Sam Esty Rayner / YouTube: Morrissey Interview 2022. (Premiered November 28, 2022)

Interview by Fiona Dodwell.

Description:

In his first filmed interview since 2015, Morrissey speaks on his best album to date. Recorded October 9, 2022 at The London Palladium during his triumphant U.K tour. Directed by Sam Esty Rayner Photography.

Screenshot_20221128-052602.png

Media coverage:

Related items:

Last edited:
If he says BoT is his best album, then he hasn't heard the studio version of "Rebels without applause" yet :unsure:. Other than that, I agree with all the rest of his statements. God Bless Morrissey.
I really love the new single. But not the production. It's the second time he sings 'bawdy' in each refrain that you really can't help but notice. And when he sings 'gone' at 1'34''. It's comical. How that was 'passed' by any sort of quality control in Capitol escapes me.

He looks wonderful. But my god, what a dull interviewer she is. Sounded like the work experience kid.

It was more of a squeal than a laugh & they edited it:

JL – So you’re just saying, like, everybody should stay where they are?

Morrissey – No! I don’t think that! You stay where you are? Stop it!

It's not controversial for places to retain an identity - it's why UNESCO has world heritage sites etc etc...

One look at this thread will tell you why he's nervous of any question - because his answer will be given the least charitable interpretation possible. It's been happening for decades so confirmation bias kicks in.
What does he want? That I celebrate him for this self-righteous, posed interview, in which he can repeat his well-known views for the 100th time? He has positioned himself within the framework of the cultural identity preservation of Europe, where the right-wing also moves. So he should stand by this and not try to cloak it in "Diversity" and "The uncomfortable truth has a hard time in the media landscape."

You’re suggesting that Morrissey can be distinguished from the Conservative right because you believe the latter advocate the idea that people should ‘stay where they are’?

Neither Nigel Farage nor Douglas Murray (and Morrissey has expressed a level of admiration for both right-wing commentators) believe people should ‘stay where they are’.

You’re actually more likely to find left-wing eco-warriors suggesting that everyone stays put.

I’d recommend finding a representative of the right and having a chat. They don’t bite. Ask them about immigration, and you might recognise the internationalist opinions of Morrissey; verbatim.

He has never liked any Tory leader - he barely mentioned Farage or Murray & he's mostly interested in PETA - a radical left-leaning group.

She sounds racked with nerves. Not helped by her subservient sitting position. I imagine most of their past communication was not face to face.

Although interesting to hear he has another albums worth of songs to record, surprised they left in the bit about not releasing it until ""Bonfire..." has room to breath. I fear, like unwanted kittens on a farm, the poor bastard has been drowned at birth.

It was more of a squeal than a laugh & they edited it:

JL – So you’re just saying, like, everybody should stay where they are?

Morrissey – No! I don’t think that! You stay where you are? Stop it!

It's not controversial for places to retain an identity - it's why UNESCO has world heritage sites etc etc...

One look at this thread will tell you why he's nervous of any question - because his answer will be given the least charitable interpretation possible. It's been happening for decades so confirmation bias kicks in.
I don't think it's my interpretation you need to worry about. You see I don't think it's racist to be concerned about your national culture or national identity being watered down in the name of 'diversity'. It's clear that Moz doesn't think it's racist either. It's just common sense and having eyes to see. Look at Leicester. Look at Sweden. But people from The Guardian and Islington chattering classes and the Billy Braggs of this world think it's racist to think that. That's whose interpretation you need to worry about.

I can't speak for anyone else, but here in America, it is the far right who want to preserve cultural identities, an extreme would be neo nazis and there really are not that many, but what Morrissey is saying is a position of the far right over here. The right/conservatives just want legal immigration.

He has never liked any Tory leader - he barely mentioned Farage or Murray & he's mostly interested in PETA - a radical left-leaning group.
He didn’t mention them, except when he did?

He explicitly recommended Douglas Murray.

Incidentally, I’m reading The Madness of Crowds at the moment. And I’m finding extensive overlap with thoughts and feelings formerly articulated by Morrissey.

I can't speak for anyone else, but here in America, it is the far right who want to preserve cultural identities, an extreme would be neo nazis and there really are not that many, but what Morrissey is saying is a position of the far right over here. The right/conservatives just want legal immigration.
I think it's a topic that the 'far right' like to exploit. That is clear throughout recent global history. But it's also clear that ordinary people, especially blue-collar working class people, have quite legitimate concerns about immigration, and the effect on wages in particular, that are just too often dismissed as 'racist'. A welfare state can't exist without borders. The Labour Party in the UK are now saying things to chime with that, because they know it's what ordinary voters want to hear.

Unbelievable.

A nice interview like that & the racists have managed to wheel out their racism.

And people who are apparently "anti-racist" are encouraging racist discourse just to be mean to a singer who is trying to get his life back on course after a sustained demonisation.

I think it's a topic that the 'far right' like to exploit. That is clear throughout recent global history. But it's also clear that ordinary people, especially blue-collar working class people, have quite legitimate concerns about immigration, and the effect on wages in particular, that are just too often dismissed as 'racist'. A welfare state can't exist without borders. The Labour Party in the UK are now saying things to chime with that, because they know it's what ordinary voters want to hear.
The border is an issue here because we literally cannot afford this as a country. Also, a lot of drugs are being moved over the border ie the fentanyl crisis and of course, child trafficking. People want these things to go away, rightfully so. Financially, we really cannot do it either. The thing that does not get talked about here, because it can't be talked about, because it's illegal is that people will hire people who are here illegally and pay them a fair wage that will enable them to live here, send some home to their family and eventually try to get them here as well. People do help at their own risk. These are Morrissey's precious Mexicans, they are not mistreated here. I literally know someone who paid a ransom for an employee's family member who was kidnapped by a drug cartel in Mexico. I cannot make this stuff up.
Regular people do not pay attention to the far right here, the people who want the white christian nation are the far right and their numbers are so small, they are so insignificant. It's really just a political slur, unless you are saying things like you want to preserve national identity, which Moz seems to want to do. There is a vast difference between

I want national identity and culture preserved
and
I am fine with immigrants and immigration, I just want them to come here legally

Unbelievable.

A nice interview like that & the racists have managed to wheel out their racism.

And people who are apparently "anti-racist" are encouraging racist discourse just to be mean to a singer who is trying to get his life back on course after a sustained demonisation.

So do you think people who don't agree with your view are racists?

"Made by the People" ♥️ Excellent conversation. I agree with all answers. He looks marvelous 😍 Thanks to all involved for pulling this interview together. 🙏

Why can't Morrissey be asked about his actual profession? Why does it always have to end in a general reckoning with the evil external influences?

What about Boz Boorer?
How do you deal with people leaving the band in general?
Who will be the producer of the next record?
How does the influence of California affect your lyrics and music?
Don't you think that your whole back catalog should be worked on properly?
Autobiography part II?

Why can't Morrissey be asked about his actual profession? Why does it always have to end in a general reckoning with the evil external influences?

What about Boz Boorer?
How do you deal with people leaving the band in general?
Who will be the producer of the next record?
How does the influence of California affect your lyrics and music?
Don't you think that your whole back catalog should be worked on properly?
Autobiography part II?
The "interview" is just a means to an end. Things aren't happy in the Morrissey garden and he needs to get things off his chest. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Fiona was handed the questions as they entered the sitting area of the theatre.

There's one thing I don't quite understand - if you enjoy being 'different' and 'controversial', why not challenge oneself instead of surrounding oneself with people who do everything but that?..

Aren't interviews supposed to provide some kind of insight (whether positive or negative)?

The purpose of this one truly eludes me.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Fiona was handed the questions as they entered the sitting area of the theatre.
Unfortunately, it seems so. Yes. He should feel comfortable and say the things that are important to him. Does that give me a different image of him or does it put the lapses of the past into perspective? No.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom