Santa Ana stand-off details - PAWS and We Are Scientists respond

UPDATE 5:00PM:

Link / excerpt posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey Denies Allegations That He Demanded Cancellation of Show Taking Place at Same Time as His in Nearby Venue - Pitchfork

Update: A representative for Morrissey says: "Morrissey had nothing to do with this. As long as there was no sound bleed, Morrissey was completely fine with another show going on inside the same complex."

Read this fully. Morrissey's tour manager acting like an arsehole, according to the band, and a six-figure sum deposited with Moz, according to the promoter. It's all a little odd.

Morrissey and PAWS Shows Go on Despite Alleged Cancellation Threats - Spin
But Scottish band claims further drama involving the Smiths singer's camp

Excerpt:

According to PAWS, as news of the earlier Facebook post spread, the promoter for Morrisey's show called saying that Morrissey might cancel and this would horrible for the venue. So the band took yesterday's post down. They somehow ended up getting their set rescheduled to just after Moz's set, rather than being canceled altogether. But they say Morrissey's promoter then called again, now insisting PAWS apologize, which the band considered "absurd."

Finally, PAWS claim the Smiths icon's tour manager "confronted" the band's Phillip Taylor and Josh Swinney in the dressing room, "ten minutes" before they were to go on stage. He allegedly screamed at them about all the attention being given to this story. Then PAWS went out and "did our best to kill it for the 30 mins we had in the lights."

Link and excerpts posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey called 'ego maniac' after spat with We Are Scientists and PAWS - The Independent

...it quotes a few tweets from "We Are Scientists" who seem as unimpressed with Team Morrissey as PAWS:

Excerpt:

As of yet, there has been no response statement from Morrissey or his team. But We Are Scientists’ Chris posted a follow-up message suggesting that the eventual solution – moving their show a little later – was fair.

“Moz fans wouldn’t have been able to hear a lick of what they’d paid to see,” he said. “Both bands on our bill play at nuclear volume and it goes right through walls.

“Putting on the two shows simultaneously would be like screening a mumblecore film and a Michael Bay movie in theatres divided by a cotton bed sheet.”

However, We Are Scientists’ tweets after watching Morrissey’s set seemed to suggest that “The Great Escape” singers are still seething.

"The @itsmorrissey show was the laziest, most milquetoast piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of suffering through ten minutes of."

Spent the first 20 minutes of @itsmorrissey set wondering how they got a luau pig into a TopShop blazer. Then I realized IT WAS MORRISSEY!

Turns out the reason @itsmorrissey doesn't want competing noise is that it might clue people into what singing in tune sounds like."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I mistakenly said that The Smiths stole it but it's actually Morrissey and Rourke. It's funny because someone was saying in another thread that the songs Morrissey wrote with Rourke are pretty good and they are but I'll bet the other one is stolen, too. Even the concept of the lyrics is just changed a bit. I still like both songs, but it's pretty blatant. Amazing Rourke got credit for the music.

Yes, I Am Blind is apparently based on Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O'Sullivan. It's not quite so blatant as the Cookies but you can hear the similarity.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom