Sarah Hagan Backstage: "All Access with Brendan Buckley" - due to record Morrissey album in France & more dates 2023 (November 29, 2022)

Screenshot_20221129-225830.png

Several Morrissey mentions.
Then towards the end, he mentions flying to France in January, 2023 to record an album with Morrissey (possibly 2 months) & added (re: tour): "bunch of dates he wants adding for 2023" (this part starts approx at 53:21).

Regards,
FWD.

I can't be bothered to listen, what does he say about dates?
Good old M. He loves his France does M.
Its kinda funny they are planning next years tour when five of dates have been pushed I am happy for him. He is doing the best thing. just getting on with it
Penzance 25th April
Paignton 26th
Minehead Shine On Festival 28th
Weston - Super - Mare 30th

I wouldn't be surprised if has a two album contract deal with capitol.
Yah I was wondering: did Moz have to pay for the recording of Bonfire himself and will he have to pay for the next album too in January? Normally a record label would front the £$€ but in this case Moz is between labels, or was when he recorded Bonfire, as far as I know.

Yah I was wondering: did Moz have to pay for the recording of Bonfire himself and will he have to pay for the next album too in January? Normally a record label would front the £$€ but in this case Moz is between labels, or was when he recorded Bonfire, as far as I know.
When you sign a record contract, the band would receive an advance which would cover costs of recording an album which is recovered (hopefully) through album sales. The artist receives royalties from the album once the sum advanced has been recuperated.
In this case either Morrissey can present an invoice to the record label to "buy" the tapes at the amount it cost or can negotiate a higher percentage of royalties for the album and receive royalties immediately that would hopefully recuperate the initial recording costs.

I'm not sure Morrissey would want to sell the masters. The usual practice when it comes to this sort of self-financed recording, is that the artist keeps possession of the masters but licenses the recording to the record company for X number of years. That way, after a certain amount of time passes, the rights revert to the artist and they can take the masters to another label to try and get a re-release.

Thank-you, we'll add this to the pile of instruments Boz knows

Well, in fairness, it's already in the pile. In addition to Oboe Concerto, Boz played clarinet on Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning, Whatever Happens I Love You, Wide To Receive and Sorrow Will Come In The End. Maybe more, but those are right off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Another lovely interview. The only fleetingly nervous moment was the mention of diversity among drummers in New Jersey...

Stellar bunch of fellows in Moz' band. Wishing all a smooth celebratory return to form this evening, and joyous remaining dates to conclude this bumpy tour.

While I get that Boz and Matt Walker are fan favorites, this current line up is possibly M’s best band ever in terms of skill and playability. Everything since Alain/Brendan has sounded amazing live. Hate me all you want for this last part but Boz has been phoning it in live for a while now. It must be nice for M to have Alain’s enthusiasm.

A related question... is BOT the first time Morrissey recorded an album without first having a record deal? I know in the past he's debuted new material live without having a contract... but I thought the album wasn't recorded until he had a contract. YATQ era would be an example.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it might be indeed. Alain Whyte met with J.C. at Sunset Sound this past summer. If that meeting was preparation for the upcoming recording, we can probably expect more beeps and bloops and overall excess.

Suede recently released their best post-Bernard Butler record by stripping down the production and getting back to the basics. Morrissey could take a hint from that, but I doubt he will.
Alan moulder was involved in the new suede album , and produced the previous one. I believe he is mentioned in the recording credits for "rebels.." too . the suede album is bloody brilliant, my album of 22

Alan moulder was involved in the new suede album , and produced the previous one. I believe he is mentioned in the recording credits for "rebels.." too . the suede album is bloody brilliant, my album of 22
Good point. Ed Buller produced it but Moulder mixed it. Definitely my album of 2022. Moz needs to duet with Brett but Brett wouldn't do it I'd say.

I'm not sure Morrissey would want to sell the masters. The usual practice when it comes to this sort of self-financed recording, is that the artist keeps possession of the masters but licenses the recording to the record company for X number of years. That way, after a certain amount of time passes, the rights revert to the artist and they can take the masters to another label to try and get a re-release.
Speaking of rereleases.... I assume nobody knows anything about the vinyl reissues of Quarry, Ringleader, Southpaw, Maladjusted?

That all depends on whether he negotiated a multi-album deal with Capitol - and remember, he only licensed them the Bonfire recordings he already owned - plus that the relationship between Moz and label doesn't collapse in the interim. I hope it comes out that quickly, but having been a Morrissey fan for a long time, I would not be surprised at another delay of several months/years as Moz shops around for a new deal.
Morrissey said that much in his You Tube interview, probably 2 or 3 years before it comes out. BOT was recorded in early 2021 and it will be released early 2023. I don’t take it for granted that Morrissey already has a record deal for this soon to be recored lp.
The move to France does sound like a return to Chiccarelli, which - after hearing the sonic mess of Rebels, I'm totally fine with.
Definitely the same studio in France and I doubt Robert Wattts would travel to France without his regular studio mates. But how about Boz producing it for a change?

Well, in fairness, it's already in the pile. In addition to Oboe Concerto, Boz played clarinet on Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning, Whatever Happens I Love You, Wide To Receive and Sorrow Will Come In The End. Maybe more, but those are right off the top of my head.
Lets not forget Paris as a song that features Boz on clarinet.
Whatever Happens I Love You also features Boz on saxophone (in addition to clarinet). Boz is an asset in the studio. I still like to think that he may contribute in some way to the next album.

I think boz is a massive loss :(

he's a multi-instrumentalist and likes to experiment, his oboe playing on - I forget the album - was pretty.

It's also good to have fresh faces too though!
Yeah I can see that for sure. Personally Dog Chain is my favourite album of Morrissey's lately and Boz had no writing credits on it at all so I don't miss him and welcome new blood even if it's in th shape of old blood Alain Whyte wise ;)

Hiya. Always liked that bit in Introducing Morrissey where Boz goes nuts on the clarinet during Whatever Happens...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom