Second last songs on albums

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
Second to last songs on albums

I was just thinking about this when I was driving earlier. Have you ever noticed how the second last song on albums in general tend to be... I don't know, what's the best word for it? Obscure? I find that quite often I forget what the second last song on an album is, quite possibly because the best is saved for last and overtakes it in my mind. When an artist puts together a final track listing, I wonder how that second last one is chosen?

In any case, what are your thoughts on second last songs on albums? Concept albums are a slightly different story, but generally speaking, I'd like to hear some opinions.

Last edited:
i dont know ive never really thought about it though i love dog man stars asphalt world which is pretty epic as well as the decemberists bus mall which is second to last on picaresque as also awesome.

I think this is a good point. It got me thinking firstly of The Smiths/Morrissey and some of the weakest tracks do seem to fall into that spot on the album: I Don't Owe You Anything, Death At One's Elbow, Dial A Cliche, Sorry Doesn't Help...not necessarily bad songs but definitely not stand outs. On the other hand however, we have songs like There Is A Light..., I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, and Mountjoy on their respective albums. But then again, those albums were all consistently good. I suppose an artist will always want to open the album strongly and finish strongly, and perhaps have a brilliant song bang in the middle, so perhaps the weaker songs tend to find themselves in between.

I think this is a good point. It got me thinking firstly of The Smiths/Morrissey and some of the weakest tracks do seem to fall into that spot on the album: I Don't Owe You Anything, Death At One's Elbow, Dial A Cliche, Sorry Doesn't Help...not necessarily bad songs but definitely not stand outs. On the other hand however, we have songs like There Is A Light..., I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, and Mountjoy on their respective albums. But then again, those albums were all consistently good. I suppose an artist will always want to open the album strongly and finish strongly, and perhaps have a brilliant song bang in the middle, so perhaps the weaker songs tend to find themselves in between.

i can agree with this when applied to moz albums now that you say it. i know its a popular song but i agree about i know its gonna happen someday. i usually skip it in order to get to tomorrow. i dont know about smiths albums though. we might have to agree to disagree

I Know It's Gonna Happen...is a more fitting closer than Tomorrow is. Tomorrow sounds almost like a bonus track. An album closer should be epic and soaring or dramatic and majestic - not a straightforward pop-rocker. Silly.

I Know It's Gonna Happen...is a more fitting closer than Tomorrow is. Tomorrow sounds almost like a bonus track. An album closer should be epic and soaring or dramatic and majestic - not a straightforward pop-rocker. Silly.

it sounds boring to me, i know its gonna happen, as i just dont relate to its lyrical sentiment at all. it sounds like morrissey in self pitying sad sack mode. while the music of tomorrow is very straight forward its also very good and goes with the aggressiveness of the lyrics, the challenging of peoples expectations on him and his steadfastness towards those peoples opinions of him and theyre hoping he fails. i like the strength portrayed in those lyrics and the vocal melodies/hooks are excellent. tomorrow goes much more with the theme of your arsenal than i know its gonna happen imo. its gonna happens feels like an anomaly

Politely disagree. IKIGHSD is a great tune and a triumphant two fingers to doubt and pessimism, but Tomorrow is a fantastic anthem about hope and excitement. And the outro with the piano ditty works as a perfect album closer.

Politely disagree. IKIGHSD is a great tune and a triumphant two fingers to doubt and pessimism, but Tomorrow is a fantastic anthem about hope and excitement. And the outro with the piano ditty works as a perfect album closer.

and while im a not giant fan of the song i know it gonna happen they do i admit make a nice closing pair. first the worrying ballad posing the question and then tomorrow comes in with the answer to when. i know its gonna happen tomorrow

I agree about the piano thing. In all other aspects it's unfitting as a closer.

Mozzers greatest second to last album track (solo) is probably Mountjoy, or He Cried. At this moment based solely on the sheer quality of the songs and not much else.

I agree about the piano thing. In all other aspects it's unfitting as a closer.

Mozzers greatest second to last album track (solo) is probably Mountjoy, or He Cried. At this moment based solely on the sheer quality of the songs and not much else.

Technically He Cried is third to last and Sorrow Will Come In The End is second to last.

- - - Updated - - -

and while im a not giant fan of the song i know it gonna happen they do i admit make a nice closing pair. first the worrying ballad posing the question and then tomorrow comes in with the answer to when. i know its gonna happen tomorrow

What about the remaster and changing it to the US Mix as the album closer?

Technically He Cried is third to last and Sorrow Will Come In The End is second to last.

- - - Updated - - -

Not on the original UK edition, though?

- - - Updated - - -

What about the remaster and changing it to the US Mix as the album closer?

the differences between the us and original mix isnt as apparent to me when listening so it doesnt make to big a difference to me.

Well written, but I just need to say, I love "I Don't Owe You Anything." What a great song.

never actually thought about this but its a great point, its certainly true for morrissey I think. The Stone Roses has 'The is the one' and the second to last song and thats my favourite song on the album.

Back
Top Bottom