SER YT shares "Brow Of My Beloved" (unreleased version), "I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed" as a thank you (August 22, 2020)

There is someone wearing a Motörhead shirt and two women kissing in the picture that accompanies the unreleased version of Brow Of My Beloved.
Thank you,but i wanted to know what the lyrics of the song say

Sweet. These tracks need to be put on Spotify along with blue dreamers eyes and by the time etc. would make a nice pandemic ep.
unheard music is always the best morrissey thank you. Thanks to Sam
I agree wholeheartedly, that's four great tracks put online as a gift to the fans, incredibly generous given what it takes to write a song from scratch to having it ready for release. Thanks Morrissey & Sam for all these gems.

It was supposedly recorded during the Low In High School sessions, no? It doesn't really fit the "concept" of the album, just like Blue Dreamers Eyes and By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going. They're all very nice, light, classic pop songs.
I Couldn't Understand is comparable pace wise to In Your Lap or Girl From Tel Aviv, could easily have taken one of those positions on LIHS. I really like all four of these giveaway tracks, very generous to give them away as a gift to the fans.

What a lovely gesture, especially at this time. We are so lucky to have him. Let’s hope he keeps writing and singing for the next 20 years...
Thank you and thank you too, Sam.

I really like all four of these giveaway tracks, very generous to give them away as a gift to the fans.
It is, but it makes the impending Record Store Day single release even more baffling. Why re-release 3 tracks every fan already has, when he could have released an EP of entirely new songs? I just don't get the logic. :unsure:

"Couldn't Understand.." sounds like a song fragment, sounds unfinished. The vocal melody could be a lot stronger.

Roughly translated as "Morrissey gave us this beautiful song to listen to, but it's not as good as it would have been if it would have been different to what it is".

Predictable as ever.

It is, but it makes the impending Record Store Day single release even more baffling. Why re-release 3 tracks every fan already has, when he could have released an EP of entirely new songs? I just don't get the logic. :unsure:
It would be great to have the four aforementioned tracks on an E.P. as a brand new release, they are all strong tracks in their own way and would be even stronger together.

Brow Of My Beloved is credited with being recorded (probably 'finished' is more accurate) at Sunset Sound, 2018 via the vinyl itself and is a Moz/Boz track - this version would be assumed to be prior to the vinyl version and actually part of the California Son sessions in terms of time period (similar to Chain Gang being just prior to CS).
There's no indication (and probably never will be) when this was actually written, but is likely to have stemmed from the Chiccarelli assertion that LIHS had many tracks left over (eg: Lover-To-Be, Never Again Will I Be A Twin, This Song Doesn't End When It's Over... - all overspill tracks - Forum Music Village, Rome, 2017).
The same could probably be said for "I Couldn't...' (Moz/Boz), but obviously there's no vinyl to date this (finished?) studio recording.
Given both tracks were known by name circa 2017 (via BMI), it could be the case of written during LIHS and finished/tinkered with elsewhere later - so trying to give a definitive attribution is futile without further information.
France, Italy, Sunset and dipping in and out of studios prior to main recording sessions all complicating things further.
Regards,
FWD.

What an absolute TREAT an EP of Laughed, Dreamers and By the Time (along with a fourth one) would be. I'd pay good money for it.

The songs are not completely finished. Maybe Morrissey isn't the person, who puts much effort in polishing up old leftovers, like The Rolling Stones with "Starlet" f.e. Anyway, 2 amazing gems, that sound again like most of the tracks on the WPINOYB bonus disc. A style that would have suited a mature Moz very very well on official releases. Thanks indeed, all involved.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of Brow of My Beloved myself, but I Couldn't Understand... is really rather nice.

What an absolute TREAT an EP of Laughed, Dreamers and By the Time (along with a fourth one) would be. I'd pay good money for it.

Yes, there was definitely the potential for an excellent post-High School EP given all the unreleased tracks and oddities like I Thought You Were Dead. Many of them are better than songs that actually made the album.

I Couldn't Understand is comparable pace wise to In Your Lap or Girl From Tel Aviv, could easily have taken one of those positions on LIHS.
Lyrically it would seem out of place on Low In High School though. No politics, no war, no whaling, no news bashing. That's what I meant by "concept" - The main focus on LIHS is the "outside world".
This song is introspect and personal, almost timeless. Even the animal rights bit is subtle.

The only other song that shares these qualities on LIHS would be Home Is A Question Mark, at least in my opinion.
(I don't even dislike most of LIHS, but it's very different from this more "classical" sounding song)

Thank you,but i wanted to know what the lyrics of the song say

I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed

I stood upon the stage
I started to sing my song
I said I
Can rectify
Everything that's wrong

And I couldn't understand why people laughed
I couldn't understand
I collected my things and I left
Because now I understand
I understand

I moved across the stage
I sang loud and proud in time
I said I look into animal's eyes
And I see mine
I see mine

I couldn't understand
Because now I understand
I understand

Spotlit on the stage
For the whole world to see
I sang I am she
And he is me
He is me

In full flight on the stage
I'm now so poorly lit
I sing it because I
Could never speak it
I could never speak it

I couldn't understand
Because now I understand
I understand

I froze upon the stage
The soul open wide
And people laughed so hard
That they cried

I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed

MP3:

Brow Of My Beloved (Unreleased Version)

MP3:

Source: 1080 video->audacity->192kbps constant.
(I will not encode at 320 if the audio source is less than half of that - totally unnecessary).
FWD.

Thank you!

'I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed' - A beautiful piece of art. I like it very much :hearteyes:
Thank YOU MOZ & SER .

...and we thank you.

Thanks Moz/SER for these 2 special gifts, which are even more wonderful & special owing to the current circs in the Moz household.

I can now update my spreadsheet regarding ICUWPL which was previously annotated as *Unreleased Rumour Unavailable! ;)

Thanks so much.

* there are c. 21 others under this category.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom