Should Mike Joyce news be posted on Morrissey solo front page?

Should Mike Joyce news appear on the front page of Morrissey solo?

• Total voters

Maurice E

I don't want to start another Mike Joyce love-hate thread, but I would like to know whether many/most of us are actually interested in what he's doing, and consider it worthy of a front page news story.
Well? (poll to follow)

Last edited:
I think we should play it by ear.:rolleyes:

If the career exploits of Marr, Rourke and various ex-Lads are regarded as worthy of main page inclusion, then so are those of Mike Joyce. If not, then no.

If the career exploits of Marr, Rourke and various ex-Lads are regarded as worthy of main page inclusion, then so are those of Mike Joyce. If not, then no.

it goes without saying that most of us want to hear about Marr. he wrote many of the songs that Morrissey still sings today, and many of us still long for the day when Moz and Marr record/play live together again.
Marr also still plays, and sometimes even sings, Smiths songs.
none of these things applies to Joyce.

Rourke is a slightly different case as there is (for obvious reasons) not the same level of antagonism towards him as there is towards Joyce so people wouldn't be so irritated at him clogging up the main page news items...

it goes without saying that most of us want to hear about Marr. he wrote many of the songs that Morrissey still sings today, and many of us still long for the day when Moz and Marr record/play live together again.
Marr also still plays, and sometimes even sings, Smiths songs.
none of these things applies to Joyce.

Rourke is a slightly different case as there is (for obvious reasons) not the same level of antagonism towards him as there is towards Joyce so people wouldn't be so irritated at him clogging up the main page news items...

I'm not sure the existing coverage of either Joyce or Rourke extends to "clogging", for the very reasons you state. When Joyce does make the front page it's often in relation to his legal entanglement with Morrissey, so that's as much a Morrissey news item as a Joyce one.

Should "level of antagonism" be a factor in whether someone is newsworthy? Personally, I don't think so, but I suspect you'd disagree with me.

Last edited:
But why? I am sick to the back teeth of the royalties issue and if there is nothing else....then why bother? Not being funny my dear Jukebox. Just wondering.

Why does the royalties issue bother you? Were you involved?

OK, in answer to my answer ''yes''.
Mike Joyce was the drummer for the best band in the whole wide world EVER (IMHO) and nothing can ever take that fact away. I lived through the 5 years of the band and saw them 5 times, my life revolved around that band and Manchester City FC for those 5 years..... (was unemployed for almost 4 of them:cool:)

So all four band members are as much a hero to me as Manchester City footballers were when I was a kid (Dennis Tueart, if you are asking).
So when news pops up saying ''Mike is doing this or that''.... then I am interested.:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Morrissey and Joyce each have their own side of the story. In my experience the truth is typically somewhere in the middle.

Whatever issued Morrissey has with Joyce are his issues. There is nothing that Mike Joyce have ever done to me personally and I cannot crucify a guy based on the word of a pop singer I've never met.

Mike Joyce was part of The Smiths and I'm glad he was. Because this site includes Morrissey's associates past and present there is no reason to exclude him.

Morrissey does not like Mike Joyce. Not relevant to a website that he denounces.

In my own social circle I have friends who dislike each other. I don't choose sides. I'm certainly not going to choose sides in a battle that does not even exist in my personal universe.

EDIT: I think JJ was copying my paper on his last post ;)
EDIT 2: I think Joyce news should be there as long as it's relevant. I don't need to hear he was spotted at the grocery store.

Last edited:
Why does the royalties issue bother you? Were you involved?

OK, in answer to my answer ''yes''.
Mike Joyce was the drummer for the best band in the whole wide world (IMHO) and nothing can ever take that fact away. I lived through the 5 years of the band and saw them 5 times, my life revolved around that band and Manchester City FC for those 5 years..... (was unemployed for almost 4 of them:cool:)

So all four band members are as much a hero to me as Manchester City footballers were when I was a kid (Dennis Tueart, if you are asking).
So when news pops up saying ''Mike is doing this or that''.... then I am interested.:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

OK mate. A very fair point. :bow:

OK mate. A very fair point. :bow:

:thumb:

Also, please don't forget (before people come on and say ''This is Morrissey-SOLO... not The Smiths'') Mike played drums at Morrissey's first ever solo gig as well as on ''Playboys'' and ''Interesting Drug'', so he IS part of the Solo career too:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
just to add, I'm not getting into the wrongs and the rights of the feud. I'm pretty critical of modern-day Moz so there's no way I'd dislike someone coz Moz told me to! (although it's worth noting that Marr hates Joyce almost as much as Moz).
personally, I'm just bored to the back teeth with Joyce Michael and really couldn't care less about what he's doing.
but I was wondering how other people felt and it seems that most of you actually are genuinely interested in what he's up to.
which, frankly, is fair enough!

just to add, I'm not getting into the wrongs and the rights of the feud. I'm pretty critical of modern-day Moz so there's no way I'd dislike someone coz Moz told me to! (although it's worth noting that Marr hates Joyce almost as much as Moz).
personally, I'm just bored to the back teeth with Joyce Michael and really couldn't care less about what he's doing.
but I was wondering how other people felt and it seems that most of you actually are genuinely interested in what he's up to.
which, frankly, is fair enough!

and to add a little more, I'd actually be more interested to know what people like Steven Street and Spencer Cobrin are up.
they're people who've created wonderful music with Moz so I'd love to hear their thoughts on the songs they co-wrote, and if there was any chance they could work together again...

and to add a little more, I'd actually be more interested to know what people like Steven Street and Spencer Cobrin are up.
they're people who've created wonderful music with Moz so I'd love to hear their thoughts on the songs they co-wrote, and if there was any chance they could work together again...

Very good point......There is plenty of room for them all on this site.
Maybe we need a forum for ''Morrissey's Musicians''

Jukebox Jury

On that, we can agree, Mr E. :)

I think Joyce news should be there as long as it's relevant. I don't need to hear he was spotted at the grocery store.

....unless Joycie gives a shit-hot imprompteau drum solo while queuing at the till. I'd want to read about that. :thumb:

Very good point......There is plenty of room for them all on this site.
Maybe we need a forum for ''Morrissey's Musicians''

Jukebox Jury

*nods* This group of artists hover in a bit of a no man's land between GD and Other Music, depending on what exactly they are up to. I'd go with that suggestion. :)

The only reason I wouldn't have included the latest Joyce story is because it's a bit naff isn't it really? If he and Rourke were doing interesting things professionally I'd be up for hearing about them. As it is, I'm not really that interested in the latest wheeze they've found to wring the last few quid out of the stiff corpse of the Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom