Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Morrissey Interview 2022. (Premiered November 28, 2022)

Interview by Fiona Dodwell.

Description:

In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

Screenshot_20221128-052602.png

Media coverage:

Related items:

Last edited:
Great interview! I'll have to watch it again to review it. Let the whingeing and moaning begin!

Peak viewing for the live ~256 people.

Album.
Setlist choices.
Fans.
Industry & press.
Favourite tracks on BOT - not possible.
Biggest frustration.
Not being included.
Coping with being fictionalised.
Anything else - we have written the follow-up album - recorded soon.
Being prolific.
Bland industry / making it interesting.
Dumbing down in the 90's and today (UK adverts).
Labels / new bands / diversity (the new way of saying conformity).
Dreadful word.
Social media - expert critic, expert scientist / cancelling people.
They have to find a witch.
"Mary Whitehouse culture."
People who think like that are dreadful people.
Protest culture.
Animal rights - seeing changes & being happy about it. Let animals rest.

Fiona's word for the day: "um".
FWD.

Pretty good interview.

"Diversity is the new word for conformity" hahahaha God I love him

Who is this Fiona Dodwell anyway?

Nice to see. Only exciting tidbit is the next album being written. Hooray for Alain!
I thought Fiona did a good job considering how nervous she must’ve been.

They'll have to paraphrase extensively to get a scandal out of that - will probably try but it'll be a bit pathetic.

Well, I certainly didn’t need to wait for that to premiere. How short. Such dull questions.

Morrissey looks beautiful— find someone in their 60s who looks so good. His eyes are just captivating.

I think he’s totally right about the social media witch hunt culture. I actually think it’s good for people to speak out and critique and debate. But it seems that corporations are so quick to bend to the opinions of a loud few in defense of the bottom line.

I wouldn’t dare say something negative about Loona on Twitter unless I want 400 photos from different angles of my home sent to me.

So exciting that he is working on another album. Bonfire seems like it will be great. I think this is going to be a great new era of Moz.

This Fiona situation is so disappointing. I think he is surrounded by sycophants and everything will continue to be SER and Fiona, Fiona and SER with no room for anybody else.

Imagine the interview we’d get if FWD could ask the questions…

Just listened. Fairly Short interview. There’s another album to record after BOT. Looking forward to another round of songs to listen to Yay!!! Nothing (question wise) that we have’t heard before. He looks amazing and his voice is very soothing. Reminds me why I love him so much, really.

What kind of amateur setup is this with the interviewer sitting downhill, in the dark, with her back to the camera?

He lit up when saying that animals have done so much for humans, and it's time to give them a rest, and let them live.

100% comfort zone here.
"I leave it up to them to announce..." (BOT release details).
Them = Sam :)

Edit:
He said: "I will leave it up to others...to announce"
So Sam was not intended here at all (but he did in the end).
The pun was too good to be true

Last edited:
You could sense his mind sparking into life a couple of times (particularly around the "Mary Whitehouse Culture" section) but otherwise that was anodyne to the nth degree.

It just makes me sad that he now consents/demands to be treated like this. Interviews with Morrissey used to be such fascinating things, a clash of wits and a constant stream of jokes and wordplay (the closest he got here was giggling at Fiona's use of the word "regular") - but this was like watching an interview with Putin or Kim Jong-un, where the interviewer's sole task is to avoid saying anything that might upset or irritate their subject.

Ah well. Good news about the songs for the next album after Bonfire!

You could sense his mind sparking into life a couple of times (particularly around the "Mary Whitehouse Culture" section) but otherwise that was anodyne to the nth degree.

It just makes me sad that he now consents/demands to be treated like this. Interviews with Morrissey used to be such fascinating things, a clash of wits and a constant stream of jokes and wordplay (the closest he got here was giggling at Fiona's use of the word "regular") - but this was like watching an interview with Putin or Kim Jong-un, where the interviewer's sole task is to avoid saying anything that might upset or irritate their subject.

You summed it up perfectly. "Great master, why do media and record labels shy away from artists who are 100% true and/or uncomfortable?"
He continues to sit quite comfortably in his ivory tower.

steves a sweetheart. fiona seemed relax. it was fine. i would def say it was f***ed up if i thought so. everyone here should go start a substack!

Last edited:
Peak viewing for the live ~256 people.

Album.
Setlist choices.
Fans.
Industry & press.
Favourite tracks on BOT - not possible.
Biggest frustration.
Not being included.
Coping with being fictionalised.
Anything else - we have written the follow-up album - recorded soon.
Being prolific.
Bland industry / making it interesting.
Dumbing down in the 90's and today (UK adverts).
Labels / new bands / diversity (the new way of saying conformity).
Dreadful word.
Social media - expert critic, expert scientist / cancelling people.
The have to find a witch.
"Mary Whitehouse culture."
People who think like that are dreadful people.
Protest culture.
Animal rights - seeing changes & being happy about it. Let animals rest.

Fiona's word for the day: "um".
FWD.

Do you have a tool for uncompressed YT downloads? Mine ends at 720p.

I miss the old "Mozzer charm" and the humour he had once, that was completely flat. Just a man sounding totally over-awed with himself and grinding the same axes. He looked bored.

Nice to see him in a conversation again but it was a bit bland and lacking in humour (I always remember the JR interview, which was hilarious) I do agree with his thoughts on social media though.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom