San Luis Obispo, CA - Fremont Theater (May 12, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Billy Budd / Disappointed / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Never Had No One Ever / Satan Rejected My Soul (aborted) / Knockabout World / I Am Veronica / How Soon Is Now? / The Loop / Little Man, What Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Suedehead / Have-A-Go Merchant / Half A Person / Irish Blood, English Heart / First Of The Gang To Die / Jack The Ripper // Let Me Kiss You / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of setlist.fm

Last edited:
Nay. There is a conflict, because in the Christian order, the Lord God, who smelled a "sweet savor" in the smoke of the Hebrew animal sacrifices wafting up to heaven (Exodus XXIX.18), gave the fleshmeat of animals over to humans, not caring for the fright of the creatures:

And that is just the Old Testament. In the New, there are no restrictions on fleshmeats at all. Pigs are added to the Christian conveyor belt into the abattoir as well:

And Morrissey, as one who would forbid the eating of meat, would have to be considered a heretic counseled by demons, according to the Christian worldview:

Being an ethical vegetarian, he would be a very bad Catholic indeed. I suspect the crucifix is merely an homage to the enduring and adoring Mexican portion of his audience, whose own Catholicism is völkisch and aesthetic, not doctrinal.
Indeed.

An entirely confected aesthetic, fake Faith as a tawdry bauble, an insipid yet histrionic appropriation of the baseline iconography that's a vulgar pastiche, redolent of the worst excesses of basic-bitch consumerist 'Cafeteria Catholicism'.

A ludicrous juxtaposition to the Ouija Board cod-Occultism referencing of his bland teenage years.

I've stated before that all he managed to conjure was 3rd rate C-list demi-semi milquetoast 'demons' who promised him global Fame to lure him into his endless slog tours of nowhere in particular.

I'd lock him in a padded cell with 'Fear Innoculum' blasting his ears for a suitably purgatorial period of penance.

BrummieBoy

I've stated before that all he managed to conjure was 3rd rate C-list demi-semi milquetoast 'demons' who promised him global Fame to lure him into his endless slog tours of nowhere in particular.

That's an interesting take. As the saying goes, "the devil has all the best tunes." But if "3rd rate C-list demi-semi- milquetoast demons" are behind the brilliance of the Smiths, then what kind of talent must higher-rate demons have? No, I think Morrissey's genius is too rare to be anyone's but his own.

You're misunderstanding my perspective.
I said in my post that I don’t know your perspective.
It's not a comparison, it's a reconciliation. It's not about better or worse,
Call it what you want, but your post was full of comparisons. You made comparisons between what you felt was right and now wrong. I’m not stopping you from doing so.
it's simply about bearing witness to an inevitability and making peace with it.
very good.
One of the few things Morrissey pointedly said last night between songs was "the past is a country."

And how is one to interpret that? What do you mean by ‘pointedly’? Maybe in context of what songs it was said between? Guesses at best.

That's an interesting take. As the saying goes, "the devil has all the best tunes." But if "3rd rate C-list demi-semi- milquetoast demons" are behind the brilliance of the Smiths, then what kind of talent must higher-rate demons have? No, I think Morrissey's genius is too rare to be anyone's but his own.
TOOL 🔧

Maynard James Keenan's military training and disciplined work ethic underpin the success of Tool. But he's also Etheric Realms upper echelons skilled as an Occult Shaman...The Smiths were on the cusp of something...but Morrissey's trolly-dolly troll Diva antics means he blew it...then blamed 'the Lawnmower Parts'...an utterly absurd fake...

TOOL 🔧

Maynard James Keenan's military training and disciplined work ethic underpin the success of Tool. But he's also Etheric Realms upper echelons skilled as an Occult Shaman...The Smiths were on the cusp of something...but Morrissey's trolly-dolly troll Diva antics means he blew it...then blamed 'the Lawnmower Parts'...an utterly absurd fake...

Well, I think the Smiths have it all over the likes of Tool, so I can't accept your theory, but I guess there's no accounting for taste.

No Sir. He's the California Son. Shelagh Delaney, kitchen sink, Albert Finney, and gray Manchester were a lifetime ago. The last thirty years have been black bean tacos and palm trees and foxy sun-blest Chicana groupies all the way for el Morrissey, the idol of Mexicali.
I expect she was joking

He looks fantastic, and what a great setlist.
"Disappointed" and "Billy Budd", wow.
He really does he was In danger of looking like Robbie Williams dad. Not facially obv but body shape etc

No chance of that here.
It's a shame he didn't look like this sooner..like 15 years

Genuine thanks again to those who contributed to this thread that brought us ‘there’ to the show into our homes. Special shout outs to FWD, Redacted, Mozzer1980, and Ket for your efforts for our behalf.

Be well and safe all..

Didn’t he do this for the Ringleader tour? I remember seeing him in small theatres in Dunoon and (I think) Aberdeen and they were great.
No-one stole my merch there, either.
He did but the setlists were very ROTT heavy. Which is an album I certainly liked at the time but rarely listen to now.

The thing with the kid made me think about the smiling baby pictured on the Year of Refusal album. How is he doing now?

I've watched that clip of Morrissey with the boy, singing "How Soon Is Now?" too many times already and it's almost too much.

The emotions on Morrissey's face as he sings "so you go and you stand on your own / and you leave on your own / and you go home / and you cry and you want to die" - there's just a whole life's worth of sadness and love and torment right there. It's amazing.

Atheists are hateful, it's obviously a bitter existence when you have nothing to believe in. Imagine having to say 'its not real' over and over to anyone who will listen, or mock someone else's faith so you can feel better about your own wretched life.
Morrissey is Catholic, how he practices is between him and God.
Way to generalise. Plenty of Atheists like yours truly are quite happy for others to have their own beliefs without judging them. Seems like you're doing exactly what you profess to hate about them. What's it to you if someone wants to believe in as you refer to it as, 'nothing'?
I believe in plenty of things, but 'nothing' ain't one of 'em.

Last edited:
Way to generalise. Plenty of Atheists like yours truly are quite happy for others to have their own beliefs without judging them. Seems like you're doing exactly what you profess to hate about them. What's it to you if someone wants to believe in as you refer to it, 'nothing'?

It's also rather ironic that Rejected spouts this crap, yet is so bitter towards Johnny Marr and regularly writes nasty bitter posts about another member of the site.

Last edited:
Way to generalise. Plenty of Atheists like yours truly are quite happy for others to have their own beliefs without judging them. Seems like you're doing exactly what you profess to hate about them. What's it to you if someone wants to believe in as you refer to it, 'nothing'?
Well, you'd certainly be a first.
Edit - @marred I would like to apologize to you, I was really tired when I answered this last night and should have apologized then - I am sorry for a generalization that does not apply to you.

Last edited:
That's like something Reel Fountain would have said.

No - we've always had a broad interpretation of the faith. That's why Protestants are so uptight.
I do, personally, associate absolutism with Protestants rather than Catholics. I actually thought that was Luther’s entire point, and the justification for the divide?

I do, personally, associate absolutism with Protestants rather than Catholics. I actually thought that was Luther’s entire point, and the justification for the divide?

Yeah - Martin Luther thought Rome was too lax - too many Saints, too many blessings etc etc... I don't think he meant to actually leave, but it escalated.

John Calvin was even more austere than Luther.

Henry VIII just wanted to get his leg over - but needed the Calvinists to fight the Catholics - which is why the Church of England is split into High Church (very Catholic) and Low Church (nearer to Presbyterianism).

Morrissey has forgiven jesus, but will god ever
forgive Morrissey for his so-called ‘sins’?

It won't.

How do you view then, say, the Albigensian Crusade? Your so-called “broad interpretation” of the faith was insufficient, in the thirteenth century, to contain the vegetarian Cathar Christians under its tent. The massacre at Beziers appears rather “uptight” a response if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom