Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Morrissey Interview 2022. (Premiered November 28, 2022)

Interview by Fiona Dodwell.

Description:

In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

Screenshot_20221128-052602.png

Media coverage:

Related items:

Last edited:
You are such a scumbag.

It's more like Generica - the hegemony of the dominant culture - which would be America. Which - ironically - is where you get your racism from. It has no understanding of European history or culture.
Even you can't save Morrissey from his constant bigotry, he did it again. He keeps doing it. Foot in mouth, again. He never learns.

good interview well done fee,people going on about past interviews,do they for forget how bad the j ross interview actually was.
jr-can we be friends.
M-no.
jr-you must have loads of friends.
M-i have 7.
and thats the good bit,when was the last time M was actually funny in an interview,it was a long time ago.
I agree - the JR interview was fairly dreadful. Moz is always a bit stiff and wooden in interviews. He's best when he's just talking to camera, as in The South Bank Show documentary, for example, or in written Q&A interviews, when he gets the chance to polish his answers.

In today's Guardian there's an interview with the writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and an extract from her BBC Reith Lecture, to be broadcast later this week. In which she says:

reith.jpg

(Which is, basically, exactly what Morrissey's saying here. Except he's a bit less eloquent about it.)

Moz looked great and made some very valid points. He still tends towards such a negative view of life it taints even the good stuff. There still are great bands out there who play to huge audiences, TV (well streaming at least) has a lot of interesting shows, and while there is a lot of blandness in life there are also interesting people, places, and things to do, especially if you're a multimillionaire like our Moz. I.did find it sad (not pathetic, just sad) how he says his life is music and there's nothing else. We've only got one life and it'll be over before we know it.

You are such a scumbag.

It's more like Generica - the hegemony of the dominant culture - which would be America. Which - ironically - is where you get your racism from. It has no understanding of European history or culture.
And good morning to you too, Karen!
That is of course the end result - when there is no national culture or national identity left, because of 'diversity', then all there is left to take their place is mindless consumerism and consumption. The big corporations and 'globalism' take over. What he's saying is pure Nigel Farage. With even a bit of David Icke thrown in. The dissolution of the nation state is a very common theme of many non-mainstream commentators, not all on the 'right' or 'far right'.
I'm not necessarily agreeing with him - just pointing out the obvious.

And good morning to you too, Karen!
That is of course the end result - when there is no national culture or national identity left, because of 'diversity', then all there is left to take their place is mindless consumerism and consumption. The big corporations and 'globalism' take over. What he's saying is pure Nigel Farage. With even a bit of David Icke thrown in. The dissolution of the nation state is a very common theme of many non-mainstream commentators, not all on the 'right' or 'far right'.
I'm not necessarily agreeing with him - just pointing out the obvious.

That is not what he was saying.

That's what you want him to say - you utter piece of shit.

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

...Diversity is conformity

Cringe.

Moz looked great and made some very valid points. He still tends towards such a negative view of life it taints even the good stuff. There still are great bands out there who play to huge audiences, TV (well streaming at least) has a lot of interesting shows, and while there is a lot of blandness in life there are also interesting people, places, and things to do, especially if you're a multimillionaire like our Moz. I.did find it sad (not pathetic, just sad) how he says his life is music and there's nothing else. We've only got one life and it'll be over before we know it.
I thought that line about not really existing except when he's singing was such a powerful line. Like most things Moz says though, like most things anyone says, I'm sure it's partly true and partly false. I'm sure he has found some pleasure in his life on many occasions. He's a fan of Oscar Wilde, after all. I think too he's clearly thinking about his legacy. He knows his music will last and live on. Whereas everything else is all so transitory.

Replace multiculturalism with diversity and you have a similiar message. He even mentions us Germans again. Yes, our cultural identity is very important to him.

SPIEGEL: So you're against taking in refugees?
Morrissey: Okay, let's talk about multiculturalism. I want Germany to be German. I want France to be French. If you try to make everything multicultural, you end up with no culture at all. All European countries have fought for their identity for many, many years. And now they are just throwing it away. I think that's sad.

The segment about diversity is no doubt the part that might be seen as 'controversial'. Billy Bragg may be poised to respond as we speak. In that segment Moz does seem to suggest that 'diversity' means watering down 'national' culture so that they all become the same. Trigger warning for Karen: Great Replacement alert!
Yes, I'm pretty sure his thinking on this is at least partly influenced by Douglas Murray's book The Strange Death of Europe, which he was recommending on Central back in 2018. (A book with the rather blunt subtitle: "Immigration, Identity, Islam"...)

Yes, I'm pretty sure his thinking on this is at least partly influenced by Douglas Murray's book The Strange Death of Europe, which he was recommending on Central back in 2018. (A book with the rather blunt subtitle: "Immigration, Identity, Islam"...)

He was talking about Americanisation & the blanding out of culture in the 80s.

What he took from Murray's book - and has since abandoned is the idea that Europe was ignoring religious violence because it didn't want to cause offence.

Replace multiculturalism with diversity and you have a similiar message. He even mentions us Germans again. Yes, our cultural identity is very important to him.

SPIEGEL: So you're against taking in refugees?
Morrissey: Okay, let's talk about multiculturalism. I want Germany to be German. I want France to be French. If you try to make everything multicultural, you end up with no culture at all. All European countries have fought for their identity for many, many years. And now they are just throwing it away. I think that's sad.

He went on to clarify that he didn't mean people had to stay where they were & he was very specifically talking about a reaction to a crisis that didn't work & was changed.

He went on to clarify that he didn't mean people had to stay where they were & he was very specifically talking about a reaction to a crisis that didn't work & was changed.
You mean:

SPIEGEL: So you're saying everyone should stay where they are?

Morrissey: (laughs loudly) No. But I think every country should preserve its identity. Millions of people died for the German identity. If you think they deserve respect, then you have to protect their country.

That's a very benevolent interpretation on your part.

However, I do not want to shed any more light on it. He has his topics. Packs them now a little more harmless, because he burned himself badly. Why Fiona Dodwell (?) came up with such harmless questions, only she knows. Still, Morrissey seems nervous, even though it's on safe ground after all.

Really enjoyed. He looks really well. 30 minutes of Morrissey is better than an autobiography of most musicians.

If he says BoT is his best album, then he hasn't heard the studio version of "Rebels without applause" yet :unsure:. Other than that, I agree with all the rest of his statements. God Bless Morrissey.

You mean:

SPIEGEL: So you're saying everyone should stay where they are?

Morrissey: (laughs loudly) No. But I think every country should preserve its identity. Millions of people died for the German identity. If you think they deserve respect, then you have to protect their country.

That's a very benevolent interpretation on your part.

However, I do not want to shed any more light on it. He has his topics. Packs them now a little more harmless, because he burned himself badly. Why Fiona Dodwell (?) came up with such harmless questions, only she knows. Still, Morrissey seems nervous, even though it's on safe ground after all.

It was more of a squeal than a laugh & they edited it:

JL – So you’re just saying, like, everybody should stay where they are?

Morrissey – No! I don’t think that! You stay where you are? Stop it!

It's not controversial for places to retain an identity - it's why UNESCO has world heritage sites etc etc...

One look at this thread will tell you why he's nervous of any question - because his answer will be given the least charitable interpretation possible. It's been happening for decades so confirmation bias kicks in.

You’re suggesting that Morrissey can be distinguished from the Conservative right because you believe the latter advocate the idea that people should ‘stay where they are’?

Neither Nigel Farage nor Douglas Murray (and Morrissey has expressed a level of admiration for both right-wing commentators) believe people should ‘stay where they are’.

You’re actually more likely to find left-wing eco-warriors suggesting that everyone stays put.

I’d recommend finding a representative of the right and having a chat. They don’t bite. Ask them about immigration, and you might recognise the internationalist opinions of Morrissey; verbatim.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom