Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Morrissey Interview 2022. (Premiered November 28, 2022)

Interview by Fiona Dodwell.

Description:

In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

Screenshot_20221128-052602.png

Media coverage:

Related items:

Last edited:
Will there be a second half because this leaves a lot to be desired. The interviewer didn't challenge him with any questions and it showed on Morrissey's face and in his answers.
This wasn't an interview, more of a lightly steered monologue. I hope his facial expressions were an acknowledgment of how monotonous/servile the whole thing was.

Really? Most unlikely.
What is unlikely? The dream or the likes?
Great to see him, great to see him look good and healthy, great to hear him talk. He was even funny at times and sometimes he made sense. But often it was way too anodyne, way too self-aggrandizing and lacking depth. And the stuff he said about countries and diversity will bury him even deeper.
The state of his career is still completely unique, but still definitely not enviable.

'Healthy' . . . well.
No, he doesn't really look healthy, more waxy. Okay, he is over 60, that should also be mentioned fairly. I am also still of the opinion, that he looks rather nervous in gestures and facial expressions although the comfort zone is offered.

Well that explains the cancellations due to illness and inability to recover.
"All day , all night all I think about- the voice, the song ......I'm trapped, dedicated, call it what you will, it's my life". If the voice goes, it's over and it's his life, so he does what he must.

I still can't get over, how she can "make up" such "questions" and then be somewhat hailed as a "good journalist" for doing so. Since she already does not really talk about the musician Morrissey, but rather about his cultural and commercial worldview, she could have asked the all-important questions:

Morrissey, some of your statements have scared away many fans. Can you imagine what has upset them or can you see that the responsibility in this could also lie in your person, not only in that of the media. Would you like to clarify something about this?

But the protocol did not foresee such a thing.

What is unlikely? The dream or the likes?

No, he doesn't really look healthy, more waxy. Okay, he is over 60, that should also be mentioned fairly. I am also still of the opinion, that he looks rather nervous in gestures and facial expressions although the comfort zone is offered.
I thought so too. He definitely has some blur effect on him and looks a bit unnatural, you can see it especially on his hands. But to each his own, if he feels more comfortable I can totally understand it, although seeing him live in September I must say he really doesn't need it. He looked surprisingly (for his age) fit in person without the blur and enhanced colour saturation :)

I still can't get over, how she can "make up" such "questions" and then be somewhat hailed as a "good journalist" for doing so. Since she already does not really talk about the musician Morrissey, but rather about his cultural and commercial worldview, she could have asked the all-important questions:

Morrissey, some of your statements have scared away many fans. Can you imagine what has upset them or can you see that the responsibility in this could also lie in your person, not only in that of the media. Would you like to clarify something about this?

But the protocol did not foresee such a thing.
This was not really an 'interview' to talk about his music, it was a platform for him, under the guise of answering 'questions', to settle scores, talk about how special he is, how no one understands him, how his fans love him, how the record companies don't care about how much his fans love him (the ones he blows off all the time), and his weird rant about "diversity". I can't make myself watch it again but I think diversity was brought up regarding record companies, it was a direct hit at BMG, who he has previously said dropped him in the name of diversity. He was obviously bitter it took him this long to get a deal, and since the interview there seem to be some problems between him and the record company who has now taken him on. He said during the interview he was letting the record company handle everything, but that is obviously not true, since Central has been posting messages about it.

I honestly can't stand his bitching and moaning anymore. I thought he was having a pretty good year and was maybe finally emerging from the black cloud that has been over him for the past few years, but he is really his own worst enemy. He will never take responsibility for the problems he has made for himself.

This was not really an 'interview' to talk about his music, it was a platform for him, under the guise of answering 'questions', to settle scores, talk about how special he is, how no one understands him, how his fans love him, how the record companies don't care about how much his fans love him (the ones he blows off all the time), and his weird rant about "diversity". I can't make myself watch it again but I think diversity was brought up regarding record companies, it was a direct hit at BMG, who he has previously said dropped him in the name of diversity. He was obviously bitter it took him this long to get a deal, and since the interview there seem to be some problems between him and the record company who has now taken him on. He said during the interview he was letting the record company handle everything, but that is obviously not true, since Central has been posting messages about it.

I honestly can't stand his bitching and moaning anymore. I thought he was having a pretty good year and was maybe finally emerging from the black cloud that has been over him for the past few years, but he is really his own worst enemy. He will never take responsibility for the problems he has made for himself.

Agree with this. I do find it odd that he keeps quiet for a while then has a successful uk tour albeit in smaller (better) venues and then starts to slip back into his old habits of moaning that everything and everyone is against him.

Last edited:

Well, he answers this question in a way by talking about people being offended. If you don't like what you hear, don't listen (to me). If you're offended, you're just an idiot.
I don't think that Morrissey would want to clarify anything; he could easily dictate Sam a statement to post on Central if he wanted to like that open letter to Johnny.

Agree with this. I do find it odd that he keeps quiet for a while then has a successful uk tour albeit in smaller (better) venues and then starts to slip back into his old habits of moaning that's everything and everyone is against him.
Exactly, you are spot on. And how can everyone be against him when he just had a string of successes. I was really rooting for him, but it is so hard when he slides back into his bitterness and refuses to realize just how fortunate he is.

Interesting comments by all. Morrissey has always divided opinion amongst his fans inevitably and thats fine. He's interesting and challenges what the media and politicians push on us, and thats one of the reasons we all come back to him. It's refreshing to see as he is such a break from the mould. I know everyone of his fans on here love him even if they don't always agree with him. We all take solace in sitting down and listening to his music. I am thankful for him x

This wasn't an interview, more of a lightly steered monologue. I hope his facial expressions were an acknowledgment of how monotonous/servile the whole thing was.
Knowing Fiona Dodwell was doing the interview, im not sure what anyone else expected, really. I’m fine with it. It just didn’t give anything new away, apart from that he’s about to record a new album. That’s nice. But he will these days not talk to anyone who will take a headline and run with it in the wrong direction - which is his prerogative

I wonder if the band aids/plasters on his fingers are due to paper cuts he received as a result of the force Fiona used when taking the list of pre agreed questions from him?.

Knowing Fiona Dodwell was doing the interview, im not sure what anyone else expected, really. I’m fine with it. It just didn’t give anything new away, apart from that he’s about to record a new album. That’s nice. But he will these days not talk to anyone who will take a headline and run with it in the wrong direction - which is his prerogative
Right . Let’s recap. Bad week for Moz.
Useless single
Useless interview
Cancelled shows

It can’t be worse ( Any news from Capitol ?)

Right . Let’s recap. Bad week for Moz.
Useless single
Useless interview
Cancelled shows

It can’t be worse ( Any news from Capitol ?)
Solo is a plague (better avoid)☑️
Right. Let's remember. Good week for Moz.✔️
Fantastic new single with jangly Marr/Gannon guitars.✔️
Successful interview with high ratings and great fan reviews.✔️
Delayed/postponed shows (still due to the cold @ Greek Theatre crew n service member still ill) ✔️

More good news coming soon on Central. (Trusted source for all things BIG n CAPITAL).✔️✔️

Last edited:
Solo is a plague (better avoid)
Right. Let's remember. Good week for Moz.
Fantastic new single with jangly Marr/Gannon guitars.
Successful interview with high ratings and great fan reviews.
Delayed/postponed shows (still due to the cold at Greek Theatre / crew n service member still ill).

More good news coming soon on Central. (Trusted source for all things BIG n Capital).
Yes yes yes 👍🏻

Solo is a plague (better avoid)
Right. Let's remember. Good week for Moz.
Fantastic new single with jangly Marr/Gannon guitars.
Successful interview with high ratings and great fan reviews.
Delayed/postponed shows (still due to the cold at Greek Theatre / crew n service member still ill).

More good news coming soon on Central. (Trusted source for all things BIG n CAPITAL).
Still ill, you say?
Jangly guitars, you say?

But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams, Phranc

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just rewatched Moz's interview and listened to RWA, and inquired myself: what's there not to like?

The answer within myself was silence.

I guess it's because I love him to bits.

He is his own worst enemy, always has been, always will be. This is the reason why he can’t keep anybody in his personal life for more than 10 minutes.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom