Short-lived Smiths bass player Guy Pratt

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
Anyone else have his book 'My Bass And Other Animals'? I got it from the library this week. In it he tells the story of his career as a session musician playing for people like Bryan Ferry and David Glmour, and he also includes the tale of how he was in the Smiths for about a week, around the time of Rourke's visa problems. Good read anyway.

Anyone else have his book 'My Bass And Other Animals'? I got it from the library this week. In it he tells the story of his career as a session musician playing for people like Bryan Ferry and David Glmour, and he also includes the tale of how he was in the Smiths for about a week, around the time of Rourke's visa problems. Good read anyway.

I think I need to read this. There's some tales of booze and drugs in there. Champagne cocktails were the band's favourite drink. A dangerous thing.

P.

Wow! I didn't know that. He just wouldn't have fit in at all. I only say that 'cause anyone who fit into Pink Fraud couldn't possibly have fit into the Smiths.

Some people might be interested in reading this

Heh, the thing about Pratt's hair in that thread is interesting. In Pratt's Mozipedia entry his hair is described as a "long bob". It's true that he had it cut just before Rourke got his visa though. I was initially quite confused by the whole thing about when Pratt was in the band, as I thought that Gannon was drafted in to play bass, and then when Rourke got his visa through no-one had the heart to kick Gannon out the band, so he was added as a second guitarist. I now know that this (the Gannon thing) happened when Rourke was sacked, not when he had visa problems for the tour.

I have never heard his name before..

he's this one:
guy_pratt.jpg

Finally got the book yesterday, and it is indeed a jolly read. There's a great story about him, Marr, and some wallpaper in Rome. Anyway, one bit that caught my attention was towards the end of the chapter...

"Johnny and I had an unspoken agreement that we were going to start a band with David Palmer on drums when The Smiths' boat crashed."

P.

Finally got the book yesterday, and it is indeed a jolly read. There's a great story about him, Marr, and some wallpaper in Rome. Anyway, one bit that caught my attention was towards the end of the chapter...

"Johnny and I had an unspoken agreement that we were going to start a band with David Palmer on drums when The Smiths' boat crashed."

P.

Thanks for the snippets.

Weird that Johnny joined The The and David Palmer was the drummer at than time.

Johnny has a bad habit to make a promise like that.
I read Hooky's interview in early 90s who was bitter that Johnny formed a band with Barney not him.

I don't think he should be really classed as a Smith member though as there are no recordings or live performances by him as a Smith. I think Dale Hibbert and Simon Wolstencroft are more Smith members than him

Back
Top Bottom