She is off the tour.

My idea is it was simply that Morrissey had a bit of a romantic crush on Kristeen. When she made her comment his interpretation was that she thought of him as someone to be made fun of rather than to be taken seriously and he felt a fool. So he instantly went into reject mode.

Seems the most likely psychological explanation for such an overreaction to me.

My idea is it was simply that Morrissey had a bit of a romantic crush on Kristeen. When she made her comment his interpretation was that she thought of him as someone to be made fun of rather than to be taken seriously and he felt a fool. So he instantly went into reject mode.

Interesting........look at these quotes:

"Kristeen's single is 'Kill the Father' and is the best song I've heard for 50 years. I especially love the line "strangle Bowie with/his neckerchief" which, you must agree, is quite an idea. Kristeen is from St Louis - which, I am told, is another way of saying Mars [although I really shouldn't say this in view of the fact that we play St Louis in November.] Kristeen is a dramatic woman - monumental vocal gifts, unwalkable heels, hypnotic way with the keyboard, and underneath it all she is still 16 (and a half.) I watch her set every night and I am dazed. I was thrilled by audience reactions to Kristeen - especially in Iceland and Italy where their intakes of breath could be heard as Kristeen ripped into the high notes. She is an artist who adapts the world to her own needs, which I appreciate. There's no other way." From the 'Post-Tour notes' on True-To-You, 7th Sept 2006

"Thanks to the mesmerizing Kristeen Young, and also to Sons and Daughter and Tiger Army and The Boyfriends for filling in the gaps. Kristeen, I think, will soon be bigger than life. To me, she already is."
Letter from Morrissey, True To You, 21st July 2006

I can't take quotes out of this - the whole piece is written in her praise!

From The Guardian, 10th March 2007 - Morrissey on Kristeen (but not literally!)

"If you travel to New York you should see the sights - of which Kristeen Young is one. She learned to speak by listening to the radio back in Fort Crumb, St Louis. She spent her entire teenage years making excuses to run upstairs in order to avoid adult conversation - a habit as yet unbroken.
She sings about the way we live when we are prevented from living the way we'd like to. The sound is as good as you'll ever hear in modern music. We scan the British pop charts in the hopeless quest for something different. Kristeen Young frees us from this.
Do you remember an ancient notion of how good the very best should be? This is Kristeen Young. She uses her keyboard as a highly trained Nazi might use an electronic rod for shocking the parts - the hands moving so fast that whether they actually move at all is an ongoing debate. The voice is a beautiful bayonet, and the life swills out in song - "Strangle Bowie with/his neckerchief," she sings in Kill The Father - but with a heart big enough to trot horses on.
Augmented by drummer Baby Jeff White, the sound is as loud as a landing 747 - each cymbal-crash a clean shot to the head. There are other pop destinies and there is original pop wisdom - yes, still, even now, despite the Brit Awards - and it is here in Kristeen's lyrics, a windstorm of confetti telling us (but nicely) how nothing and nowhere protects anyone. That includes you, incidentally. So deep do the rhymes strike that I already feel I owe Kristeen Young something, which is the best feeling a singer can surely give us. Beneath the water-plant hairstyle (hers, not mine) is a face made to be peered at till the end of time. The eye-crossing drabness of flicking through music magazines could be undone in a flash by Kristeen Young. Please, lower yourself in."

He really did praise her and adore her so much, far more than any support act he's had before. So make of that what you will. Jones may be right!

Someone disagrees with you so you want to take your ball and go home?

It's just conversation. Stay a little longer?

It wasn't the disagreement, it was the fact that I came in with a line of argument and was told it wasn't legitimate because I was talking about someone who wasn't worthy of serious consideration. It was made pretty clear that the other person wasn't interested in discussing the idea on my terms (i.e. that she is worthy of etc etc), and (to their credit) didn't want to fight, so I left.

I did so in a huffy manner, and apologize. There was a buildup effect at work, it wasn't just here and on this thread and on this day.

Anyway, I shouldn't have brought that kind of thing to Solo in the first place; it's sort of like striking up a conversation with a United fan about how they really ought to acknowledge that City have a real treasure in Martin Petrov. And so, yes, like our unfortunate Blue, I am picking up my ball and leaving. You can picture me kicking it idly around Salford, except I'm not actually English.

(In the case of the truly Kristeen-apathetic, substitute a conversation about Major League Soccer. I'm not picky, in addition to not being English. It's kind of Negation Day.)

Last edited:
maybe he just sacked her because she was super unprofessional and disrespectful of their working and personal relationship in front of thousands of viewers and listeners? I don't get it... how is that not crystal clear?

Well if Moz did boot her for calling him that she was wrong, and about three and a half inches out. Sometimes we have to admit that despite being a genius and the music scenes greatest gift in the last twenty five years Morrissey has shown a tendency on several occasions to act like a prick.

I have to say that makes more sense than anything else i have read here on the subject.

The end and final reason as to why she was fired:

She pretty much just spat on Superman's cape.

Is that so hard to follow?

All of you know Moz well enough to know there was no way "The Bjork Identity" was going to get away with that. It can be simply put:

"That's Moz"

One quote from "Pretty girls make graves" neatly sums is up:

"she is too rough and I'm too delicate"

It is true that Morrissey, as a famous person has to be particularly careful with the use he makes of the power he has (and of which he may not always be conscious).
But, seeing this episode from a personal perspective, and especially from a gender-neutral perspective, I fully understand his attitude.
How would anyone react (for cultural reasons, especially if it were a woman) if someone proclaimed publically that she "gave good head" or "good blowjobs" or whatever? Would it not be immediately sensed as as crass vulgarity and a lack of respect?
I think what Morrissey did here was just to apply the same sort of "touchiness" that a woman would in this sort of situation. Of course, nobody understands him, because he is a man, and men are supposed to bragg about their (real or fictional) sex acts, tastes and desires...

How would anyone react (for cultural reasons, especially if it were a woman) if someone proclaimed publically that she "gave good head" or "good blowjobs" or whatever? Would it not be immediately sensed as as crass vulgarity and a lack of respect?
I think what Morrissey did here was just to apply the same sort of "touchiness" that a woman would in this sort of situation. Of course, nobody understands him, because he is a man, and men are supposed to bragg about their (real or fictional) sex acts, tastes and desires...
I agree.

I didn't think much of her or her music, so I'm glad she won't be supporting.
It may be that she had been making comments along a similar line earlier offstage, he told her he didn't appreciate it, she ignored and he got pissed off and kicked her off the tour.
She's supporting him, it's his tour, if she's going to say something that he could take as offensive, he's entitled to throw her off. You don't invite people round to your house and then tolerate them saying things about your sexuality/sexual activities to strangers.
Is there a link to the story? Because I'm confused how saying that "Morrissey gives good head - cunnilingus" is a comeback to a heckler? And thats how I understand the story to have happened.

If thats the case, then sounds like Freuds reaction-formation ego-defence mechanisms at play...(I've been revising psychology all day, I need to show off my new knowledge!)

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom