Satirical Article on Moz @ DeadBrain

T

Tweety Ramone

http://www.deadbrain.com/entertainment/article_2004_05_29_3623.php

Happiness Threatens Morrissey Comeback
May 29 2004 by John Hetherington
As he releases his first new album in seven years and prepares to headline Lollapalooza, there is news that threatens to thwart Morrissey's comeback and his reputation.

While Rolling Stone describes the artist's new recording as a "triumph of maladjusted vitality," sources inside the Morrissey camp say that the glum rock superstar is in fact well-adjusted - and happy.

Morrissey rose to fame two decades ago as a member of the Smiths, with such classic odes to depression and isolation as "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and "Never Had No One Ever." That music provided a voice for the disenfranchised, soundtracks for John Hughes films, and in the case of the anathematic "How Soon Is Now?" an incredibly ironic beer commercial.

Yet while Morrissey's new album, You Are the Quarry, contains songs that suggest that his depression continues, like "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores" and "I Have Forgiven Jesus," members of Morrissey's entourage are claiming it's all a charade.

"He's happy and I don't just mean happy in a not-suicidal way," explained one member of Morrissey's entourage who wished to remain anonymous. "He's like Little Morrissey Sunshine."

The source explained that he came forward because he feels "betrayed" by the British icon's happiness. "I came aboard expecting this all to be misery and self-loathing - you know, Depeche Mode without the heroin problems and with nicer clothes, but instead I get some bloke who's sitting around all day watching Disney films."

Indeed, DeadBrain is able to confirm that it was Morrissey's upbeat attitude that forced him to spend nearly a decade in search of a new record contract. Sources at three major labels said they were interested in the artist until they heard demos of his "new sound," described by one as reminiscent of the Partridge Family.

According to Fred Fanberg, an A&R rep at Island Records, "He was singing about playing with puppies in one of the songs. I distinctly remember his rhapsodizing about rubbing his puppy's tail. I'll tell you, anyone who has ever accused Paul McCartney of lacking gravitas has never heard this stuff."

Back
Top Bottom