Season 2011/2012 football thread

It just feels like such a let down to watch for a few hours and then when asked who won, I am forced to reply... no one... it was a tie. I disagree with the tie part.

This and it seems wierd that they can just seemingly randomly add minutes to the end of the game without a clear schematic of what penalty is worth how many minutes or whatever. I spent the entirety of the World Cup trying to figure that all out. But it is exciting. I pass Dodger Stadium at least twice a month, maybe if I was driving past Man U Stadium or whatever I'd get more excited about it. Futball is as real to me as a Euro coin. Do they even make those? :p

Last edited:
Well, I see your point, my American friends, but I still disagree:D.

The big strength of football is easy rules and that you basically just need a football. That's why it's so popular.

In general it's also a good thing that the referee has a lot of discretion (applies to added time for instance). As a result you don't have these boring, boring breaks you have in other sports, especially US sports. And as a supporter you can always blame the referee:). Well you may discuss certain rules such as obvious goals being disallowed as you could easily check this. But on the other hand for instance Germans and English alike would have nothing to complain and talk about thinking of the 1966 and 2010 world cups.

And a draw is a draw. Americans seem to be a bit obsessed that there has to be winner everytime. No, that's not life, it usually is not black and white. And don't forget there are winners and losers at the end of the season/tournaments. Unlike in US sports there is relegation for instance. And frankly I see no point that there are always the same teams in a league unless an owner decides to change names and get a team from place A to place B.

I may be wrong as I only spent a couple of months in NY but I got the impression that you support your teams obviously but entertainment is the major factor. Of course there are VIP-lounges in football nowadays, but most people are still very passionate about their team and the game. They come up with their chants and choreography and often disagree with the clubs' official and organised celebrations before a match.

These are only a few reasons why I love football.

Last edited:
Many years ago I watched the 2001 cup final in Las Vegas.
Seven in the morning in a pub just outside town.
Had a great time.I'm not a Liverpool or Arsenal fan.
What Americans I spoke to really didn't have a clue what was going on.But once the beer started flowing they got into the atmosphere.They said they didn't understand the draw thing.I told them that's only in league games not cup games.Well sometimes we have replays(not so many now)That confused them so much more.
It has to be said after four trips to the states over the years.I find them not the sharpest tools in the box.
That is of course just an opinion.It doesn't mean I don't like them.I bit like children really:lbf:

Well, I'm hoping that United will make it 20 titles. Their noisy neighbours will give them a run for their money at times. At times the scousers will look good, but won't go the distance. As for those London clubs. No, may make top four finishes but that would be about it.

Oh and Rangers over Celtic thank you very much.

Many years ago I watched the 2001 cup final in Las Vegas.
Seven in the morning in a pub just outside town.
Had a great time.I'm not a Liverpool or Arsenal fan.
What Americans I spoke to really didn't have a clue what was going on.But once the beer started flowing they got into the atmosphere.They said they didn't understand the draw thing.I told them that's only in league games not cup games.Well sometimes we have replays(not so many now)That confused them so much more.
It has to be said after four trips to the states over the years.I find them not the sharpest tools in the box.
That is of course just an opinion.It doesn't mean I don't like them.I bit like children really:lbf:

Most people in a bar at 7am do not know much. If they did they would not be in a bar at 7am. You had a purpose to be there. They did not. Please do not judge an entire nation by a small population of drinkers and gamblers while in 'Sin City'. lol

Most people in a bar at 7am do not know much. If they did they would not be in a bar at 7am. You had a purpose to be there. They did not. Please do not judge an entire nation by a small population of drinkers and gamblers while in 'Sin City'. lol

Actually I had fun watching football in the US during my time there in 2001. I watched the SFA final in a packed Irish pub midtown NY on a Saturday morning. Obviously as Celtlic played there were loads of Irish immigrants applying for American citizanship with strong Irish accents. However I met loads of Americans who were obviously infected by the football virus and certainly had some knowledge of the beautiful game. Also watched the CL-final over there that year between Valencia and Bayern in a bar downtown. Obviously a lot of Germans there (surprisingly many Schalke-supporters) and a few Spaniards, but I also talked to an American Werder Bremen-supporter. There are many people who have got knowledge about football (soccer) in the US.

However the main problem for US football (soccer) to become even more popular is that Americans want their country to win even more desperatly than in Europe or South America (see my above post). And the US won't reach the semi-finals or even the quarter-finals of the World Cup in the near future.

Well, I'm hoping that United will make it 20 titles. Their noisy neighbours will give them a run for their money at times. At times the scousers will look good, but won't go the distance. As for those London clubs. No, may make top four finishes but that would be about it.

Oh and Rangers over Celtic thank you very much.

If Platini's rules hopefully apply soon, Rangers might have problens even playing in the SPL:).

Meanwhile Aberdeen 0 Celtic 1. Not really a great match, but we've got another win.

Bundesliga: Bayern lost at home to Borussia Mönchengladbach and Leverkusen lost away to EL-failures Mainz. Hertha Berlin (with former Liverpool player Babbel as team manager) pretty poor performance losing at home to Nuremberg. Great performance by Borussia Dortmund. Their style of play reminds me a bit of Barca as they really control the posession of the ball. Watch out for Mario Götze and Japense Kagawa.

Last edited:
United
Chelsea
City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Arsenal

How I reckon the top 6 will look, and I think the gap between us and 2nd will be far greater than 9 points this year.

United
Chelsea
City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Arsenal

How I reckon the top 6 will look, and I think the gap between us and 2nd will be far greater than 9 points this year.

I think Swansea could be the surprise package. Surprised if they get more than Derby's lowest ever points total. Wait till their fans make it to your town, it will be like a visit from the extra-terrestrial version of the Jeremy Kyle show.

You have been warned!

Manure have made some interesting signings but think Boas at Chelsea could be reinvigorated. As long as the owner stops interfering. Unfortunately all achievements will be overrated as Barcelona have taken football to a whole different level from the best the Prem has to offer. And Swansea

I think Swansea could be the surprise package. Surprised if they get more than Derby's lowest ever points total. Wait till their fans make it to your town, it will be like a visit from the extra-terrestrial version of the Jeremy Kyle show.

You have been warned!

Manure have made some interesting signings but think Boas at Chelsea could be reinvigorated. As long as the owner stops interfering. Unfortunately all achievements will be overrated as Barcelona have taken football to a whole different level from the best the Prem has to offer. And Swansea

Agreed, Barca will be very hard to beat. As said I think they will win La Liga miles ahead. On the hand they is always the chance to beat any team in knockout competitions in the latter stage of the CL.

Meanwhile another big league starts this weekend. All matches played except the Tottenham match in the PL.

Last edited:
I will put my house on Barca NOT winning the champions league. Like Pique said, the gap isn't THAT big.

Madrid can go toe-to-toe with them, albeit, they have to play 10 men behind the ball and hope Ronaldo can run 100 yards and score, but they did beat them 1-0 in the Copa del Rey final earlier this year.

And United played too open against them, which was our downfall, but we shouldn't change our style of play for anyone.

I think Newcastle will beat Arsenal later today, which is the start of the end of Wenger (overrated manager, in my opinion)

Back
Top Bottom