Sexuality and the selling of music

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4260

First, let me say this is not a "is Moz gay or straight" thread.
Like I posted on the main page about Mark Simpson:

"He's neither in or out. He just is. Leave it alone.
Maybe if people stopped obessing about it Morrissey will let us know at his own convience.
I don't care either way.
If he's straight..cool I can indulge my fantasy of marrying him..
If he's gay cool..no other woman can have it.
It works for me either way."

What I am curious what would happen if Moz came out one way or another.
Of course nothing would change for the fans he has now, but do you think it will effect any new fans he may get.
If he came out as homosexual, would he not gain as many female fans as he would if he was straight and vice versa..If he came out as a straight man would he not get as many fans in the gay community.

Case #1 for yes: Rufus Wainwright. He's a great songwriter and kinda hot. I think if his sexual orentation never came out that he would have a bigger and more rabid female fan base. He def has female fans, but they are not the majority at his concerts.
OR
Case # 2 for no :George Micheal. I don't think it mattered at all when he came out. He still gets homosexual and female fans. (The entire Oprah audience almost wept when he came out..lol)

So, I see why Morrissey does not say what his sexual orientation is. He still gets the huge gay crowd and he still gets the huge female crowd. He gets the best of both worlds.

Comments?

Like I posted on the main page about Mark Simpson:

"He's neither in or out. He just is. Leave it alone.
Maybe if people stopped obessing about it Morrissey will let us know at his own convience.
I don't care either way.
If he's straight..cool I can indulge my fantasy of marrying him..
If he's gay cool..no other woman can have it.
It works for me either way."

What I am curious what would happen if Moz came out one way or another.
Of course nothing would change for the fans he has now, but do you think it will effect any new fans he may get.
If he came out as homosexual, would he not gain as many female fans as he would if he was straight and vice versa..If he came out as a straight man would he not get as many fans in the gay community.

Case #1 for yes: Rufus Wainwright. He's a great songwriter and kinda hot. I think if his sexual orentation never came out that he would have a bigger and more rabid female fan base. He def has female fans, but they are not the majority at his concerts.
OR
Case # 2 for no :George Micheal. I don't think it mattered at all when he came out. He still gets homosexual and female fans. (The entire Oprah audience almost wept when he came out..lol)

So, I see why Morrissey does not say what his sexual orientation is. He still gets the huge gay crowd and he still gets the huge female crowd. He gets the best of both worlds.

Comments?

This is getting old and tiresome...

I don't care what detergent he uses to wash his laundry and I don't care who he sleeps in his bed...Shall I retrieve our automated Thread Linker?

rosie6.jpg

This is getting old and tiresome...

I don't care what detergent he uses to wash his laundry and I don't care who he sleeps in his bed...Shall I retrieve our automated Thread Linker?

rosie6.jpg

I don't care about his sexuality either as I stated in my post. What I am curious about is sexuality in general for music performers. Maybe I should move this topic to "Off topic" because I knew some people were going to take this as a , "is he or isn't he" post.

I don't care about his sexuality either as I stated in my post. What I am curious about is sexuality in general for music performers. Maybe I should move this topic to "Off topic" because I knew some people were going to take this as a , "is he or isn't he" post.

Well it's not so much that...It's just the fact that it's being discussed at all...

We've gotten tired of it

I would be shocked if he was hetero, but quite frankly,...what impact does that have on his music? It won't sound any different. If Moz decided to bare his secrets to the world on live tv, I'd post on this forum about it, and go sing "First of the Gang.." in the shower. Nuff said.

Well, I'm new to this board as of April. I used to belong years ago, but recently got addicted again.

I'm not sick of the subject of discussing what I posted above. I did search the forurm before even posting that and I couldn't find anything related to my question. All I got up were the run of the mill threads about Morrissey's sexuality. I am asking what do you think the ramifications in his career would be he came out one way or another.

Monique

Of course nothing would change for the fans he has now

hmm.... i think it could change more for current fans (myself excluded, unless he pulled off his mask scooby-doo style and revealed himself a woman)

most people with a distant familiarity know him to be the singer from the smiths who is:
-gay
or
-asexual, which always seems to be more threatening than gay or straight

if he announced himself straight, it would probably knock him down the homosexual icon stairs by a landing or two

if he came out of a closet, straight female fans (many posters in here, and the "betty page" girls) would be fairly crushed.....

but outside the realm of the moz-superfan a de-closeting would just be about as much of a non-story as when David Hyde Pierce came out about a month ago (oh you never heard?)

Every time this discussion of Morrissey's sexuality is brought up, I find it my duty to just link people to this quote, so that they avoid assumptions and rumours when trying to figure anything about someone's personal life. If you care so much, here's the truth from the man himself:

Observer, December 1992
Morrissey Flowers Again

..... 'I'm not running ahead and leaving clues hidden behind bus stops, as it were,' he says. 'One of my physical encounters was with a man. That was 10 years ago. It was just a very brief, absurd and amusing moment,' adds Morrissey, in his best Oscar Wilde. 'It wasn't love. I have never experienced that.'

Has he slept with women? 'Yes. I feel completely open. If I met somebody tomorrow, male or female, and they loved me and I loved them, I would openly proclaim that I loved them, regardless of what they were. I think people should be loved whatever their gender, whatever their age. I am open to everything. I accept that my experience is different from that of most men. But I feel reasonably normal. I don't feel like a freak. My world is bigger. I never lived in a small town with small morals. I don't want to take drugs. I don't, so far as I am aware, want to take part in activities such as group sex. I'm actually a reasonably conservative, boring person.'....

and heeeere's a link: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1992/observer.htm

I can't believe that after that honest quote by Morrissey, people STILL discuss this, in one way or another. What more can he say for f*** sake!

Every time this discussion of Morrissey's sexuality is brought up, I find it my duty to just link people to this quote, so that they avoid assumptions and rumours when trying to figure anything about someone's personal life. If you care so much, here's the truth from the man himself:

Observer, December 1992
Morrissey Flowers Again

..... 'I'm not running ahead and leaving clues hidden behind bus stops, as it were,' he says. 'One of my physical encounters was with a man. That was 10 years ago. It was just a very brief, absurd and amusing moment,' adds Morrissey, in his best Oscar Wilde. 'It wasn't love. I have never experienced that.'

Has he slept with women? 'Yes. I feel completely open. If I met somebody tomorrow, male or female, and they loved me and I loved them, I would openly proclaim that I loved them, regardless of what they were. I think people should be loved whatever their gender, whatever their age. I am open to everything. I accept that my experience is different from that of most men. But I feel reasonably normal. I don't feel like a freak. My world is bigger. I never lived in a small town with small morals. I don't want to take drugs. I don't, so far as I am aware, want to take part in activities such as group sex. I'm actually a reasonably conservative, boring person.'....

and heeeere's a link: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1992/observer.htm

I can't believe that after that honest quote by Morrissey, people STILL discuss this, in one way or another. What more can he say for f*** sake!

Thanks for sharing. I never read that before. :)

Thanks for sharing. I never read that before. :)

neither have thousands of Morrissey "experts" apparently. Next time I go to a Morrissey concert, I am printing out that quote and shoving it in the face of the first person who opens their mouth wishing to speculate and give their humble opinion loudly for the entire queue!

I think some people would reject his music because he is (hypothetically, for the sake of this thread) gay. The same type of people who won't listen to REM, Pet Shop Boys, Suede, Queen or whoever because they don't want to be found listening to "gay music". Whatever the psychology behind that is.

And of courrse Tehran would be off. :D

As a gay boy,
I honestly think he's gay.
I mean, I'm gay, and I don't act as flamboyant as he does.
And I never wore a pink bag to school.
I've never danced around like that , well, maybe once or twice.

Eitherway, I think morrissey is beyond this world. His world is bigger. so he might just be into anyone who interests him. Why does he have to chose ya know?

Anyhoot. in terms of fans, unfortunately alot of gay peeps don't have good taste in music....then again, most people don't have good taste in music.
but yeh, not too many gay morrissey fans :( Even with the ambigous lyrics..*shrug*
I don't really get it. but alas. it is what it is.

I'm starting a thread about what kind of Soap Morrissey uses.... :rolleyes:

As a gay boy,
I honestly think he's gay.
I mean, I'm gay, and I don't act as flamboyant as he does.
And I never wore a pink bag to school.
I've never danced around like that , well, maybe once or twice.

Eitherway, I think morrissey is beyond this world. His world is bigger. so he might just be into anyone who interests him. Why does he have to chose ya know?

Anyhoot. in terms of fans, unfortunately alot of gay peeps don't have good taste in music....then again, most people don't have good taste in music.
but yeh, not too many gay morrissey fans :( Even with the ambigous lyrics..*shrug*
I don't really get it. but alas. it is what it is.

MY GOD. Did you read the quote i JUST posted above?????
Are all of you speculators illiterate!?!?!??!?!!?!? Or just have a problem with accepting what he says!!?!?!?!??! I think this, I think that-...who are you to think anything in that respect!??!?!?!?! Read the quote and cut out the speculations.

MY GOD. Did you read the quote i JUST posted above?????
Are all of you speculators illiterate!?!?!??!?!!?!? Or just have a problem with accepting what he says!!?!?!?!??! I think this, I think that-...who are you to think anything in that respect!??!?!?!?! Read the quote and cut out the speculations.

Please shut the f*** up.
Yes I've read the interview a long time ago.

I said I PERSONALLY "THINK" he's gay. That's MY own f***ing opinion, so back off bitch.

Comments?

That didn't last long now, did it?

That is why we find it so tediously annoying to discuss the man's private life

i had a lover once who used irish spring and the smell made me gag so i basically told him if he wanted to even set foot in my house that he would have to change soaps. and so he switched to lever 2000 and it still wasnt working out for me. finally i got him to use dr bronners peppermint. then it was fine for like 2 months then i went away and we stopped going together.

I think Morrissey and I should do a naughty photo shoot together to put all the gay rumors to rest. Then we'll put this picture on the cover of his next album and we'll sit back and watch as 4,000,000 sell in the first month.

JanelleRealLife31.jpg

:rolleyes:

LOL
You guys talk as if no celebritie's sexual life is ever discussed. Pahlease.
He's really not the only one.

We're free to speculate all we want, even if he doesn't like it. *shrug*
I honestly don't care eitherway wether he's a homo, bi, straight, whatever. because its not like he's gonna marry me (even though I'd wish).

But eitherway, people have the freedom to think, and speak as they will. so let it be.

Back
Top Bottom