Santa Ana stand-off details - PAWS and We Are Scientists respond

UPDATE 5:00PM:

Link / excerpt posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey Denies Allegations That He Demanded Cancellation of Show Taking Place at Same Time as His in Nearby Venue - Pitchfork

Update: A representative for Morrissey says: "Morrissey had nothing to do with this. As long as there was no sound bleed, Morrissey was completely fine with another show going on inside the same complex."

Read this fully. Morrissey's tour manager acting like an arsehole, according to the band, and a six-figure sum deposited with Moz, according to the promoter. It's all a little odd.

Morrissey and PAWS Shows Go on Despite Alleged Cancellation Threats - Spin
But Scottish band claims further drama involving the Smiths singer's camp

Excerpt:

According to PAWS, as news of the earlier Facebook post spread, the promoter for Morrisey's show called saying that Morrissey might cancel and this would horrible for the venue. So the band took yesterday's post down. They somehow ended up getting their set rescheduled to just after Moz's set, rather than being canceled altogether. But they say Morrissey's promoter then called again, now insisting PAWS apologize, which the band considered "absurd."

Finally, PAWS claim the Smiths icon's tour manager "confronted" the band's Phillip Taylor and Josh Swinney in the dressing room, "ten minutes" before they were to go on stage. He allegedly screamed at them about all the attention being given to this story. Then PAWS went out and "did our best to kill it for the 30 mins we had in the lights."

Link and excerpts posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey called 'ego maniac' after spat with We Are Scientists and PAWS - The Independent

...it quotes a few tweets from "We Are Scientists" who seem as unimpressed with Team Morrissey as PAWS:

Excerpt:

As of yet, there has been no response statement from Morrissey or his team. But We Are Scientists’ Chris posted a follow-up message suggesting that the eventual solution – moving their show a little later – was fair.

“Moz fans wouldn’t have been able to hear a lick of what they’d paid to see,” he said. “Both bands on our bill play at nuclear volume and it goes right through walls.

“Putting on the two shows simultaneously would be like screening a mumblecore film and a Michael Bay movie in theatres divided by a cotton bed sheet.”

However, We Are Scientists’ tweets after watching Morrissey’s set seemed to suggest that “The Great Escape” singers are still seething.

"The @itsmorrissey show was the laziest, most milquetoast piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of suffering through ten minutes of."

Spent the first 20 minutes of @itsmorrissey set wondering how they got a luau pig into a TopShop blazer. Then I realized IT WAS MORRISSEY!

Turns out the reason @itsmorrissey doesn't want competing noise is that it might clue people into what singing in tune sounds like."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just what the world needed...more entitled-millennial-hipster-douche-groups. f*** PAWS and We Are Scientists. The only thing notable about either of these bands is that their testicles managed to produce enough testosterone to allow them to grow facial hair.

and morrisseys response is "we are scientists" who are they : ) as for paws,me scratching my balls makes a better sound.
and this is why I hate twitter and facebook,a stage for the lonely.

and morrisseys response is "we are scientists" who are they : )

Perhaps you don't realise that Morrissey's on both these social media platforms? As he's the loneliest human on the loneliest planet, that makes sense: that he'd have a presence on 'a stage for the lonely'.

and morrisseys response is "we are scientists" who are they : ) as for paws,me scratching my balls makes a better sound.

You lot are as ignorant as morrissey, We Are Scentists have been around for ages.
They do good business. I would say they produce much better music than morrissey has in the last 10 Years.
Morrissey is hardly on the pulse of trends anyway If a band isn't influenced by him he has no interest. WAS are alot better than Doll and The Kicks, and Kristeen Young. For a start

So what happened to the decent WAS statement saying everybody was concerned with the noise and so arranged a schedule so that everybody has happy and could play ? ( as indeed happened , the gigs went ahead). I guess when they realized how great the publicity stunt worked for paws, decided to join the bandwagon , insulting morrissey for media exposure and publicity.

Really classy guys. Keep up the good work and enjoy the 15 min of fame , kindly provided by Morrissey.

Little men with little bands with little Twitter accounts making little digital parps.
This "spat" with Morrissey is the most press you will ever receive in your musical careers. Savour it.

I think you will find its actually someone doing it for him,silly brummie boy

Little men with little bands with little Twitter accounts making little digital parps.
This "spat" with Morrissey is the most press you will ever receive in your musical careers. Savour it.

They are playing Morrissey at his own game. Is it wrong for morrissey to use various countries for his own gain? Is it wrong for Morrissey to ask for elton johns head for his own gain?
Morrissey fans are shit anyway these days. The thing is if morrissey said he liked them, you lot would buy all their record. f***tards

I think you will find its actually someone doing it for him,silly brummie boy

Well @itsmorrissey hasn't been updated since 2009, so he ought to find out who's 'doing it for him' and see if they can remember the account password. Now, to the serious issues at hand:

After the tragic denouement of recent tours, you can be sure that Morrissey will be on his best behaviour to remain a bookable commodity on the capitalist world music tour circus, knowing that he is 'on probation'. He won't allow any diva-esque behaviour from any upstart 'tour manager' going all mental with a couple of unknown bands. I bet he will be calling everyone into his office in his hotel suite this evening and reading them the riot act. He will want to know why they booked him into a venue which also was staging lesser mortals and he will DEFINITELY want to know whether meat was served to the deluded 'fans' of these other bands, the 'crass consumers' who wasted their entertainment dollars instead of paying to watch him perform.

These young bands are surely confused, it was probably an apology offered to them, rather than one demanded from them for upsetting Morrissey's pre-gig rituals. I am also sure that once he has established the facts he will apologise to these young performers for any upset his disturbed tour management caused. Once he's done that, he can relax and prepare for his BIG GIG tomorrow with Sir Tom Jones, knowing that other promoters won't think he's a hissy-fit diva who would risk pulling a show just because his booking agents were too thick to research a venue before signing a contract and only realised it was a multi-room performance space on the night. It's not as if he has form for making mischief for publicity purposes so he will nip this in the bud now that it has turned up in The Independent as a 'serious' news story:

Morrissey called 'ego maniac' after spat with We Are Scientists and PAWS

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-with-we-are-scientists-and-paws-9344399.html

Everybody light an expensive scented candle tonight to send him calming vibes. And hope that the 'rider' for PAWS and We Are Scientists doesn't mischievously surface showing that they had 'hot dogs' or 'burgers' provided for them at the Santa Ana Observatory. Morrissey is focussed on bringing his 'startling' new songs to a world audience, it's just wrong that he might be distracted by all this....kerfuffle!

I have no doubt in my mind that Morrissey was behind all this nonsense. And now he looks like a jackass. Once again.

Oh well.

All this AND David getting booted out of the queue and refused entry. Petty.

P.

He tried to attend? Perhaps he should have stuck to his pledge of three years ago: "Now I know for certain I am not welcome to shows I won't plan on attending any future dates."

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...estion?p=1986659206&viewfull=1#post1986659206

You like to tell certain people that they're "not welcome" on this site. You ban them. Morrissey does the same? Whine, whine, whine.

Yes, it's true, security politely denied me entry and the tour manager confirmed the ban is in effect. I've made several changes to the site since then and thought it had blown over so have been going to shows, if anything so I can do my job here.

It's possible flames got re-ignited with the mixed response to the new songs and publicity for the PAWS story.

Anyway, from now on it's 'catch me if you can' :lbf:

Is this true ? Can we have some more detailed account please.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

He tried to attend? Perhaps he should have stuck to his pledge of three years ago: "Now I know for certain I am not welcome to shows I won't plan on attending any future dates."

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...estion?p=1986659206&viewfull=1#post1986659206

You like to tell certain people that they're "not welcome" on this site. You ban them. Morrissey does the same? Whine, whine, whine.

Yeah.. I mean heaven forfend anyone should say something and later recant it, eh?

"I’ve always loved reggae. In 1984, I said jokingly to a British music newspaper that "reggae is vile." They took me seriously, and this statement is still out there today."

P.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom