Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

imogen11

Does anybody have any information on how this film influenced Morrissey? Are there any direct references in his songs? Does anybody have any quotes relating to it's influence or any of their own theories?

Cheers! :)

I found this reference for Vicar In A Tutu:

"...sent to Borstal when a kid for breaking open gas meters and ripping lead from church roofs..."

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/

In general, that film describes (allegedly) all those things that bothered Morrissey about Manchester, poverty, wish to escape, but inability to do that etc. I wish I could see it :(

I found this reference for Vicar In A Tutu:

"...sent to Borstal when a kid for breaking open gas meters and ripping lead from church roofs..."

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/

In general, that film describes (allegedly) all those things that bothered Morrissey about Manchester, poverty, wish to escape, but inability to do that etc. I wish I could see it :(

Hmm..your link didn't take me to anything relating to Vicar In a Tutu.
??
Thanks for your reply, though, I can't say I see any of Vicar in a Tutu in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. I can see how Morrissey would enjoy Arthur's rebellion & distate for work. I can also understand that he related to the depiction of working class England in the 1960s. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer some deeper insight.

If you click "Original sources of Morrissey's lyrics" and scrowl down to Vicar in a tutu, the quote is there.
Why don't you watch the DVD, read the book and find about it for yourself?

I recorded a programme called "Cast and Crew with..." broadcasted on BBC4 and repeated on BBC2 few years ago, but the video is in the storage.
If I have time to watch it again I'll post it later, but don't count on me.:p

If you click "Original sources of Morrissey's lyrics" and scrowl down to Vicar in a tutu, the quote is there.
Why don't you watch the DVD, read the book and find about it for yourself?

I recorded a programme called "Cast and Crew with..." broadcasted on BBC4 and repeated on BBC2 few years ago, but the video is in the storage.
If I have time to watch it again I'll post it later, but don't count on me.:p

Uh, I have watched it and read it. I was just interested in other's thoughts.
I'll check out the 'original sources of morrissey's lyrics" link - cheers.

The quote "Whatever people say I am thats what I'm not" was from this film, if I remember correctly.

The quote "Whatever people say I am thats what I'm not" was from this film, if I remember correctly.

You are correct, but I prefer the line about blowing the factory to kingdom come.

And who can forget Hylda Bakers "Them was Rotten Days"? In reference to back street abortions. I've seen the film so many times, it's etched forever in my mind (pun intended).

As for Morrissey, he said in the South Bank Show that he liked the fact that Finney's character "Albert" was demonstrativly working class, or something like that, I havent watched it for a long time.

Last edited:
You are correct, but I prefer the line about blowing the factory to kingdom come.

And who can forget Hylda Bakers "Them was Rotten Days"? In reference to back street abortions. I've seen the film so many times, it's etched forever in my mind (pun intended).

As for Morrissey, he said in the South Bank Show that he liked the fact that Finney's character "Albert" was demonstrativly working class, or something like that, I havent watched it for a long time.
I love the film and the language, calling women "Duck" the bit about blowing the factoy up " A dynamite dealer ready to..etc " A fighting pit-prop who likes a pint of beer" HEHE and Nelly Pledge

Albert Finney's performance is magnetic. This film stands up to repeated viewings- like you, Brel, have put this to the test. Never fails me. Hylda Baker is effortlessly REAL, as ever. Along with Dora Bryan, Beryl Reid etc- generation of superb, dare I say, working class actresses. No-one to replace them.

On the South Bank Show- will look at it later but Moz refers to Arthur Seaton and his ilk, as having their 'tails trapped in the door'. Get back to you. Watched Visconti's 'Il Gattopardo' last night and was struck by Burt Lancaster's resemblance to the older, Ringleader-style Morrissey.

If you still need it, here's what Moz said in South Bank Show- 1987. Have edited it to include more pertinent comment-

'There are certain violent expressions....I can really understand that because sometimes, & certainly when you're like Arthur Seaton, from a working class background, you have to be very over expressive & you have to be overtly demonstrative in order to get anywhere & be heard'
After clip of Saturday Night Sunday Morning he adds-
'I became very interested in film history, quite specifically films from the early 1960's- A Taste of Honey, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, films with a common thread...people in the North specifically with their tails trapped in the door..trying to get out, trying to get on, trying to be somebody, trying to be seen..I find that very appealing...a great identification with that because that's really the way you feel in Manchester.'

If you still need it, here's what Moz said in South Bank Show- 1987. Have edited it to include more pertinent comment-

'There are certain violent expressions....I can really understand that because sometimes, & certainly when you're like Arthur Seaton, from a working class background, you have to be very over expressive & you have to be overtly demonstrative in order to get anywhere & be heard'
'I became very interested in film history, quite specifically films from the early 1960's- A Taste of Honey, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, films with a common thread...people in the North specifically with their tails trapped in the door..trying to get out, trying to get on, trying to be somebody, trying to be seen..I find that very appealing...a great identification with that because that's really the way you feel in Manchester.'

I think it was the Telegraph which amazingly gave away Saturday Night Sunday Morning and A Taste of Honey in successive weeks. Fantastic. I think it might have been the same newspaper that gave away Brighton Rock round about the same time. Do you think there was a Morrissey fan on the staff?

Peter

I think it was the Telegraph which amazingly gave away Saturday Night Sunday Morning and A Taste of Honey in successive weeks. Fantastic. I think it might have been the same newspaper that gave away Brighton Rock round about the same time. Do you think there was a Morrissey fan on the staff?

Yes! That's where I got my copies of those films- I burnt the newspaper of course but treasure the DVDs. Of course it was a Moz fan on the staff- I think he appeals to Grumpy Old Tories, disturbingly enough..

I was really hung over this morning! I meant Arthur not Albert. Unforgivable, given that it was my Grandads name as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to to watch the doco and tell us what was said :) That's very kind.
I suspected as much - that he could relate to Arthur's working class life and his desire to escape it, I was just interested to hear what he had said specifically - so, cheers for that, Dougal! :)

Back
Top Bottom