Should Morrissey publicly apolgise to fans for all these ridiculous cancellations?

Re: Should Morrissey publicly apolgise to fans for all these ridiculous cancellations

This is nonsense. Yes, we buy tickets - but to say 'you know the risks, you know he might cancel' is rubbish. HE is a professional recording and touring artist with professional management. It is up to HIM, not us, to arrange realistic tours that he can complete. No other artist on earth (good luck, try naming one) organises tour after tour with utterly unrealistic expectations of completion.

He is the one making mistake after mistake and refusing to learn from them. Why on earth should we buy tickets being 'acutely aware that something may go wrong'? Why should we be 'prepared to deal with disappointment'? I don't buy tickets for ANY other artist thinking this, why should I for Moz? I need to buy 6 tickets to see 3 gigs?? That is ludicrous.

Again, I don't blame him for being ill, that would be stupid. And I do not expect him on stage when he is sick. But I do blame him for continually taking on more shows than he knows, we all know, his voice can handle. Clearly, he will not listen to management or advisors. Or he employs people too afraid to tell him the truth. I don't mind buying multiple tickets, I am taking any chance I can. But he must hold up his end of the bargain and start viewing these tours more realistically. This means either bigger shows or less small shows with raised prices. Doing 5 gigs a week at £30 a pop is why this is happening and it cannot continue. Yet, it does - 6 shows in 8 days in October. When will he learn or listen? We still keep buying these tix, we still keep letting ourselves be disappointed. He keeps letting us down and we keep going back for more. It's an abusive relationship in anyone's world.

Very sensible post... and I haven't seen anything in the opposite corner to even stand up to it... except 'morrissey is morrissey' and other platitudes. Please. That doesn't change these facts, above.

Re: Should Morrissey publicly apolgise to fans for all these ridiculous cancellations

Surely he could just nod in the fans' direction on one of his appearances on Jules or Jonathan Ross or even at one of the gigs following the cancellations.

Something along the lines of "Sorry that some of you have been disappointed. Thanks for your continued support".

Too much to ask evidently.

I don't expect him to apologise to me for cancelling a gig I was going to (Troxy). It's just a gig that's been cancelled. I'll do something else tonight. I don't get the constant wailing as if a cancelled gig is the end of the world. :confused:

And it is only on this site it happens, read Twitter. There are people disappointed there but they are not calling for apologies or talking about how they feel "abused". Perhaps because they have a sense of perspective?

The reason is because you can't dispute an opinion. You saying Morrissey should apologise is like saying you enjoy ice cream and someone trying to tell you you don't.

You wish he would publicly apologise. That's how you would like him to behave. It seems that is not going to happen, at least not for this cancellation. I'm sorry you will not get your wish. If however, this is the first time in your life you have encountered someone behaving in a way in which you do not approve, consider yourself very lucky.

That is so patronising. It's not about him owing anyone anything. It's about common courtesy and sense. He constantly talks of his fanbase with great love and our relationship with him is reciprocal. But he plans tours poorly and people have been losing money on him for years and he shows not one iota of sense in changing this pattern. I don't expect anything from him - except the shows I paid to see. If he doesn't want to meet our expectations then he should retire from touring. He is a very very clever man. To plan tours year after year that are partially cancelled repeatedly beggars belief and he is not beyond criticism.

I've made my commitment for life to him - I walk with a lyric on my back til the day I die. And he promises me that he will perform songs. Who keeps up their end of the bargain?

As some people said, a little line from him would be nice. But unlikely.

On the other hand, we all know the risk factor with Moz. After roundhouse dates got cancelled last year and it put me out of pocket by upwards of £100, I decided not to book tickets for the Birmingham gig on this tour. Phew! I would have scrimped and scraped to get the money together so didn't take the gamble in the end.

I don't expect him to apologise to me for cancelling a gig I was going to (Troxy). It's just a gig that's been cancelled. I'll do something else tonight. I don't get the constant wailing as if a cancelled gig is the end of the world. :confused:

And it is only on this site it happens, read Twitter. There are people disappointed there but they are not calling for apologies or talking about how they feel "abused". Perhaps because they have a sense of perspective?

There are people here who have been through a dozen or more cancellations - is that true of the people on Twitter?? We keep getting smacked in the face, wait til they've lost money on travel and hotels before accusing us of lacking perspective. We have plenty of that.

Spleenhead - the most sensible person here! You got burned and you took your money elsewhere. You're the smart one. We're all fools for buying into this again and again.

I have been a huge fan of Morrissey for years but have lost respect for him recently over all these cancellations. I think he is treating fans with contempt frankly.

Have you been to any of his recent gigs?

maybe at the rescheduled concerts he will say something to those who have hung on, hung on...........

I don't think it's abuse, because we do choose to keep buying tickets, etc. And personally I don't feel myself to have a relationship with Morrissey; we have never met; he is unaware of my existence. I don't take the cancellations as a personal slight, simply a disappointment which could hopefully be avoided in the future by careful planning of tour schedules.

I'm not demanding an apology, but I think it would very much be a case of a little thing making a big difference. Just throwing a few lines out there saying "sorry for the disappointment, sucks being ill, eh?" would take no effort.

Oh, and I think the Twitter thing is probably because this is a Morrissey forum, and so it obviously attracts some of the people who really really care. It's an issue of mutual interest on here, which fans the flames of discussion; I'm certainly discussing the cancellations far more there than on my Twitter feed, simply because most of the people I know in real life either hate Morrissey, or couldn't give a shit.

I don't think it's abuse, because we do choose to keep buying tickets, etc. And personally I don't feel myself to have a relationship with Morrissey; we have never met; he is unaware of my existence. I don't take the cancellations as a personal slight, simply a disappointment which could hopefully be avoided in the future by careful planning of tour schedules.

I'm not demanding an apology, but I think it would very much be a case of a little thing making a big difference. Just throwing a few lines out there saying "sorry for the disappointment, sucks being ill, eh?" would take no effort.

Oh, and I think the Twitter thing is probably because this is a Morrissey forum, and so it obviously attracts some of the people who really really care. It's an issue of mutual interest on here, which fans the flames of discussion; I'm certainly discussing the cancellations far more there than on my Twitter feed, simply because most of the people I know in real life either hate Morrissey, or couldn't give a shit.

One would hope Morrissey would never use such an expression, for he is not a 20 year old American.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd like to know what makes these cancellations "ridiculous".

Bollocks. Think about what you are saying. Yes, fans have flown in from all over the world, and many have been disappointed. But how would you have arranged the sequence of events? Told all the train drivers and pilots to turn around? Put yourself in Moz's shoes. Your vocal cords are playing up, and you can't give a performance you think your fans deserve. How would you have phoned up all the hotels, contacted the travel companies? Shit happens, get on with it.

Peter

P.S I'm off to bed.

I disagree .. if I were in Morrissey's shoes I'd be disappointed that I couldn't perform the gigs .. I wouldn't push myself and perform when sick, but I'd still feel bad for all the people who are out of pocket and came from a far to the gigs ... there is no harm in a notice on TTY apologising for the cancelations and that it couldn't be helped and the gigs will be made up in the future. I dont think the idea of this thread is saying he shouldn't cancel .. if he has to cancel then so be it, like you said, shit happens .. but an apology or at least some sort of recognition towards people effected by this isn't that hard.
I'm guessing all the people who say theres no need for an apology are people who were not effected by any of the cancelations.

It just comes back to him being very unattatched to fans which is ridiculous in this day and age with the technology we have ... he doesn't have to twitter like every sod is doing these days, but take the announced Australian/NZ tour as well ... not a single thing said in months and months ... fair enough if it was only a rumour on music news websites, but it was posted on his friend's site. Obviously no dates or gigs were schedueled so its not asking for an apology, but just some more communication with fans would go a long way.

i fail to see how it is patronising. common courtesy implies that everyone feels the same way you do. they don't. read the post before yours.

right. he has a set behaviour. he shows no plans on changing that behavior, yet you act surprised when he behaves in a way in which he has always done.

you can by all means criticise him. just don't expect everyone to agree with you. or do i see a pattern here? when people don't respond in the way in which you like, you get all up in arms?

he promises that he will perform songs on that night in that given time in exchange for a fee. if he does not you have your money refunded. that "promise" or contract is void. there is no more and no less. again, there are no terms of contract between fan and artist.

in regards to you having a shared commitment for life, isn't that a little presumed and unreasonable?

I did Jeane and I replied to it. One can't compare fans on Twitter with fans here.

It's nothing to with agreeing with me, I'm not asking. I'm giving my opinion about his foolishness. You're right that he shows no plans on changing the way he behaves but does that mean I can't express an opinion that he should?

He promises that he will perform songs on that night? Right. That's the contract. And he breaks it, consistently. I pay my money and take my choice, I have no plans to stop trying to see him live. But is it wrong to express an opinion that he's a fool for not learning lessons?

Since I have permanent ink on me of his words then yes, I am committed to him for life. It is not presumed nor unreasonable. His commitment to me, in return, is that he has made music that lasts forever.

No-one is suggesting he apologises for being ill. But the RAH was cancelled on the same day as the event, a little consideration would be in order. A London gig is the one that will attract the most overseas visitors. I'm sorry his voice has gone but he caused this to happen himself by insane scheduling so my sympathies lie with those flying over for Brixton who are going to have to go home several hundred pounds out of pocket. I'm truly sick of the 'you know what he's like' apologists. He's a grown man and you don't need to defend him when he's done something stupid. Yes yes, I know what he's like. I know he won't listen - if he did he'd plan these tours better. But it doesn't hurt to let frustration out once in a while.

The crux is this - ALL of this is avoidable. It truly is.

Last edited:

Have you been to any of his recent gigs?

If you actually took the trouble to read through this thread you would see that I could not get tickets for Salisbury. That has nothing to do with this thread however.It is not about me, it is about fans who have lost a lot of money and have had no apology.But hey, you always have a go at me. Get over it!

This is nonsense. Yes, we buy tickets - but to say 'you know the risks, you know he might cancel' is rubbish. HE is a professional recording and touring artist with professional management. It is up to HIM, not us, to arrange realistic tours that he can complete. No other artist on earth (good luck, try naming one) organises tour after tour with utterly unrealistic expectations of completion.

He is the one making mistake after mistake and refusing to learn from them. Why on earth should we buy tickets being 'acutely aware that something may go wrong'? Why should we be 'prepared to deal with disappointment'? I don't buy tickets for ANY other artist thinking this, why should I for Moz? I need to buy 6 tickets to see 3 gigs?? That is ludicrous.

Again, I don't blame him for being ill, that would be stupid. And I do not expect him on stage when he is sick. But I do blame him for continually taking on more shows than he knows, we all know, his voice can handle. Clearly, he will not listen to management or advisors. Or he employs people too afraid to tell him the truth. I don't mind buying multiple tickets, I am taking any chance I can. But he must hold up his end of the bargain and start viewing these tours more realistically. This means either bigger shows or less small shows with raised prices. Doing 5 gigs a week at £30 a pop is why this is happening and it cannot continue. Yet, it does - 6 shows in 8 days in October. When will he learn or listen? We still keep buying these tix, we still keep letting ourselves be disappointed. He keeps letting us down and we keep going back for more. It's an abusive relationship in anyone's world.

Very well said.

There are people here who have been through a dozen or more cancellations - is that true of the people on Twitter?? We keep getting smacked in the face, wait til they've lost money on travel and hotels before accusing us of lacking perspective. We have plenty of that.

Spleenhead - the most sensible person here! You got burned and you took your money elsewhere. You're the smart one. We're all fools for buying into this again and again.

You've just made my point for me. To have been through a dozen or more cancellations means you have to have bought an awful lot of Morrissey tickets, to the point of obsession. My point is a lot of people are putting Morrissey too much at the centre of their life, so that a cancelled gig is no longer just a change of plan to them, they see itis a personal insult and Morrissey "not caring" about them. There is no way Morrissey should be held responsible for that. Why do you need him to care about you?

Tags
dont f with op get ban here spinelesswhines sycophants
Back
Top Bottom