Season 2011/2012 football thread

mattisek

Sorry if something has been posted already, but I couldn't find a football thread for the new season yet. As football has always been a major factor in my life, I'd like to share some expectations for the new season with some fellow SoLowers:

Despite being German I'm a big supporter of Celtic ( just met too many Scots and Irish I guess). I hope we can improve somehow and win the SPL. Not so high hopes for the EL though as I think the gap between the big leagues and the others have constantly increased over the years.

Over here in Germany: Hertha being promoted to the Bundesliga means we finally have a Bundesliga team in the German capital (my hometown) again. I think they shiould avoidd relegation. Bayern is obviously condemned to win the Bundesliga and they will try to reach the CL-final in Munich. I'm not sure about the defence though, whereas their attacking force is among the best in Europe I think. And will Borussia Dortmund be able to repeat their fantastic domestic season from last year and make progress in Europe. I expect an interesting season again with many surprises. In fact I think the Bundesliga will be so most balanced of the top leagues although it won't probably close the gap to the top 4 clubs in Europe.

EPL: Same procedure as every year. The top 4 will be the same I reckon. Maybe Liverpool can improve. Most certainly one of the clubs will have the chance to win the CL.

La Liga: I can't see Real challenging Barca really. I personally prefer the Barca's style anyway. Barca obviously real contenders for the CL too, very hard to beat although no team has ever won the CL two times in a row.

So what do you think about your league in particular or in general?

Well the Jets picked up Plaxico straight out of prison so I am pretty interested to see how that turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Well the Jets picked up Plaxico straight out of prison so I am pretty interested to see how that turns out.

Hopefully his press takes some heat off our dog-killing QB. Go Eagles! (God played a trick on me the day our team picked him up. "You must now practice forgiveness!!" Grrrr, I just wanna drink beer and watch some football on sunday. What's with You and Your agenda always, G? :D)

Hopefully his press takes some heat off our dog-killing QB. Go Eagles! (God played a trick on me the day our team picked him up. "You must now practice forgiveness!!" Grrrr, I just wanna drink beer and watch some football on sunday. What's with You and Your agenda always, G? :D)

I don't have an agenda... I just spread love. It's the Brooklyn way.

Notorious_BIG-Standard.jpg

come on you spurs! the aim for this season: top 4 finish and back in the champions league.

come on you spurs! the aim for this season: top 4 finish and back in the champions league.

The Spurs?

NBA is still on lockout my friend. Even Kobe is headed to play in China or Turkey.

lol not san antonio, mate. im talking about tottenham in the epl. english football. they are also called spurs.

i'm an nba fan as well though. still a lockout you say. will they manage to get the season up and running? even a shortened season is better than nothing. i'll be gutted if this season is a non-event.

Thanks, chris for being on-topic.

Will Americans ever learn what real football is? Actually it's quite simple because we play it with our feet.

chris said:
lol not san antonio, mate. im talking about tottenham in the epl. english football. they are also called spurs.

i'm an nba fan as well though. still a lockout you say. will they manage to get the season up and running? even a shortened season is better than nothing. i'll be gutted if this season is a non-event.

I think team ownership around the world realized the disasters caused back in 1994 during the season ending MLB lockout and the hockey lockout a couple of years ago. It took awhile for baseball to recover and I still do not believe that hockey is healthy again.

NBA - waaaaaay too much money changes hands for them not to have a season. In the case of hockey there truly wasn't any money by ownership to offer. In Hockey, an incredible move was made by ownership as they even offered the players association to go through the financials. They truly has no money. The NFL is like the NBA and there is too much money NOT to have a season.

mattisek said:

Will Americans ever learn what real football is? Actually it's quite simple because we play it with our feet.

Actually soccer (you guys named it that first by the way) is pretty fun to watch sometimes when people are actually scoring. However, it is hard to cheer on a sport where games are allowed to end in a tie.

Actually soccer (you guys named it that first by the way) is pretty fun to watch sometimes when people are actually scoring. However, it is hard to cheer on a sport where games are allowed to end in a tie.

Well, it was called association football. European countries picked up the English term football (e.g. in France) or came up with translation such as Fussball in German and so on. Soccer derived from association. However it was never really in use in mainland Europe or the UK or really anywhere outside the US since the beginning of the 20th century.

As far as rules are concerned I stongly disagree. A draw is fine (and can actually feel like winning or losing). I personally find it less interesting to have so many breaks like you have in all US sports. I think there is a reason that football (or soccer) is in Top 3 (mostly No. 1) in most countries except the US. It's even getting more popular over there.

And now back to football:D.

Last edited:

Yeah but your balls are round and our balls are shaped like vaginas, so theres that. :D

Nope. Football has been known as football since the formation of The FA on 26 October 1863, I'll give you one guess at what the 'F' stands for :thumb:

I forgot to mention that I also have a soft spot on Colchester United. No high hopes really. But in my past i was an Essex boy...

Huddersfield Town need to get promotion this season. Hopefully as champions of League One, hopefully avoiding the play offs.... Believe (again)!

Dave

Blackburn Rovers fan here. We need to make some signings, we've left it very late but things seem to be picking up. I'm predicting a season of highs and lows which will inevitably lead to a mid-table finish. 12th place.

Who'll be the first manager to go in the premiership? I'm going for either Neil Warnock or our very own Steve Kean.

Well, it was called association football. European countries picked up the English term football (e.g. in France) or came up with translation such as Fussball in German and so on. Soccer derived from association. However it was never really in use in mainland Europe or the UK or really anywhere outside the US since the beginning of the 20th century.

As far as rules are concerned I stongly disagree. A draw is fine (and can actually feel like winning or losing). I personally find it less interesting to have so many breaks like you have in all US sports. I think there is a reason that football (or soccer) is in Top 3 (mostly No. 1) in most countries except the US. It's even getting more popular over there.

And now back to football:D.

Oh, globally it is a widely popular sport. In fact, as far as universal sports where anyone can play, soccer and basketball are perhaps the easiest for anyone to train, be involved and grow up with. Third world countries that do not have running water still play variations of soccer and basketball. I can watch a soccer game and invest some interest into it and watch with fascination. It just feels like such a let down to watch for a few hours and then when asked who won, I am forced to reply... no one... it was a tie. I disagree with the tie part.

Back
Top Bottom