Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Upcoming Morrissey Interview (Premieres November 28, 2022, 5:00 AM GMT)

UPDATE 9:26PM PT:
Malarkey posted the updated link:

Description:

Premieres Nov 27/28, 2022
In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

UPDATE 8:11PM PT:
Video placeholder has been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, as Sam is a relative, this video might have been presented ... as ''a discussion'' as well. It should have been cooler and would have shut the criticisms.
He's beyond anything anyway. I doubt Frank Sinatra had bothered himself to give an interview after entering in his 60s.

Frank was interviewed by Larry King when he was in his 70's

why put himself in a position to be interviewed by the likes of The Guardian, I don't see Joe Biden sitting down for an interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson anytime soon either....

My thoughts exactly. Someone on here put it perfectly when they said Morrissey has finally gotten to where he was headed all along: his Sunset Boulevard phase. I find myself, no matter how bizarre, embarrassing, and pathetic things get with Morrissey (as they’ve certainly gotten), nevertheless fascinated—and in some way, impressed. Bring on the interview with the Dodwell sycophant.
Very apt description. Never thought of it that way, but I can see it.

None of this would matter if Moz could be content with the consequences of that comfort zone. Dozens of artists at his career stage are comfortable with their core audience, don't really care if they win new fans / get to no.1 and they do just fine. Moz is no fool - listen to the lyrics, he knows he's surrounded by people riding the gravy train, he's not deluded about people like Dodwell. But he still wants the world, so he has to try somehow, and that's where the yes-men come in.
I agree.
A twat I used to know said "He's a Mark E Smith soul who wants David Bowie fame". I really do think that sums up M best. Even if the guy who said it, is a wanker he and his American wife. (he's as bad as M, freak)
Like you say lots get to the stage M is at, they have a loyal fan base and they do their own thing.
They have their fans, they pick up the odd new ones and they bang out music. That's fine. Nowt f***ing wrong with that. I wish M was more like that.
I hate that I have these moans as I do at times. That it could come over as I am a hater. As I love the guy. It's just so frustrating watching someone who has so much talent just piss it away.
My hope was he would get to 60, be happy, He had done enough. Instead, he seems less happy than he used to be. The depths of the barrel he is prepared to scrap to keep fame alive is sad.
I will always love him, I used to admire him though, I used to respect him. I thought he was better. So, it just gets to me. You know when you believe in someone and they let you down, its a hard pill. The number of hardcore fans who were really into him, who have walked. Is amazing.
I haven't walked though. I hold my nose and jump in. There is only so long you can hold you breath

As a new more casual fan i really don't see why so many are so fatalistic and overly dramatic that he is doing a puff piece interview about his new album. Maybe after I listen to it I'll get it, but right now I don't really see how this is different than what most any other artist with the "right" political opinions does no matter all the skeletons that might be in their closets. They all get the same softball interviews lol Moz wouldn't get that treatment so he facilitates it. Maybe it will be cringe, who cares. Most people are never going to know it exists.

As a new more casual fan i really don't see why so many are so fatalistic and overly dramatic that he is doing a puff piece interview about his new album. Maybe after I listen to it I'll get it, but right now I don't really see how this is different than what most any other artist with the "right" political opinions does no matter all the skeletons that might be in their closets. They all get the same softball interviews lol Moz wouldn't get that treatment so he facilitates it. Maybe it will be cringe, who cares. Most people are never going to know it exists.
It's really simple. you may resist the answer but it's true. Even my daughter (who is under 14 ) can see it, she likes M. even my son (who is under 25) can see it and he hates M
You have to remember for some old fans, who were there for The Smiths or his early solo career,
Back then he was fire. His records were fire. his live shows were fire and his interviews were fire.
Part of the thing that made it all so good, was M took people on and mostly outwitted them.
So to have this M now who in some ways like he always was and in other ways completely different. It's quite a fall. He once had a status akin to a mix of Bowie, Elvis, and Dylan He was seen as the best pop/rock star the UK produced since Bowie.
I'm not sure that is the case these days. It's about standards, he used to suppress them. Now he doesn't and it's not that he doesn't surpass them he falls way short of em. If you never had such high standards then you ain't gonna be as disappointed
Basically, we love the fella and want to see him bang out records and get back the place he deserves. He ain't gonna do that the way he is going.

Very apt description. Never thought of it that way, but I can see it.
Yes, I agree with the Sunset thing. The thing is he didn't have to be that predictable. He could have been shaped for longer. I was hoping more for an Alan Bennett, Dirk Bogarde, Terry Stamp. Type close not some cliche American BS

On twitter, La Dodwell confirmed indirectly, that it is indeed her, doing the interview.
Does anyone know how she got on board the gravy train? Fair play to her . She's fake and you can tell by her writing when she started, at least. She knew very very little about M. and his art.
Does anyone know how she became the new Julia? It makes me f***ing laugh out loud that she managed to elbow that other bint out the way and claim her spot- you know the one who does those pod casts, you can tell she was trying to set herself up to be where FD is now

If I could ask Morrissey one question, before tackling the questions I've been given about the best record he's ever made, it would be: Who exactly were the lyrics to "I know who I love" about and why did you remove the track from "Maladjusted" at the last minute.
And this is surely the last question on earth that would occur to Mrs. Dodwell if she had ever heard of Maladjusted?

If I could ask Morrissey one question, before tackling the questions I've been given about the best record he's ever made, it would be: Who exactly were the lyrics to "I know who I love" about and why did you remove the track from "Maladjusted" at the last minute.
And this is surely the last question on earth that would occur to Mrs. Dodwell if she had ever heard of Maladjusted?
Pass it over to her on IG and Twitter, I hear she likes the attention. I would ask why the hell has November Spawned been absent from the set lost for so long?
That song could be mega live, with his new band. I would also ask "everyman has regrets, do you wish you would have just released your auto in parts - childhood to smiths? smiths to early solo etc. The first book really would have been a work of art. "

Don't watch it then, you're going to hate it and criticise it no matter the content.
I will watch it and I will criticize it :thumb:

On twitter, La Dodwell confirmed indirectly, that it is indeed her, doing the interview.
In that case I'm not expecting anything other than sycophantic questions about how great Morrissey is, how he is the only artist who matters and why are the industry trying to silence his genius, etc.

I don't necessarily want to see him face a barrage of difficult questions from some Guardian hack with an axe to grind either, but it would be nice to get an interview with a proper, unbiased journalist. I really don't think his policy of not speaking to the media has had any positive effects over the past few years.

In that case I'm not expecting anything other than sycophantic questions about how great Morrissey is, how he is the only artist who matters and why are the industry trying to silence his genius, etc.

I don't necessarily want to see him face a barrage of difficult questions from some Guardian hack with an axe to grind either, but it would be nice to get an interview with a proper, unbiased journalist. I really don't think his policy of not speaking to the media has had any positive effects over the past few years.
Yes
Paul Morely. Michael Bracewell, Jon Savage. That ilk, do they now even care?

Yes, she likes the attention of the last hardcore fans on twitter and there sre oh so many followers interested in the interview but she can't speak about it before it was sent. Important!

If she conducted the interview, this means what we all already guessed since day I. She acts like some press agent.

She has been paid by Morrissey during all these months to flatter his ego by pissing these dithyrambic text deprived any wit on the web. Morrissey acts some kind of king who can only stand sycophants in the room. And the sycophants keep on doing sycophancy, and the drunkers keep on drinking

If she conducted the interview, this means what we all already guessed since day I. She acts like some press agent.

She has been paid by Morrissey during all these months to flatter his ego by pissing these dithyrambic text deprived any wit on the web. Morrissey acts some kind of king who can only stand sycophants in the room. And the sycophants keep on doing sycophancy, and the drunkers keep on drinking
Yes, but don't have standards as it means you are a hater.
Don't say anything that isn't hero worship or the Mozangeles mongs will get a hit out on you.
(doesn't matter they actually know very little about his art or him and you know way more than them)

How exactly is being interviewed by your nephew a suggestion that he's afraid of being interviewed by a music journalist? What a bizarre take.
Don't be thick. He obviously only wants to be interviewed by people who won't press him on anything terribly difficult. I'm not a Moz hater, I'm still a fan, but that much is pretty obvious to anybody.

I agree on his wariness and only wanting to speak to people who he feels safe around. But...any credible artist appears on the respected media outlets to promote an album; chat shows, radio, even a curated Q & A session organised by a big internet presence. This all comes across as very amateur and is projecting the totally wrong image.
When he did the Der Spiegel interview, he was given the choice to not discuss topics he did not want to discuss, it's right on the tape. But, he went ahead and said all those things that got him into so much trouble anyway, he could have avoided it. He makes very poor decisions and then blames everyone else. There has to be a way to set up an interview or ten with legitmate press who will give him the same kind of out.
When he does what he is doing now, the media does pick it up and they write an article about it, along with a laundry list of everything else he has done that got him in this 'trouble' in the first place. He has quite literally given himself no say in the narrative, whereas if he cooperated with legitmate press and made some ground rules, he would look a lot better and have more control over what is printed. He really limits himself like this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom