Should Morrissey ditch The First of the Gang to Die from setlist?

Should Morrissey ditch TFOTGTD from the setlist?

• Total voters
Jaysus. Just remembered why I haven't bothered with this board for ages. Nothing has changed.

What are the chances of him PROPERLY mixing up the setlist? Like, playing something from the '90s that isn't Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself or The Loop.

I've never been a fan of Billy Budd really. Reader Meet Author wasn't played on either of the last two tours proper was it? Only the Radio 2 show. Sister I'm A Poet wasn't the '90s, it was the bside to Everyday Is Like Sunday. I did enjoy Payroll though, and I'm still pissed he didn't do Seasick at the birthday show.

I've never been a fan of Billy Budd really. Reader Meet Author wasn't played on either of the last two tours proper was it? Only the Radio 2 show. Sister I'm A Poet wasn't the '90s, it was the bside to Everyday Is Like Sunday. I did enjoy Payroll though, and I'm still pissed he didn't do Seasick at the birthday show.

Oh, sorry. I'll tell Morrissey to make his setlists more palatable to you.

Well, if he's doing this "Very best of Morrissey" thing then maybe even "Girl Least Likely To" will even appear in this setlist...I shall be ready for that! :D

It's never in this year :(

I'd like to see it disapear as an encore but not from the setlist entirely. It's a great tune, probably his most famous among the 'second coming' of fans and it is THE song to kick of the invasions.

So, no, don't ditch it but move it out of the encore position.

I wish that they did "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" as they did in the demo :(
The demo sounds so more jangly and more Smiths like! You can actually dance to it!

Very off topic I know, but a few people mentioned the song...

I wish that they did "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" as they did in the demo :(
The demo sounds so more jangly and more Smiths like! You can actually dance to it!

Very off topic I know, but a few people mentioned the song...

I loved when he played that song when I saw him in concert. I ended up learning how to play it on my guitar a few months later.

Artists usually do not put out enduring hits in the later stages of their careers, as much of the songs from a performer's third decade (and later) either come out tired and flat, or pay a weak homage to days gone by. Although it's been more than seven years since its release, to know that Morrissey can put out fresh, dynamic, clever, and relevant music in this millennium is a testament to his brilliance. Therefore, he should play "First of" as much as he'd like, as well as some of his other wonderful more recent songs like "I Have Forgiven Jesus", "Never-played Symphonies", "Mama lay Softly...", and "Munich Air Disaster..." just to name a few.
However, if we are calling out preferences, I like the material that appears on My Early Burglary Years, such as "Nobody Loves Us", "Girl Least Likely", "Swallow on My Neck", and "Sister I'm a Poet", all of which are tunes that I have rarely heard live.
I like the Smiths songs in the setlist because it shows, among other things, that Morrissey still holds those songs dear, and that he still likes singing them; which he should, because they are great songs. However, I am among those who feels that Morrissey as a solo artist is equal to, if not better than, the Smiths, and he can hold his own in a concert, giving the fans exactly what they want, without pulling from the Smiths catalog.
On a final note, I like a lively concert. I really do enjoy some of the down tempo numbers that showcase Morrissey's excellent voice, the aforementioned "I have Forgiven Jesus" for example. But, I can do away with the epic plodders such as "Seasick", "Michael's Bones" and "Pigsty". I know a lot of people think that "true" Morrissey fans love those songs and others like them. But I simply do not like them, neither live nor on CD/MP3.

Last edited:
Yes, he should ditch it. He should ditch the Smiths songs as well!

There are so many great solo-songs to choose from!

Back
Top Bottom