Santa Ana stand-off details - PAWS and We Are Scientists respond

UPDATE 5:00PM:

Link / excerpt posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey Denies Allegations That He Demanded Cancellation of Show Taking Place at Same Time as His in Nearby Venue - Pitchfork

Update: A representative for Morrissey says: "Morrissey had nothing to do with this. As long as there was no sound bleed, Morrissey was completely fine with another show going on inside the same complex."

Read this fully. Morrissey's tour manager acting like an arsehole, according to the band, and a six-figure sum deposited with Moz, according to the promoter. It's all a little odd.

Morrissey and PAWS Shows Go on Despite Alleged Cancellation Threats - Spin
But Scottish band claims further drama involving the Smiths singer's camp

Excerpt:

According to PAWS, as news of the earlier Facebook post spread, the promoter for Morrisey's show called saying that Morrissey might cancel and this would horrible for the venue. So the band took yesterday's post down. They somehow ended up getting their set rescheduled to just after Moz's set, rather than being canceled altogether. But they say Morrissey's promoter then called again, now insisting PAWS apologize, which the band considered "absurd."

Finally, PAWS claim the Smiths icon's tour manager "confronted" the band's Phillip Taylor and Josh Swinney in the dressing room, "ten minutes" before they were to go on stage. He allegedly screamed at them about all the attention being given to this story. Then PAWS went out and "did our best to kill it for the 30 mins we had in the lights."

Link and excerpts posted by BrummieBoy:

Morrissey called 'ego maniac' after spat with We Are Scientists and PAWS - The Independent

...it quotes a few tweets from "We Are Scientists" who seem as unimpressed with Team Morrissey as PAWS:

Excerpt:

As of yet, there has been no response statement from Morrissey or his team. But We Are Scientists’ Chris posted a follow-up message suggesting that the eventual solution – moving their show a little later – was fair.

“Moz fans wouldn’t have been able to hear a lick of what they’d paid to see,” he said. “Both bands on our bill play at nuclear volume and it goes right through walls.

“Putting on the two shows simultaneously would be like screening a mumblecore film and a Michael Bay movie in theatres divided by a cotton bed sheet.”

However, We Are Scientists’ tweets after watching Morrissey’s set seemed to suggest that “The Great Escape” singers are still seething.

"The @itsmorrissey show was the laziest, most milquetoast piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of suffering through ten minutes of."

Spent the first 20 minutes of @itsmorrissey set wondering how they got a luau pig into a TopShop blazer. Then I realized IT WAS MORRISSEY!

Turns out the reason @itsmorrissey doesn't want competing noise is that it might clue people into what singing in tune sounds like."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Skinny, is this true? Was David T. really removed from the Santa Ana line going into the venue.

David T., can you confirm?

It's possible flames got re-ignited with the mixed response to the new songs and publicity for the PAWS story.

I should think that incidents such as people who work for your site mocking his mother's illness, or their also mocking the suicide of Margaret Dale, would be a much, much, much, much more likely explanation of this sort, if one were needed.

But their simply sticking to their original pledge to keep you out is more likely. Spin, though. It's what you do. And it's what you tried do sell him. He wasn't buying, remember?

I bear more grudges indeed…

f***, I have no words…

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah.. I mean heaven forfend anyone should say something and later recant it, eh?

"I’ve always loved reggae. In 1984, I said jokingly to a British music newspaper that "reggae is vile." They took me seriously, and this statement is still out there today."

P.

"Reggae is vile" isn't a pledge. "I will stop trying to attend the concerts of the celebrity who regards me as his stalker/extorter" is.

Re: I bear more grudges indeed…

f***, I have no words…

- - - Updated - - -

"Reggae is vile" isn't a pledge. "I will stop trying to attend the concerts of the celebrity who regards me as his stalker/extorter" is.

That's not what I said, I talked about recanting statements previously stated.

P.

Could be, but that's speculation also. As I mentioned changes have been made in the last few years but whatever the issue is is stlll there.

I should think that incidents such as people who work for your site mocking his mother's illness, or their also mocking the suicide of Margaret Dale, would be a much, much, much, much more likely explanation of this sort, if one were needed.

But their simply sticking to their original pledge to keep you out is more likely. Spin, though. It's what you do. And it's what you tried do sell him. He wasn't buying, remember?

Wtf are you on about?

Who works for this site?

NO one who "works" for this site mocked his mothers illness nor Margaret Dales suicide. End of.

Could be, but that's speculation also. As I mentioned changes have been made in the last few years but whatever the issue is is stlll there.

What changes?

My impression is that the changes were:

1. You made full-blown trolls and stalkers part of the team that runs the site.

2. The Pigsty is now the entire site.

You seem to be alluding to something more or less the opposite of this?

Re: I bear more grudges indeed…

f***, I have no words…

- - - Updated - - -

Um, I didn't write the updated bit P!

David, just saw your response above. Thank you. Does the tour manager reimburse you on the spot? How in the hell do they pick you out of thousands of fans? Was the tour manager sheepish about carrying out the boss's orders (as most would be) or was the tour manager forceful about it?

Ugh, every time I hear another Morrissey story like this, it breaks my heart.

If Morrissey doesn't forgive and forget the owner of the top Moz/Smiths website on the internet (and let's face it, carried Morrissey through the lean years--1998 through 2004), you can bet your sweet bippy there will never be a true Smiths reunion with all four members).

Between the stage invasion; the embarrassing and petty situation between PAWS and WAS; the fan backlash that kicking David T. out of last night's concert will stir; and let's face it, a sub-par LP (from what we can tell by the 3 new songs we've heard), I'm predicting there will be more than a few cancelled shows this leg of the tour.

We all know a Morrissey that feels backed into a corner is a retreating Morrissey.

Last edited:
In all seriousness David, I don't know how you do it. If I were in your shoes, I'd delete Solo and be done. I know it's easier said than done, but I'd be heartbroken.

I'm sorry this happened. I too, thought things changed and the ban would be lifted by now…

You know it's not true? How? And if you recall, the 'reveal' did not come on this site.

P.

No - but this site publicised the info as a new story!?!?! And was probably more of a conduit for the story than where it initially appeared.

Nobody can really absolve themselves of culpability for posting such dubious information

No - but this site publicised the info as a new story!?!?! And was probably more of a conduit for the story than where it initially appeared.

Nobody can really absolve themselves of culpability for posting such dubious information

Well, I'd be interested in knowing the veracity or otherwise. If Thewlis knows for sure, maybe they could share the source of the good news. I'd sure like to know.

P.

I hate to admit it, but, Morrissey's behavior breaks my heart. These tantrums aren't are good start or omen IMO.

It's debatable, I'm not saying I agree with it just noting it so the source can be debunked as I believe it was.

Last edited:
This is very disappointing. He sings about police with their stun guns then acts like the same police and doesn't see it.

The security happened to spot me, and he showed me a picture he had on his cell phone. I guess some things don't change. Security were polite about it and actually did try to get a refund but I have to go through Ticketweb. They did seem a bit sheepish and reminded me how nice they were and not to 'blog' about it.

David, just saw your response above. Thank you. Does the tour manager reimburse you on the spot? How in the hell do they pick you out of thousands of fans? Was the tour manager sheepish about carrying out the boss's orders (as most would be) or was the tour manager forceful about it?

Ugh, every time I hear another Morrissey story like this, it breaks my heart.

If Morrissey doesn't forgive and forget the owner of the top Moz/Smiths website on the internet (and let's face it, carried Morrissey through the lean years--1998 through 2004), you can bet your sweet bippy there will never be a true Smiths reunion with all four members).

Between the stage invasion; the embarrassing and petty situation between PAWS and WAS; the fan backlash that kicking David T. out of last night's concert will stir; and let's face it, a sub-par LP (from what we can tell by the 3 new songs we've heard), I'm predicting there will be more than a few cancelled shows this leg of the tour.

We all know a Morrissey that feels backed into a corner is a retreating Morrissey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom