Should statues of controversial historical figures be removed?

no, i dont think so. if people at some point in time thought they were worthing putting up, i dont think we have any right to tear them down. the problem is, in discussions about "should we do this?" or "should we do that?" the fact that something may not actually be our right never comes up.

No. Historical statues are works of art by famous artists. Destruction of art, even if someone doesn’t agree with the subject matter being depicted in any particular instance, is disgusting and base. Every country on earth has a difficult history. Is this suddenly news to people, a few thousand years in? Idiots

I depends on the historical and artistic value of the statue and who is depicted. It's not really a yes or no question.

Like if the statue was Hitler and it was done by an enthusiastic amateur last year it probably doesn't really have the artistic or historical relevance and the subject matter is kind of divisive and disruptive so I'd say it's okay to melt it down.
And lots of the "civil war" statues that were torn down during the demonstrations a few years back were not historically valid as many were put up during the civil rights movement. They were more about hateful propaganda than history and I don't see why people should have to be exposed to them.
And of course that statue of Lucille Ball had to go.
1648026743742.png

Unless this is about meth-induced psychosis it's not really that great.

1648026823385.png

It was replaced with this one. I think that was a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom