Seven bands from the 80s we wish would reunite - BBC Entertainment

Seven bands from the 80s we wish would reunite - BBC News
By Emma Saunders

Children of the 1980s, rejoice - the original Bananarama line-up is back together at last. Which got us thinking - lots of 80s bands have reformed over recent years but which ones are we still wishing would reunite?

Excerpt:

2. The Smiths

Never gonna happen. Yes, we know. But just imagine! Johnny Marr and Steven Morrissey formed the band in 1982 with bassist Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce.

They went on to release 17 singles and four studio albums, becoming one of the most influential bands of the 1980s.

Hits included This Charming Man, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, How Soon is Now?, Big Mouth Strikes Again, Panic and Girlfriend in a Coma.

But the dream combo of Marr's melodies and Morrissey's musings was broken with the band's acrimonious split in 1987.

In Marr's autobiography Set The Boy Free, he revealed that the official version of him walking out on the band wasn't the full story.

The tipping point, says Marr, was when Morrissey didn't turn up for the video shoot of the single Shoplifters Of The World Unite, and ordered him to sack their latest manager.

Whatever the truth, Marr also wrote that he and Morrissey discussed the possibility of a reunion back in 2008. We're still waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
not one of those bands could lace the smiths boots.head n shoulders above any of them.

not one of those bands could lace the smiths boots.head n shoulders above any of them.
Agreed. Loved the odd single from Housemartins, and have a couple of Style Council albums, but FGTH? Suppose it's nice as a nostalgia piece, but still...agreed.

Curiosity Killed The Cat - seriously!? Total plonker.
The Style Council were great, but they were surpassed imho by 'The Paul Weller Movement' which was incredible live (although not 80's).
Bronski Beat - with Jimmy: yes. Without - no thank you. Saw him in 2015 and his voice was still incredible.
Communards - non-chart material was interesting, but the chart stuff was a bit dreck.
Richard Coles is now a bellend,which will probably see off any chances there.
Frankie could have a short-lived revival just due to the tensions in NK. I miss ZTT more than them though.
Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4 is a great album worth owning (some of us weren't enthused at the time, but have warmed to it).
Regards,
FWD.

I'm starting feel like that meeting in a bar gets misrepresented and overblown sometimes. Not crazy about any of those bands. I've tried to get into the style council and just can't. I can see the talent and objectively say they're a good band but I've never connected or cared about a single song. I liked the housemartins and the beautiful south alright but I'm not clamoring for a reunion though I'd check it out if one or occurred. The rest seem like weird choices. There's got to be other bands that would make for better Reunions

The Thompson Twins have to be one of the worst bands ever. What makes them really bad is they had no idea they were shit. At least a shit band like Steps are aware they are a bit rubbish. Jesus I hope I never hear a Thompson Twins song ever again.

Fascinating information in this post about which of these bands I have heard. You might want to scroll on past.
I've never heard Curiosity Killed The Cat but now I'm curious. I bought a Thompson Twins cassette once because I was uninformed or misinformed and thought it was going to be like Depeche Mode which I liked at the time. They didn't play this stuff on the radio where I lived so you had to spend $7.88 on a cassette and take your chances.
Maybe I'd like them now but I hated them then. The store had a policy where you could return and get credit minus $2 and they would sell it then as used. I think my Thompson Twins tape was still there when they went out of business.
I think I've heard the Housemartins but I'm not sure. I'll go to youtube and check it out. I bought a Style Council lp a long time ago because my friend said they were good but I wound up giving it to her. I don't remember it. I knew he was from The Jam but I compared all punk rock to the Sex Pistols and nothing else was as good. Style Council might have been less annoying than Big Audio Dynamite but I'm not sure. I forget. I consider them the same category because they were bands that were known because one of the members had been in an important punk band. But really Public Image Limited was the only one of those I can think of offhand that mattered.
This real idiot neighbor I had liked to play "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood in between playing garbage like Nickleback. I don't think he knew what it was about. I only knew Relax and Two Tribes. I considered them to be sort of like Culture Club or Duran Duran and I was more into Ozzy at that time. But theie "Bands Reunited" show is pretty good. I can't imagine why a band with two hits that doesn't get along anymore should reunite but whatever.
And I hope The Smiths never reunite. Keep those memories the way they are now. Sorry, Uncle Skinny. But do you really want Morrissey to make Johnny Marr wear a "We hate William and Kate" t-shirt?

agree with taco Tuesday,some good points in there.

Thompson twins HOLD ME NOW,,,,NAH DONT THINK I LL BOTHER.

Thompson twins HOLD ME NOW,,,,NAH DONT THINK I LL BOTHER.

But you get two for the price of one cause they are twins! :D
You could reconsider, there is still time for it!

What a goofy list. I have one and only one band on my 80's reunion wish list. Talking Heads.\
Edit: And yes, I know they technically started in the 70's, but still-

What a goofy list. I have one and only one band on my 80's reunion wish list. Talking Heads.\
Edit: And yes, I know they technically started in the 70's, but still-

Good one!
Talking Heads were great!
Or David Byrne can reunite with himself although I don't know if he was split. And in how many pieces.

Humm, Reckon not going to happen? Reckon try Nike HQ last night in John Maher's hometown Portland, Oregon. Reckon how do you think Steve gets all that free Nike swag.

david byrne was born just across the water from me in Dumbarton which isn't very far from morrisseys concert in dunoon,the one you had to get a ferry over to,great days when he played small venues.

Its not a reunion many are clamoring for but I'd love to see felt reunite with original lead guitarist and co writer Maurice. Talking heads is a great one but I don't know much about the band outside of the albums. I know Byrne was the principal songwriter but the rest contributed some as well right

david byrne was born just across the water from me in Dumbarton which isn't very far from morrisseys concert in dunoon,the one you had to get a ferry over to,great days when he played small venues.

M played there in 2011 Queens hall has a capacity of 1000 if google is correct. I had the pleasure of seeing him at Bowery Ballroom in 2009 a capacity of 550, it was a great show. Smaller better does apply here ! :)

the Jam!...but they could be the opener of a reunion day gig for the Smiths as last of the day

Highly doubt Paul Weller has much interest in opening up for Morrissey or the Smiths in any form, based on some of his disparaging comments years ago. (I can't put my finger on what it was he exactly said, but it was very unflattering towards Moz and his music.)

Highly doubt Paul Weller has much interest in opening up for Morrissey or the Smiths in any form, based on some of his disparaging comments years ago. (I can't put my finger on what it was he exactly said, but it was very unflattering towards Moz and his music.)
Weller from The Sun 2006:
"There is a renaissance of British music out there at the moment with bands like The Kooks and The Zutons.
When Morrissey says that British radio has got it all wrong, that's rubbish!
What, 'cos you're not playing his latest record? That's not necessarily a bad thing is it?"

Weller from Mojo Magazine 2008:
“I’d never really got them before, but when I saw them live I thought, “f**king hell!” When they hit hit the stage it made me think of the Jam days; there was an explosion when they hit the boards…but I never listened to any of their records to tell you the truth. I liked a couple of singles, but I was never a fan. I’m certainly not a fan of Morrissey’s solo stuff. It’s a weird thing, because he’s a bit of a fan of mine [Moz covered the Jam’s “That’s Entertainment” in 1991]. But it’s not reciprocated. It bugs me, I don’t want to diss him in print, but he’s a quintessential Englishman but lives in L.A.”

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom