Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Morrissey Interview 2022. (Premiered November 28, 2022)

Interview by Fiona Dodwell.

Description:

In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

Screenshot_20221128-052602.png

Media coverage:

Related items:

Last edited:
I don't disagree with what you say. As the saying goes, follow the money...
But I would have to disagree that there's some sort of great strategy to destroy "Britishness" or "Frenchness", etc... maybe that's not what you're saying.

Liberals feel like the world is getting better when a corporation appeals to them in their advertising or when an episode of an old TV show gets pulled from Netflix; and the Gammons of the world fight these mild distractions as though they threaten the fabric of society. The whole thing is misdirection.

But I would have to disagree that there's some sort of great strategy to destroy "Britishness" or "Frenchness", etc... maybe that's not what you're saying.

Liberals feel like things are getting better when a corporation appeals to them in their advertising or when an episode of an old TV show gets pulled from Netflix; and the Gammons of the world fight these mild distractions as though they threaten the fabric of society. The whole thing is misdirection.
I think it's what Moz is saying, or at least hinting at? And what he has said before? It's what Douglas Murray has argued, a man that Moz advised us all to read.

Exactly. You nailed it. He still wants to be pinned on every bedroom wall and can't understand the circumstances why this won't happen anytime soon.

Can I befriend
Exactly. You nailed it. He still wants to be pinned on every bedroom wall and can't understand the circumstances why this won't happen anytime soon.

Can I befriend you?
I’d say he can be “ big again” and get the recognition he longs.
Unfortunately he doesn’t listen and continue surrounding himself with the “ wrong people” and lacks a real manager.
I wonder what ever happened to Deborah, she was one of the lasts that Moz listened to.
Anyway I’m sure there are enough names he could chose but he just doesn’t want to, he wants magic and it’s not gonna happen.

Can I befriend you?
Lol
I'm married with two kids .I don't have friends. If you were being serious
then you can email sure .
if you were joking .
it worked . I laughed out loud .

I’d say he can be “ big again” and get the recognition he longs.
Unfortunately he doesn’t listen and continue surrounding himself with the “ wrong people” and lacks a real manager.
I wonder what ever happened to Deborah, she was one of the lasts that Moz listened to.
Anyway I’m sure there are enough names he could chose but he just doesn’t want to, he wants magic and it’s not gonna happen.
Too much time has passed for that and he is completely stigmatized.
Lol
I'm married with two kids .I don't have friends. If you were being serious
then you can email sure .
if you were joking .
it worked . I laughed out loud .
That's a beautiful thing, isn't it? We are told here, that we go to the basement to laugh, talk everything bad and have no idea in general what's good for Morrissey.

Liberals feel like the world is getting better when a corporation appeals to them in their advertising or when an episode of an old TV show gets pulled from Netflix; and the Gammons of the world fight these mild distractions as though they threaten the fabric of society. The whole thing is misdirection.
You started off by talking global - the military industrial complex bombing the Middle East and making trillions of dollars in profits in the process - and then you reduce it to the banality of 'Gammons' getting upset about the content of Netflix.
If nation states die - what will replace them? An 'empire' is no doubt what will replace them. And empires only exist by centralised bureaucratic and totalitarian power. I think that's where 'globalism' is heading, with transnational corporations running the show. It's not a coincidence that democracy was born in a city-state in Greece.

I’ve always felt that he could do a Bowie. Bowie was a joke for about 20 years and then he somehow rescued it and nobody said a bad word about him, ever. Then he died and became sanctified.
Morrissey can do it. I know he can. He just has to wait for people to catch up.

I miss the old "Mozzer charm" and the humour he had once, that was completely flat. Just a man sounding totally over-awed with himself and grinding the same axes. He looked bored.
See how energized and inspired you feel after being interviewed sideweays by a frumpy wannabe journalist asking the dullest, most predictable questions on Earth.

This Fiona situation is so disappointing. I think he is surrounded by sycophants and everything will continue to be SER and Fiona, Fiona and SER with no room for anybody else.
Yeah well given the hatchet job he's been treated to over and over again by the professionals, I don't blame him for shunning the official music press.

I’ve always felt that he could do a Bowie. Bowie was a joke for about 20 years and then he somehow rescued it and nobody said a bad word about him, ever. Then he died and became sanctified.
Bowie never made the mistake of advising people to vote for a 'controversial' political party. That will haunt Morrissey as an artist. He committed, and that was a mistake.
Bowie made the mistake of becoming a bleached plastic pop star. He served several years of purgatory in Tin Machine to absolve himself of the artistic sin, and managed to win back his integrity. But as a global pop star he didn't have to worry about a dwindling audience. The pop audience followed him on his journey back into 'cool' and 'alternative' again. Moz has never lost his artistic integrity. But he did lose a big chunk of his audience. I'm not sure if he can win much of that audience he lost back again. Those that still love / like him don't care about what he did in 2019, think it's been misunderstood, or admire him for it. Those that do care, who knows if they will ever come back. People are fickle. And no doubt the children of the woke generation will react against their parents and want something unsafe and dangerous again. But is this where Morrissey always should be? In the wilderness, struggling to get a record deal. The outsider's outsider?

Yes, I'm pretty sure his thinking on this is at least partly influenced by Douglas Murray's book The Strange Death of Europe, which he was recommending on Central back in 2018. (A book with the rather blunt subtitle: "Immigration, Identity, Islam"...)
Murray, in interviews, is what I hoped M would be like in his 40s and up.
I expect Murray is a Smiths fan.

What kind of problem does he have with fingers? Plasters on both hands and not for the first time.

He looks good and i like his wavy hair on top.

But what a tentative interview. I'm not saying that it is wrong to be cautious in the 21st century and tiptoe around every chosen adjective as if it is a potential landmine, but the danger is gone, of course. This is '22, and he is not 22 any longer. We can agree on that, and it is still very charming to listen.

I like the idea that he thinks of himself as "made by the people" and not by the music industry. There is something fundamentally true in that. He is intelligent enough to make up his own mind, and doesn't need any marketing tips from the music moguls.

Bowie never made the mistake of advising people to vote for a 'controversial' political party. That will haunt Morrissey as an artist. He committed, and that was a mistake.
Bowie made the mistake of becoming a bleached plastic pop star. He served several years of purgatory in Tin Machine to absolve himself of the artistic sin, and managed to win back his integrity. But as a global pop star he didn't have to worry about a dwindling audience. The pop audience followed him on his journey back into 'cool' and 'alternative' again. Moz has never lost his artistic integrity. But he did lose a big chunk of his audience. I'm not sure if he can win much of that audience he lost back again. Those that still love / like him don't care about what he did in 2019, think it's been misunderstood, or admire him for it. Those that do care, who knows if they will ever come back. People are fickle. And no doubt the children of the woke generation will react against their parents and want something unsafe and dangerous again. But is this where Morrissey always should be? In the wilderness, struggling to get a record deal. The outsider's outsider?
Not sure why you would want to compare M to Bowie. As Bowie's influence outstrips M's by miles
Bowie lost his way, as all artists do. but he maintained respect and "integrity " in the long run because his 70s work was considered so f***ing special. More than that his cultural impact is huge compared to M's Bowie also started to find form again in the 90s and his last two LPs are the best example of life/death as art this side of Joy Division
M hasn't been respected for his art for a long time. Do you really think "What Kind of People live In These Houses? " or "That's How People Grow Up" or "All You Need Is Me" are considered brilliant bits of art? is " Last of the gang to die" considered great art? Do they really show integrity?
As pop songs they are fine but beyond that they aren't landmarks in art, at all. His lyrics over the last 15 to 20 years are often piss f***ing poor usually., If anyone else sang them you would LOL. Because you love M and because of his Smiths and 90s work and his voice you give it more weight but just read the lyrics on most of his LPs lately, they are really bad at times His new song uses f***ing voice trickery, for a singer, do you really think that shows integrity?
Do you think his cover art, something he considered vital, is any good, he said he gets other people to do it, does that show integrity? He often doesn't show up for his live gigs, does that show integrity?
Also, by his 50s Bowie had sorted himself out, he was hugely respected by friends and other artists
M doesn't seem to have that many good friends or that many people who speak well of him- or at least the ones that do, tend to be on the payroll. It could be argued the only people who bother to stay friends, do so for some kind of monetary gain
I'm, not even that much of a Bowie fan by the way.

The "interview" is just a means to an end. Things aren't happy in the Morrissey garden and he needs to get things off his chest. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Fiona was handed the questions as they entered the sitting area of the theatre.
I think he probably did hand her the questions. Especially, as the first half of the interview was him saying the same kinda crap he has said in interviews for 20 years. Image-enhancing rubbish, lots of which arent true. LIke when Oasis used to say they were the best band in the world.
say it enough and some people believe it

See how energized and inspired you feel after being interviewed sideweays by a frumpy wannabe journalist asking the dullest, most predictable questions on Earth.
What can I say... you get what you pay for.

People have been quick to forget/no longer remember/don’t remember Bowie’s dalliance with fascism in the late mid to late ‘70s. But if we want to compare that to Morrissey and his controversies, I think we live in an era where everything is reported and everything is attached to those in the public eye. I think Moz’s perceived shortcomings are around his neck forever. Unless the culture changes, which I hope it does.

Moz has never lost his artistic integrity. But he did lose a big chunk of his audience. I'm not sure if he can win much of that audience he lost back again. Those that still love / like him don't care about what he did in 2019, think it's been misunderstood, or admire him for it. Those that do care, who knows if they will ever come back. People are fickle. And no doubt the children of the woke generation will react against their parents and want something unsafe and dangerous again. But is this where Morrissey always should be? In the wilderness, struggling to get a record deal. The outsider's outsider?
That's the whole contradiction of Moz though, isn't it? He always wanted massive, global fame, airplay etc - he was never an 'outsider' by choice - but even on the few occasions when that might have been a real possibility for him, he always did or said something to screw it up. He only wanted it on his own terms.

When I look at him today, I don't know how much of what he says comes from true ambition (wanting to be on the 'inside' of the industry), and how much he does this stuff because he gets some satisfaction from fighting 'battles' all the time, it gives him something to focus on. I think if he woke up tomorrow and got everything he ever wanted, he'd just run away and start another battle about something else.

Last edited:
"Nothing has been injected into me I can assure you". I'm delighted and relieved to hear that.
The most noteworthy statement from that interview. Fiona had a little giggle when he said it.
Morrissey looks healthy and fit unlike a lot of his contemporaries. Three years of non- journalism, Midazolam Matt in the jungle instead of jail and what remains of free speech under threat by proposed legislation, no wonder Morrissey is wary of "journalists".

People are fickle. And no doubt the children of the woke generation will react against their parents and want something unsafe and dangerous again. But is this where Morrissey always should be? In the wilderness, struggling to get a record deal. The outsider's outsider?

As the parent teenagers, I can tell you that they are super-woke. They will call out any kind of micro-aggression or slight. Morrissey is doomed with this generation.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom