Rumor Scott Rodger (Maverick/Quest): Bonfire of Teenagers scheduled for Feb. 23, delayed by featured artist

BFFFE472-6D40-4091-ABB2-5E1A898902D8.jpeg
764E84D2-F0E7-415B-9FB3-DF3D68D90CC9.jpeg

Scott Rodger of Maverick/Quest management took to Twitter responding to claims about BOT’s cancellation. According to Rodger what’s going on behind the scenes is legal trouble with a featured artist (must be Miley?) who was supposed to go uncredited for legal reasons. Morrissey announced their feature on his blog, which led to a delay as they have to scrub the vocals from the album and replace them.

Rodger gives a release date of February 23rd 2023 and no indication that that is off.

“Morrissey’s album was due for release in Feb 23. It will come out but Morrissey himself put out a statement in his blog that the album “featured” another artist who didn’t want to be credited and thus the artist’s label blocked the release. Nothing to do with Capitol.”

“The artist who did backing vocals will be taken off and replaced. That takes time especially as you hit Christmas. When you say fight, sadly it doesn’t work that way. The other label, Columbia, legally blocked it. They’re within their rights to do so.”

Did he talk about her? Someone already noted she hasn't said anything about BOT herself. I think the rules regarding live performance are different than releasing an album, but I'm no expert either.

Legally I'm not sure you could prove it's Miley's vocals he used at Cruel World fest, it might just sound a lot like her. (Which is why it would be okay to do?)

Not a music industry expert by any means, can't pretend to know the logic of the contracts!
Also talked about her at Brighton:

"...my good friend Miley Cyrus."
Hold on to your friends vs There speaks a true friend

Last edited:
I don't think she was under contract to Columbia when she recorded this, and maybe she thought it would be released a lot sooner and whatever situation she was in at the time, it was ok to be a guest on someone's else's record.
That’s interesting. And that would somewhat illuminate this whole opaque episode—save for the fact that you might expect someone who sings of lawyers being ‘liars’ to factor in the legal elephant traps.

That’s interesting. And that would somewhat illuminate this whole opaque episode—save for the fact that you might expect someone who sings of lawyers being ‘liars’ to factor in the legal elephant traps.
I am going by her Wikipedia, which says she was under contract to RCA and released an album in late 2020 named Plastic Hearts. Andrew Watt produced and there were guests on it, from the 80s- Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks. She went under contract with Columbia in early 2021 and I think BOT was finished early to mid 2021? Maybe Columbia was even ok with her being uncredited but when Central announced Miley was featured on it, the legal action started and Columbia blocked the release of BOT. I am willing to bet Morrissey was given some options before the legal action started and he refused.

I don’t get this push to scrap the current BoT for a new recording. That’s not possible or plausible. Watt and co cooked up the sounds for this one. Remove Miley and replace her with Alain (presumably). Let the rest of the album stand and refuse this real censorship of the LP that Morrissey speaks so proudly of. Are we so offended by Watt’s work that we can’t receive this album as it is really is?

Our greatest hope is that we can hear the album that was recorded in 2021 - otherwise we are conceding that this should in fact be a lost album.

I am going by her Wikipedia, which says she was under contract to RCA and released an album in late 2020 named Plastic Hearts. Andrew Watt produced and there were guests on it, from the 80s- Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks. She went under contract with Columbia in early 2021 and I think BOT was finished early to mid 2021? Maybe Columbia was even ok with her being uncredited but when Central announced Miley was featured on it, the legal action started and Columbia blocked the release of BOT. I am willing to bet Morrissey was given some options before the legal action started and he refused.
Yes; why take the easy route when there’s a golden opportunity to have the album to locked in a vault for months, perhaps years.

I think I’m getting with the programme.

I don’t get this push to scrap the current BoT for a new recording. That’s not possible or plausible. Watt and co cooked up the sounds for this one. Remove Miley and replace her with Alain (presumably). Let the rest of the album stand and refuse this real censorship of the LP that Morrissey speaks so proudly of. Are we so offended by Watt’s work that we can’t receive this album as it is really is?

Our greatest hope is that we can hear the album that was recorded in 2021 - otherwise we are conceding that this should in fact be a lost album.
While I certainly prefer unaltered takes of Morrissey’s voice, I think the majority are being babies about Watt and the production. As if Morrissey doesn’t have say on what the final product is? Clearly this was a collaborative effort that Morrissey was happy with. He’s trying something different, so f***ing what. The Smiths were purposely different during their time. Sometimes you swing and crack a home run. Sometimes you miss. But there’s no way the album production is more insufferable than the whining about it.

While I certainly prefer unaltered takes of Morrissey’s voice, I think the majority are being babies about Watt and the production. As if Morrissey doesn’t have say on what the final product is? Clearly this was a collaborative effort that Morrissey was happy with. He’s trying something different, so f***ing what. The Smiths were purposely different during their time. Sometimes you swing and crack a home run. Sometimes you miss. But there’s no way the album production is more insufferable than the whining about it.

Morrissey has every right to work with whatever producer he wants to and to love the results. And the listener has every right to bitch and moan. If you find that "insufferable," don't read the forum.

Yes, the Smiths were deliberately different from the slick glossy pop of their time. And now we have Morrissey working with the producer of Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. Figure it out.

Morrissey has every right to work with whatever producer he wants to and to love the results. And the listener has every right to bitch and moan. If you find that "insufferable," don't read the forum.

Yes, the Smiths were deliberately different from the slick glossy pop of their time. And now we have Morrissey working with the producer of Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. Figure it out.
Yes you can drone on and on about it like a whiny little baby, and I can simply call it what is. So the vocals got some weird flare to them that might I add *nobody wants*, but it’s so minuscule and easy to forget unless you’re looking for a reason to clutch pearls.

Yes you can drone on and on about it like a whiny little baby, and I can simply call it what is. So the vocals got some weird flare to them that might I add *nobody wants*, but it’s so minuscule and easy to forget unless you’re looking for a reason to clutch pearls.
People liked the Smiths and early Moz solo for a lot of different reasons and a lot of those people think Morrissey has changed for the worse, he has become thing thing he despised, churning out sloppy, senseless songs just for the sake of recording and getting that next album out. For instance, now he does not have a label for BOT and it seems he does not have one for the new album either, but he keeps recording having no idea what to do once the product is complete. He is always chasing that elusive next best album, the best album of his life - according to him and he is falling short, his work is suffering. This isn't pearl clutching, it's a legitimate observation, yours might be different. Maybe you love the new songs he is putting out, but that would make me wonder how you ever liked or loved the depth and craftmanship of the Smiths. I am not asking for an explanation, people just like what they like. I would never tell you to stop liking something like you are telling someone to stop complaining about something.

People liked the Smiths and early Moz solo for a lot of different reasons and a lot of those people think Morrissey has changed for the worse, he has become thing thing he despised, churning out sloppy, senseless songs just for the sake of recording and getting that next album out. For instance, now he does not have a label for BOT and it seems he does not have one for the new album either, but he keeps recording having no idea what to do once the product is complete. He is always chasing that elusive next best album, the best album of his life - according to him and he is falling short, his work is suffering. This isn't pearl clutching, it's a legitimate observation, yours might be different. Maybe you love the new songs he is putting out, but that would make me wonder how you ever liked or loved the depth and craftmanship of the Smiths. I am not asking for an explanation, people just like what they like. I would never tell you to stop liking something like you are telling someone to stop complaining about something.
Im not telling anyone anything. I’m simply saying the incessant whining about the production of Rebels is overblown. Yeah the dudes got problems, but sitting here acting like it’s some great mystery how someone can enjoy his new material and old material is the hyperbolic nonsense I speak of.

You didn’t ask for an explanation but I’m gonna give you one anyways and honestly it’s pretty easy to comprehend. I enjoy *him*, his voice, his essence. It never mattered to me if it was Johnny, Alain, Jesse, or some kid on the corner with a banjo playing on his songs. I like hearing him sing, and I’m with you, I don’t want any effects on his voice at all, but it’s not as big of a deal half this forum makes it out to be.

It’s called working. He might be many things but he doesn’t sit around waiting, he writes songs, records them and goes on tour. The fact he still believes in himself and has ambition is to be admired. Surely you aren’t saying he needs to stop this?

He could be one of those established artist that simply tour and churn out the old classics but he doesn’t, he writes, records and hopefully soon he releases that work.

Im not telling anyone anything. I’m simply saying the incessant whining about the production of Rebels is overblown. Yeah the dudes got problems, but sitting here acting like it’s some great mystery how someone can enjoy his new material and old material is the hyperbolic nonsense I speak of.

You didn’t ask for an explanation but I’m gonna give you one anyways and honestly it’s pretty easy to comprehend. I enjoy *him*, his voice, his essence. It never mattered to me if it was Johnny, Alain, Jesse, or some kid on the corner with a banjo playing on his songs. I like hearing him sing, and I’m with you, I don’t want any effects on his voice at all, but it’s not as big of a deal half this forum makes it out to be.
You're the one making the big deal out of it tho, just let people have their opinions. I don't think it's hyperbolic to wonder how some can enjoy his old material but not his new material, it's completely different. I personally don't think it's a huge deal but the people complaining about other posters just expressing their opinions is getting out of hand, we are here to talk about Morrissey, good and bad. You seriously may want to create an account to be able to use ignore, it makes a huge difference when you can just block people out.

It’s called working. He might be many things but he doesn’t sit around waiting, he writes songs, records them and goes on tour. The fact he still believes in himself and has ambition is to be admired. Surely you aren’t saying he needs to stop this?

He could be one of those established artist that simply tour and churn out the old classics but he doesn’t, he writes, records and hopefully soon he releases that work.
Oh, really, 'work' - you don't say? :rolleyes:
There's 'work' and then there's 'busy work', the latter just being a way to keep busy but not producing anything of value. He needs to learn the difference.
If BOT was actually good, a label would have snapped it up quickly without Morrissey's incessant begging, pleading and pouting.
I am not saying he needs to stop, but I think the quality is suffering. Maybe if he just slows down a little. He is one of those very lucky artists who can tour on his back catalog without putting out a new album, so maybe he can just do that sometimes. There are a lot of people like me who would love to hear just the older songs.

You're the one making the big deal out of it tho, just let people have their opinions. I don't think it's hyperbolic to wonder how some can enjoy his old material but not his new material, it's completely different. I personally don't think it's a huge deal but the people complaining about other posters just expressing their opinions is getting out of hand, we are here to talk about Morrissey, good and bad. You seriously may want to create an account to be able to use ignore, it makes a huge difference when you can just block people out.
The difference is that I’ve lent my singular opinion to this one thread and it was simply saying for the most part it’s pearl clutching more than singling out anyone here. The likes of the clutchers have to drag their ass across the carpet about BOT in multiple threads. At the very least it’s preposterous that anyone’s suggesting a complete redo of an album session because some backups gotta be switched out.

The difference is that I’ve lent my singular opinion to this one thread and it was simply saying for the most part it’s pearl clutching more than singling out anyone here. The likes of the clutchers have to drag their ass across the carpet about BOT in multiple threads. At the very least it’s preposterous that anyone’s suggesting a complete redo of an album session because some backups gotta be switched out.
We are here to talk about Morrissey, your opinion of other posters is really irrelevant

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom