Should "My Love" be the next Morrissey Single?

A

Anonymous

So approximately 3 months after the LIHS release Morrissey is releasing My Love as his next single release.
What is driving him to do this given that the album appears to be is dead sales wise after the Spiegel interview and the largely critical reviews, which in my opion, it unfairly received.
I think its a great record let down by the placing of IBTL just when the album is at its peak...My Love is a great song but isnt a single and I cant see it generating radio plays or the additional sales BMG would crave. I struggle to see any other radio friendly songs on LIHS other than maybe a remixed ATYPMFIL
A much better ploy would've been to release a new single - maybe even a good olf fasioned 12" with the extra songs recorded for LIHS -which if successful would support a delux LIHS release
I wonder if amalgamating these apparently already recoderd songs as part of another album would work....Morrissey always seems to have a structured plan on how his albums come together and record them as such

But then I'm not a million plus selling artist like Morrissey...so what do I know!

Let the Solo abuse begin !!!!

See you in Dublin Moz

I’d love it as a single. I’d be embarrassed to have ATYPMFIL as a single, tbh.

As long as we get a proper b side and not a cop out live track.

If the single does feature another live b-side then I will welcome it.

I agree that a remixed ATYPMFIL might have been preferable and Home is a Question Mark would have been another option, but it is still a fine song. I don't expect it to have a huge effect on sales of the album, but if he makes a TV appearance or two to promote it then all the better.

So approximately 3 months after the LIHS release Morrissey is releasing My Love as his next single release.
What is driving him to do this given that the album appears to be is dead sales wise after the Spiegel interview and the largely critical reviews, which in my opion, it unfairly received.
I think its a great record let down by the placing of IBTL just when the album is at its peak...My Love is a great song but isnt a single and I cant see it generating radio plays or the additional sales BMG would crave. I struggle to see any other radio friendly songs on LIHS other than maybe a remixed ATYPMFIL
A much better ploy would've been to release a new single - maybe even a good olf fasioned 12" with the extra songs recorded for LIHS -which if successful would support a delux LIHS release
I wonder if amalgamating these apparently already recoderd songs as part of another album would work....Morrissey always seems to have a structured plan on how his albums come together and record them as such
But then I'm not a million plus selling artist like Morrissey...so what do I know!
Let the Solo abuse begin !!!!
See you in Dublin Moz

The album is dead sales-wise - that's the whole point of releasing a new single. If it was glued to the top 5, there's be no need. If singles get serious airplay, albums come flying back up the chart. That's how it works. My Love is kind of OK song but it doesn't have a chorus, or at least it doesn't have two separate musical sections (whatever you want to call them). It essentially just has one refrain and one melody. OK (ish) on an album but way too dull to be played on the radio. Girl from Tel Aviv is a wonderful musical composition, and a brilliant fresh sound for Morrissey. If they put that out, the stations would play it, and the album would come hurtling back up the charts.

I think it the best track for a single after spent the day in bed. Home is a question mark is a great song but it's one made for morrissey fans mostly and is to slow in the beginning to work as a single. Like I and others have already said lihs isn't really a singles album but if this gets a low key video, even one made of a live performance, it'll get views make a few headlines and sell some records which will help general promo for some live shows and the album in general

The album is dead sales-wise - that's the whole point of releasing a new single. If it was glued to the top 5, there's be no need. If singles get serious airplay, albums come flying back up the chart. That's how it works. My Love is kind of OK song but it doesn't have a chorus, or at least it doesn't have two separate musical sections (whatever you want to call them). It essentially just has one refrain and one melody. OK (ish) on an album but way too dull to be played on the radio. Girl from Tel Aviv is a wonderful musical composition, and a brilliant fresh sound for Morrissey. If they put that out, the stations would play it, and the album would come hurtling back up the charts.
I'm not sure about the hurtling part but I agree it's a good song with decent hooks.

I think a lot of us here measure Morrissey's actions via bygone rules - which can cloud any real motivations by record companies or Moz.
Digging through the minutiae of charts, sales or radio playlisting et al is something Moz or we might do, but that says nothing about modern selling concerns for BMG.
The mechanism of selling records/radio airplay and the 'success' thereof etc has changed. The whole concept of selling albums too.
He's managing to sell vinyl quite well (RSD/singles charting well too) and that might just be the motivation behind chucking out a third single (or perhaps it's even contractual).
This also might just be timed as to create a 'buzz' for the tour beginning shortly. IIRC there are often singles released around times of live tours that then get referred to on stage - although normally he makes comments about them using the old frames of reference we are familiar with.
Just a thought,
FWD.

I think a lot of us here measure Morrissey's actions via bygone rules - which can cloud any real motivations by record companies or Moz.
Digging through the minutiae of charts, sales or radio playlisting et al is something Moz or we might do, but that says nothing about modern selling concerns for BMG.
The mechanism of selling records/radio airplay and the 'success' thereof etc has changed. The whole concept of selling albums too.
He's managing to sell vinyl quite well (RSD/singles charting well too) and that might just be the motivation behind chucking out a third single (or perhaps it's even contractual).
This also might just be timed as to create a 'buzz' for the tour beginning shortly. IIRC there are often singles released around times of live tours that then get referred to on stage - although normally he makes comments about them using the old frames of reference we are familiar with.
Just a thought,
FWD.

Good god yes this post times a million

I 'm sure Morrissey simply negotiated in his contract a specific minimum number of singles to be released. Three initially with an open option for more depending on the success of the album. This is common in the industry. This release is obviously timed to match the UK tour for optimum promotion of both.
I think this song is rock radio friendly for alternative stations in the U.S. (in 1992). Times have moved on and he is no longer relevant in the eyes of listeners in the demographic of these stations and program directors only care about pleasing them. As they should. This single will come and go without notice just like Moz says always happens with his offerings to the world. Even if his songs do make an impact it is never enough for him. I wonder how he would actually react if he for some reason suddenly had a worldwide smash hit and was regarded by all and sundry as the master he believes himself to be (and once was). I figure he'd just shrug and say "Told you so."

Last edited:
At least its not download only

Back
Top Bottom