Sat Dec 16th - Pet Sounds special at HDIF

ianw

Hope you don't mind me posting this in here. Plenty of Smiths and Moz played throughout the night...!!

This Saturday we're having a "Pet Sounds" special at HDIF.

I wanted to do something Christmassy, that didn't involve playing any Christmas songs. For a while, I toyed with doing something around the "Rushmore" soundtrack - either playing all of it, or some highlights - as it's such a wonderful film and an amazing soundtrack.

But the more I looked into it, the more it became clear that the playing the whole soundtrack wouldn't be the best of ideas. "A Summer Song" by Chad And Jeremy is lovely, of course (and I'll definitely be playing it on the 16th), but eight or so minutes of "A Quick One While He's Away" by The Who? Not quite HDIF dancefloor material. Not quite Christmas either.

But then I went to see Brian Wilson play "Pet Sounds" for the last time ever in the UK. And it was all just so perfect, and - in a strange way - all so Christmassy without mentioning Christmas once, that I knew this was the answer. Just play the songs in your head! The introduction to "Wouldn't It Be Nice"! The drifting beauty of "Let's Go Away For A While"! The heartstopping majesty of "God Only Knows"! Even though the gig was on 12th of November, it was just like Christmas.

So, on Saturday the 16th of December, I'll be playing all of "Pet Sounds" at HDIF at the Phoenix. Not in order and not all at once, but, as with the "Boy With The Arab Strap" night we did a few months back, the songs will be dotted throughout the evening.

I'll play "You Still Believe In Me" at 9.15 sharp, so if you want to hear the whole album, please make sure you get there early.

The guest DJ is David Callahan of The Wolfhounds. David was a regular guest DJ in the very early days of HDIF, so it's a real pleasure to welcome him back. He's a superb DJ with a big collection of cool indiepop gems, so I'm looking forward to hearing what he's going to play.

Hope to see you there!
Ian x

---------

How Does It Feel To Be Loved?
Saturday December 16th
The Phoenix, 37 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PP, three minutes walk from Oxford Circus tube station, 9pm-3am, £4 members, £6 non members. Membership is free from http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk
Guest DJ: David Callahan (The Wolfhounds)

We play:
The Smiths * The Supremes * The Go-Betweens * Dusty Springfield * Belle & Sebastian * Love * Tammi Terrell * Aztec Camera * The Ronettes * Orange Juice * Beach Boys * The Temptations * Velvet Underground * Felt * The Shangri-Las * Primal Scream * Otis Redding * The Field Mice * Dexys Midnight Runners * Camera Obscura * The Four Tops * Melba Moore

Back
Top Bottom