

> I talk to such people often on Yahoo, too. They're usually all about,
> "We just gotta put walls around our borders and keep the a-rabs out!
> And why are we backing ISrael!!"

that comment about borders is funny, since, if memory serves, you were the one complaining about illegal arab immigrants. only retards think arabs get over here by crossing borders. and my dad is more of an isolationist. he thinks we should let those stoneage f***s kill themselves since they've been fighting since the dawn of time and are gonna continue to fight until they wipe themselves out -- and maybe take the rest of the world with them. i can't say that i really agree, but he kind of has the germ of a good point there. *sits back and waits to be called racist*

> Oh, and if you're gonna say I made a personal attack on you, once again I
> was replying to you calling me "gullible." Since I know you
> think you of the left have the right to make attacks without anyone
> attacking back.

you can attack me all you want. i didn't see much that was personal in that attack, but you can do your worst. i'm sure it will really help your cause to post a bunch of stuff like:

"kill all arabs. mindy is a fatty! yeehaw!"

see, i know you're above that at least.

*waits for mr. improper to post that*

> I have the same 'parent problem' as you Mindy, mine are staunch
> Republicans also. My dad is retired from the Navy and my mom has
> absolutely no excuse for being a Republican herself, in fact she used to
> be very liberal. Ironically, it's my dad who is much more reasonable and
> tolerant about the world than my mom.

Nothing ironic about it, unless you're of the assumption that "reasonable" and "tolerant" are incompatible with Republican viewpoints. Although I'm certainly not a Republican, one doesn't have to interact with groups of Democrats and groups of Republicans for long before one finds that the Demcoratic party is rather thuggish and Stalinistic and is into excommunicating those who think for themselves. Very big generalization there, but as someone who witnessed firsthand the thuggery at a RAlph Nader speech from Al Gore supporters (whereas Republcians did not tell Buchanan he had no right to run), I feel it's a generally valid point.
It's not surpirsing, then, that the Democratic PArty has become essentially useless in the past several years, and may be dangerously moving towards extinction. I certainly like a two party system, but I think we need a new second party.

Furthermore, it seems to me that today there's a lot more interesting and open debate within Conservative and Republican circles. Perhaps that's why it wasn't The Nation magazine, but rather The NAtional Review, which devoted an entire issue to questioning the war on drugs. And perhaps that's why it was aRepublican governor, not a Democrat, who called for real research into the death penalty in Illinois and, aghast at the findings, did an incredible act and refused to let people sit on death row with in such a f***ed up system. One of the most moral acts of a politician I've ever seen, and far more moral than all the Democrats who just attack the death penalty to get points in against Bush without ever acting to change anything. Infact, in their actions they backed the previous president who had an even worse record with the death penalty.

I suggest people look beyond Rush Limbaugh. I certainly look beyond Michael Moore on the left. I'm not saying this to encourage people to become conservatives, as I'm not one myself. I'm generally a libertarian with a very small "l". But I say it becuse I see your minds are not at all being exposed to some of the worthy voices on that side, who might have kernals of truth to say, and it seems to be because you think it would be "uncool". I recommend someone like William Safire of the NY TIMES, who has never hesitated to attack and investigate a republican politician (he was in fact the biggest media thorn in Bush Sr's side, and is very worried about the same concerns over civil liberties as many on the left). Or Andrew Sullivan of andrewsullivan.com. Or some of the columnists at magazines such as The NAtional Review and the Weekly Standard. You'll find that there's all kinds of perspectives and nuances at places like these.

It's silly the way people seem to think they have to agree with one party across the board. I didn't even support Bush for President, I just support his foreign policy and his school vouchers ideas, and have an open mind about rethinking affirmative action. And I can'tquite work out what is liberal about wanting to let Saddam run free. And I sure can't work out what is liberal about left wing groups busing themselves into my city of Cleveland to protest school vouchers which allow extremely poor children to have a way out of a failed public school system. If I had closed my mind to the idea that every now and then a Republican may have something reasonable and valid to say, I would have been very confused on that school voucher issue.

Re: in case you didn't notice, i took it back...

> additionally, you cannot deny that you do twist people's words and ideas
> to fit your argument. the MLK jr. thing was a perfect example of that.
> using his words, you tried to make it seem as though everybody who is
> against you is a racist because since they don't support belligerence on
> the part of israelis, they must therefore be anti-semites and racists.

Explain how it can be that the only country people don't hold back in any way in condemning as pure evil is Israel? Can it really be that Israel is the most evil country on earth? I have no idea who's an anti-semite here and who's not. Or if one or two people are, if they're even aware of it. Or maybe they're just being misled by newspapers that are anti-semitic and they don't know that, or whatever. I have no idea. I do know that people keep bringing up Israel to me when it's not even the topic. I know peopl have mentioned the "jewish lobby," "jews running Hollywood," "jews running the media," "jews manipulating America's government," and on and on and on and on. And I also know that I've been accused countless times of being racist against "arabs" or viewing arabs as "towel heads" when I've NEVER said a single negative word against arabs on here ever. You didn't race in to my defense and cry foul at such baseless accusations of racism just because I don't support the belligerance on the part of Saddam Hussein, who btw murders arabs.

And so on MLK Day I posted MLK's quote. I should've posted the entire thing, because he had A LOT to say on it. The fact is, MLK supported Israel's right to exist and right to security, and condemned people who use anti-zionism to advance anti-semitism.

Hey, he probably would scold me for supporting the use of violence, and if someone had posted that with a quote, I wouldn't have said anyone was twisting anything.

> never mind all the gazillions of posts you and others have made slamming
> muslims. last time i checked, neither me nor crushing bore nor notastitch
> nor anyone else who has argued with you has said a single thing that
> anyone could say was denigrating to the jewish people.

Why is it that everyone says America has to examine itself to find the root causes of all this terrorism, but no one wants to say maybe the Islamic world could do a little self-examination as well? I tried to make clear there are plenty of good Muslim people. But yeah, I'm candid enough to say I have some issues with Islam. I'm not hiding that. I walked right out on the plank. Put it out there for discussion. Maybe I'm f***ed up in my head, I dunno. I guess everyone else is so above having issues with something like Islam, or at least admitting it. But I do think something is screwy in Islam. It might be a minority, it might be people who hijacked a religion that's not so bad, I dunno. I just don't see many people wanting to look into the matter. I know why Bush doesn't, because to him someone with religious faith is presumed good. But I find it weird that a religion and culture which has all these f***ed up things happening within it never wants to examine itself. Millions of people are being threatened, so yeah, America should be examining itself, and sure as hell Islam should be examining ITSELF. Everybody should be. And all religion too. HEll, religion seems to be a central cause in everything f***ed up in the world.

> besides you, the only other person i've ever tried to get silenced was mr.
> improper -- but i didn't even start that campaign. mr. improper is
> probably the most annoying human being (if he even is one) that i have
> encountered online. and believe me, i have known some assholes in the
> medium.

"The only other person I've ever tried to get silenced." Why is it hard to pass by threads that bug you? Why try to silence two people?

I actually haven't read that many Mr. Improper postings, so I don't really know what all he's said. I've gotten chuckles from many of his posts. I tend to only read the threads I'm heavily active in, and a random selection of interesting titled individual postings. But I do know I used to see your name under Mr. Improper's postings a lot, so why were replying to him then?

> i do appreciate how you were very tolerant of my right to post and i'm
> sorry that you think i was trying to get you banned or anything because i
> wasn't. but in any case, why would i care if you didn't support the ban
> mr. improper thing? it's not like i even started that. i don't really mind
> arguing with him, but since other people decided to ignore him, i am
> supporting them. it's not like i keep a little tally of who sides with me.
> i'm not like you, after all. i don't have this black and white image of
> the world -- "they're either with us or they're against us." i
> don't think that way.

Oh puhleaze! I know I've posted argumentive shit to you and then turned around in another thread and posting in an entirely different manner. I don't hold grudges on people here, or view some as for me and some against me.
Someone said here it's not good to get into it over politics and religion, because people stat hating each other. But anyway, I'll chill on the politics until a war starts, unless something major is said tomorrow night.

> and you have launched some personal attacks in some of the political
> threads against people who looked to me like they were being civil. i
> understand slipping up. we all sometimes get personal in our posts when
> there is some heated debate, so i apologize for harping on that. you're
> not as bad as many people on this board.

If everyone who makes personal attacks were reprimanded, that would be one thing. at least you'd be consistant. But to just notice mine, and not all the others that happen to be the politically correct personal attacks, is whack.

> and george bush definitely has some fascist leanings.

"Fascist leanings" is a little softer, so that's good.

>in a post i made
> earlier today i mention some of the freedoms he has impinged upon in his
> alleged quest to root out terrorists, alongside some domestic issues
> (which this war is most certainly going to overshadow, sadly allowing such
> things to pass under the radar -- the american people are very easily
> distracted). it's not like i've been launching into conspiracy theories.
> then maybe i'd be demented. if i started talking about how our own
> government plotted to have the twin towers knocked down so as to lauch a
> war against terrorists that don't exist, maybe you could call me demented.
> and while there is some circumstantial evidence that some such conspiracy
> theories may have merit, i generally don't go in for those and let them
> be.

It's true that freedoms can come under fire during war. Or maybe it's true that they always do in war. It's also true that scare-mongering about freedoms coming under fire can be used to manipulate people. My feeling is, for all the talk of the war on terrorism assaulting my civil liberties, I don't see much evidence of that yet. YET. And what scaremongers ought to keep in mind is that, as America is NOT a fascist country, Bush is NOT a dictator. We have a carefully worked out system of checks and balances. If Bush is trying to violate someone's rights, we have courts and a legislature to fight that out in. Some judges have already gone against him. So maybe you're right, but I don't see it yet. What I see are many who instantly jumped on the bandwagon that Bush is gutting the Constitution who don't cite specifically what they mean. And I see people who can't comprehend that a terrorist combatant is a different kind of enemy than we're used to, and so we're trying to work out the way to balance rights with security. I'm not gonna say our government is turning fascist until I see evidence of it.

Re: in case you didn't notice, i took it back...

i've never said israel was evil and i realize that the israelis who are involved in terrorism are mainly minority extremists (although sharon has done some despicable things -- he's not alone in this by any means). however, the same is true of the palestinians and other muslim groups. you are right when you say that we all need to reexamine ourselves. and i do agree with you that religion can be blamed for almost everything bad in the world -- well almost. not that i'm an authority, but i come from an intensely religious background, which i extricated myself from and i studied other religions fairly extensively. last semester i also took a course about getting at the essence of religion about about the future of religion. the class set forth some interesting theories about the rise of fundamentalist sects of islam AND christianity (including mormons). basically -- and this makes a lot of sense -- a lot of religions these days don't really have many rules. it's like yeah, believe in god and you'll be saved. you can be an asshole, but hey, say you're sorry, and god will welcome you back with open arms. the rise of fundamentalist sects is a response to this. it's like, why bother having a religion if it doesn't ask anything of you? is a god who makes no demands from you worth having? why would you worship someone who is such a big pushover? i don't think religion in and of itself is wrong. it just becomes something evil when people pervert it for their own purposes and/or push it on other people/violate other people's basic human rights because of it. islam may have some screwy tenants, but it comes from the same tradition as judaism and christianity, both of which have less than illustrious pasts. and it's funny because if you look back to when thee moors came to power in spain, they coexisted peacefully with the christians for 700 years before the christians decided to start shit (i.e. ferdinand and isabella).

and of course your rights haven't been infringed upon because you're not a minority (well i don't know what race you are, but you're not arab) and you're not a woman (bush wants to take away a woman's right to choose, and that's a fact).

and in the future, i will be careful to be more consistent in pointing out personal attacks. yours just bugged me because they occurred in the political threads and seemed really unwarranted. but you said you may have been drunk, so i don't know.

Re: but, Al?

> Yawn. See it's always just about Bush and your dislike for Bush. What
> about carefully weighing the policy options to work out what is best for
> Iraq, the Middle East, the world?

Yes, that's my whole point! That's where I disagree with Bush!

Every president I've ever hated, I've
> been big enough to acknowledge the good things they did. But no,
> everything's just about "I don't like Bush!!! Period!" Do you
> really think it would be so different had Gore gotten in there? Wasn't
> Gore V.P. when we bombed Iraq last?

No, I can't say for sure things would be any better if Gore had "gotten in there" (the guy sleeps with Tipper, for God's sake!), but it's no reason to support someone just becuase you feel the alternative would be no better!

> Excuse me, but do you not notice when I'm labelled "right wing"
> "zionist" "fascist" etc etc etc. And I fail to see why
> pointing out that communists organized a rally, and that communists are
> amongst the contributors on zmag, is unjust. If someone supports a MArxist
> style overthrow of the capitalist world, that to me is communist. Why is
> that unfair? Everybody tells me on here that I'm being led by
> propagandists, well gee, why can't I say some of you are?

GOD ALMIGHTY! You said Zmag was a "communist" site - which it demonstrably is not. Most contributors do NOT support a "marxist-style overthrow of the capitalist world".

And you wanna hear it; "most Afghans will in the long run be infinitely better off as a result of the overthrow of the Taliban". But the ones who died in that war will not be amongst them. Most Zimbabweans would be better off if the US overthrew Mugabe, but he's not even on Bush's radar because it doesn't fit with American interests. Again and again THIS is the guiding motivation behind US foreign policy, not this feigned altruism! Doesn't mean the Taliban or Saddam shouldn't be removed, but let's not lie to ourselves about whose interests are served by the killing of others!

> As far as "Europeans," entire threads are created solely to slam
> America. Which is fine. But I'm sorry if I snort at those who call America
> "unilateral" or "cowboys" when America chose to go to
> the U.N. to uphold international law and order (indeed, America is trying
> to SAVE the ability of the U.N. to have relevance in international law and
> order) whereas certain other U.N. security counsel members seem to be just
> concerned with what's in their own political interests. I didn't see
> France go to the U.N. before sending unwelcomed troops to the Ivory Coast,
> and I didn't see anyone comment on that here. I didn't see Russia go to
> the U.N. over Chechnya. I didn't see China go to the U.N. over what
> they're up to in Tibet. I did see Germany using anti-Americanism cynically
> in a domestic political campaign, however. I guess we'll have to wait for
> these four governments to decide it's in their own pragmatic interests to
> stand up for international order, as they did in passing the last
> resolution, but I fail to see their moral high ground.

You get no argument from me on this score. This is the kind of frank analysis I'd like to see equally applied to America.

> Paranoid would be calling Bush a "fascist," or posting
> conspiracy theories.

True.

> When it comes to Saddam, yes it is good v. evil.

No, it's not.

> *snort* Tell me, though, since Bush began the war on terrorism, how many
> 9/11's have taken place, and how many times have you seen Usama bin Laden?

This is ridiculous, there will only ever be one 9/11. There have been numerous terrorist attacks since Sept. 11 - 90 Australians died in Bali, as a proportion of our population, that's a similar number to how many died on September 11. I don't understand your point

> My feeling is that , if there'd been no strong response to 9/11, we'd have
> witnesses several other cities around the world suffer similar or worse
> attacks. We still may, but I think since the war on terrorism began, it's
> been reported that 100s of terrorist attacks have been prevented.

This is entirely hypothetical, but no-one's ever argued that Terrorism ought not to be combatted by increased security, which is what has prevented these attacks. If you think bombing Iraq is in any but the most tangential way related to this, you are deluded.

> I was always taught, when faced with a bully, you stand up and be strong.

And I was taught an eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.

> Because the fact is, the *intelligent*, *thinking* LEFT is where I came to
> my support for Bush's foreign policies with respect to the war on
> terrorism.

If that's the case, you should have more time for Znet!

> My beef is, I don't see much effort from people trying to work out the
> morality in policies. They're just against anything America does, period.
> And no, they have no ideas for what the policy should be.

You should read a few more of my posts, then. That's certainly not MY position.

> Yes, and what did America do after being attacked? They patiently put
> together a very rational, controlled, wise plan to oust the Taliban. They
> waited weeks and weeks and weeks before they responded. And the manner and
> swiftness in which they fought the Taliban is one of the things I think
> America can be completely proud of. No one has ever fought a war with such
> care, to my knowledge. We changed the course of a country for the better
> in just a few weeks time with shockingly few civilians caught in the
> crossfire and countless civilian lives saved. Millions of exiled Afghans
> have poured back in.

You mean using foreign armies as cannon fodder, and bombing from a distance? How many American servicepeople vs Afghan civilians were killed in that war? Doesn't mean I'm against it, but I am against whitewash and rhetoric.

> I hope to see Saddam on trial by this summer.

Sadly, I suspect he'll bite on his own bullet before he sees that happen.

> Look, I'm well aware most people don't wanna read this shit. But it's
> clearly labeled in the subject headings, so what the f*** is the issue?

Completely agree.

> Afterall, they are formulated by a man who admittedly doesn't read the
> newspapers, or watch the news due to the depressing nature of its content.
> This is hardly the position taken by someone who's craft isn't generally
> escapist.

When Moz was in Oz he went on this big rant aboout how he was watching CNN, and they had an item about how several thousands of chickens had been slaughtered becuase they were unfit for human concumption. Cue -"Meat is Murder".

Now if that's not political, I don't know what is . . .

> When Moz was in Oz he went on this big rant aboout how he was watching
> CNN, and they had an item about how several thousands of chickens had been
> slaughtered becuase they were unfit for human concumption. Cue -"Meat
> is Murder".

> Now if that's not political, I don't know what is . . .

Did you not read my post? I qualififed all of that. Just because he has politcal beliefs and makes political statements, does not make him the "Dead Kennedys" or dismiss the majority of his catalog. Also, I certainly don't take the statement of avoiding news and newspapers literally. I'm sure he channel surfs and catches glimpses of many things, but I beleive him when he says, for the most part, he can't be btohered.

This has always been his position.

Besides, he probably got such a blurb from the PETA newsletter.

> Excuse me, but do you not notice when I'm labelled "right wing"
> "zionist" "fascist" etc etc etc. And I fail to see why
> pointing out that communists organized a rally, and that communists are
> amongst the contributors on zmag, is unjust. If someone supports a MArxist
> style overthrow of the capitalist world, that to me is communist. Why is
> that unfair? Everybody tells me on here that I'm being led by
> propagandists, well gee, why can't I say some of you are?

It seems that you try to discredit those who disagree with you by trying to label them with such terms such as "commie" or "anti-Semite". However when people use equally inappropriate words to describe you then you object.

> And you know what's the difference between me and some people? If
> something horrible happens as a consequence of what Bush is doing, I'll be
> the first to say post my horror about it and my shame in being misled. Not
> one person here who used to post that America was gonna commit a genocide
> in Afghanistan is big enough to say, "You know what, the Afghan
> people DO seem to be better off with the removal of the Taliban." How
> can that be? It really bugs me and makes me question how sincere people
> are about what they claim they care about, and if they're capable of
> learning from their mistakes.

If you really believe that only people who opposed the Afghan invasion (or the first gulf war) are opposed to this conflict then you are very wrong! Opposition runs much deeper this time. Way beyond the usual 'pacifist' crowd (at least here in the UK)..

> As far as "Europeans," entire threads are created solely to slam
> America. Which is fine. But I'm sorry if I snort at those who call America
> "unilateral" or "cowboys" when America chose to go to
> the U.N. to uphold international law and order (indeed, America is trying
> to SAVE the ability of the U.N. to have relevance in international law and
> order) whereas certain other U.N. security counsel members seem to be just
> concerned with what's in their own political interests. I didn't see
> France go to the U.N. before sending unwelcomed troops to the Ivory Coast,
> and I didn't see anyone comment on that here. I didn't see Russia go to
> the U.N. over Chechnya. I didn't see China go to the U.N. over what
> they're up to in Tibet. I did see Germany using anti-Americanism cynically
> in a domestic political campaign, however. I guess we'll have to wait for
> these four governments to decide it's in their own pragmatic interests to
> stand up for international order, as they did in passing the last
> resolution, but I fail to see their moral high ground.

Surely you mean something like "I guess we'll have to wait for America to come up with appropriate bribes for these four governments"

> Paranoid would be calling Bush a "fascist," or posting
> conspiracy theories.

> When it comes to Saddam, yes it is good v. evil.

Things are rarely this simple and I believe it is dangerous to assume they are. It is easy to end up with twisted logic something like "we are good and they are evil so it obviously OK for us to kill them". I expect the maniacs in Al Qaeda think like this.

> America v. Islam? No, I've never said that. I've said modern civilization
> v. islamic fundamentalism.

Saddam Hussein is NOT an Islamic fundamentalist. This is why the USA supported him in his war against Iran (remember?).

> America v. Europe? No, Europe is on the same side, generally speaking.
> And some Europeans will be fighting in any coming war on Saddam. And as
> Tony Blair said last week in the House of Commons, if Bush wasn't standing
> up to Saddam, he'd be calling him up trying to convince him to.

Frankly the British government is likely to back pretty much all US foreign policy. It doesn't necessarily mean the British people are behind him.

> Left v. right? Not at all, since I'm not a right winger at all. I don't
> much like the left or the right, and it is on the far left and the far
> right where you find the opposition to going after Saddam. Indeed, most of
> the serious opposition to a war is on the right.

> My combination of views is, across the board, against totalitarianism.
> That's all I've ever been.

> *snort* Tell me, though, since Bush began the war on terrorism, how many
> 9/11's have taken place, and how many times have you seen Usama bin Laden?

It doesn't mean there won't be such attacks in the future. Personally I believe that attacking Iraq will make such attacks more likely..

> My feeling is (and the words of Usama bin LAden himself back me up) that
> he viewed the Black Hawk Down incident in Somalia (excellent movie on that
> btw), and the response to the first attempt to blow up the World Trade
> Center, as well as the reckless missile attack on a Sudan medicine factory
> and a few tents in Afghanistan, as proof that America was soft, and all
> America would do in response to terrorism would be to file some law suits
> and launch a useless missile or two that do nothing but give good PR to
> the president.

> My feeling is that , if there'd been no strong response to 9/11, we'd have
> witnesses several other cities around the world suffer similar or worse
> attacks. We still may, but I think since the war on terrorism began, it's
> been reported that 100s of terrorist attacks have been prevented.

> I was always taught, when faced with a bully, you stand up and be strong.

But surely many people in the world will see America as the bully in this instance?? (massive army, sophisticated weaponry including far more 'weapons of mass destruction' than anyone else, invading much smaller and much poorer country)
If America attacks Iraq then it could well be a massive propaganda victory for Al Qaeda and make recruitment for them that much easier.

> And I guess you don't notice that many of the articles I link to or post
> are written by LEFTISTS whom I admire.

> Because the fact is, the *intelligent*, *thinking* LEFT is where I came to
> my support for Bush's foreign policies with respect to the war on
> terrorism.

> But I have attacked lots of America's foreign policies. I know what I've
> posted and I know what i believe, and there's plenty actions I feel were
> not in line with American ideals (I think the Cold War made everything
> murky). Although I think the past 15 years has seen Ameican foreign policy
> take a dramatic turn for the good, with a couple large exceptions.

> And it's one thing to oppose immoral or short-sighted interventions, which
> is right to do. It's another thing to only come out and protest those
> wrong interventions long after they occurred, and doing so only to oppose
> a current intervention that just might be moral and just, and seeming not
> to care to work out if it would be moral and just. I didn't see the
> marches against Reagan's team when they intervened in Iraq. I do see the
> marches against Bush when he's intervening for the good. Well, yeah, of
> course whether it's for the good is debatable. But IMO, there's a long
> list of examples of good interventions and uses of the military, and a
> long list of bad ones, and so I'm gonna try and work out what the good
> ones are and support those. I'm not going to *automatically* condemn any
> American intervention. Not when to take that view would have led to such
> horrible consequences in Kosovo, Afghanistan, and back when Saddam invaded
> Kuwait, to name just a few. And not when there's so few other nations
> willing to do the job instead.

> My beef is, I don't see much effort from people trying to work out the
> morality in policies. They're just against anything America does, period.
> And no, they have no ideas for what the policy should be.

> See, I attacked Carter and Reagan. Fair and balanced, as the lovely Laurie
> Duhe says on FOX NEWS.

> Yes, and what did America do after being attacked? They patiently put
> together a very rational, controlled, wise plan to oust the Taliban. They
> waited weeks and weeks and weeks before they responded. And the manner and
> swiftness in which they fought the Taliban is one of the things I think
> America can be completely proud of. No one has ever fought a war with such
> care, to my knowledge. We changed the course of a country for the better
> in just a few weeks time with shockingly few civilians caught in the
> crossfire and countless civilian lives saved. Millions of exiled Afghans
> have poured back in.

> Diabolical?

> Refresher:

> -Saddam invaded Kuwait.
> -Saddam did not leave Kuwait until they were forced to by the
> international community and it's armies.
> -Saddam signed a cease fire agreement, in which he was to fully disarm.
> -Saddam proceded to ignore this cease fire agreement, and breach every
> U.N.
> resolution for 11 years.
> -The U.N. imposed sanctions on Iraq to try and force compliance short of
> going back to war, and the sanctions have not worked, and indeed Saddam
> has been able to make the IRaqi people suffer greatly under them.
> -What to do now?
> -If you let Saddam get away with it, and just say, "well, I guess
> we'll just call it a day on that and go home," what you are saying is
> there is no international law and order, that it is the law of the jungle.
> -The only other option, it seems to me, is to have called for one more
> chance for Saddam to disarm, under a strong resolution with international
> support, and put a gun to Saddam's head. If someone told me one other
> option that would face the policy of the 90s failed, but would guarantee
> the threat of Saddam would be ended, I'd go along with it in a heartbeat.
> War is the last resport, but it's looking like we're at the last resort to
> me.

You go on about UN resolutions and then accuse people of 'changing the subject' when they mention Israel. We all know the chances of the US trying to force Israel to comply with the UN resolutions that it is in breach of are nil. I expect many people in the Arab world see this as rather unfair.
I realize that Saddam Hussein is a corrupt dictator who has used chemical weapons.
However if he is as deranged as you say, then why hasn't he ever loaded up his Scud missiles with chemical weapons and fired them off at Israel? I mean he probably dislikes the Israelis at least as much as the Iranians or the Kurds (Obviously he couldn't have fired missiles at the USA because he's never had any with the appropriate range, nor is he ever likely to get any). I think we all know that the reason he hasn't done this is that Israel has considerably better weaponry than he does and so such action would inevitably lead to him being killed (probably along with a significant percentage of the Iraqi population). Yet you expect us to believe he'd like a nuclear/chemical/biological war with the USA. There's no way he could win. I mean he probably thought he had some chance with his invasion of Iran, and he knew his troops could overrun Kuwait (though he clearly miscalculated the international response). When he gassed the Kurds he knew they didn't have comparable weaponry (or friends in high places). I don't see how he could contemplate action like that today given his current (lack of) popularity in the international community.
It is already 12 years since the original gulf war. Saddam Hussein is not a young man and one day will die or be overthrown internally. Yes I accept conditions probably aren't great for at the moment for the Iraqi people, but then they are probably no worse than in certain other third world countries with corrupt leaders.
It seems to me that as long we keep a reasonable number of troops in the area and don't let him import weapons materials then Saddam Hussein is at least a contained problem. I mean I've seen no convincing evidence that his army or 'weapons of mass destruction' programmes are in significantly better shape now than they were 12 years ago. There also appears to be a lack of evidence linking him to Al Qaeda and the kind of mass terrorism we saw on 9/11.
An invasion now could very well lead to the deaths of massive numbers of Iraqis (& US/UK troops) and give the USA (& UK) plenty of bad publicity throughout the world. These are reasons why so many people are opposed to this war.

> I hope to see Saddam on trial by this summer.

Won't happen. He'll either be dead (most probably killed along with thousands of other Iraqis) or still be in power.

> Well thank ya.

> Look, I'm well aware most people don't wanna read this shit. But it's
> clearly labeled in the subject headings, so what the f*** is the issue?

> Just Mindy's drama. She only succeeded in continuing the thread. : P

And so it continues..