'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' and 'Treat Me Like A Human Being' vinyl rips

Just curious which song you would have dropped Adam.

Probably "Bengali In Platforms", but I'd still want that released sooner or later. It could have been the bonus track (U.S.) in place of "Hairdresser on Fire", but that wasn't the norm at the time.

Re: 'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' and 'Treat Me Like A Human Being' vinyl rips.

Thanks for the links.
But I gotta say, these are pretty much boring. I can see why they were scraped..

These really are the bottom of the barrel, aren't they? Moz has gone about it the wrong way of releasing all the odds and sods. These two tracks on a 2nd disc of a remastered Viva Hate along with the other VH related demos/outtakes would have put them in a better context. As an artist with a reputation for quality b-sides, this really stinks of a cash in.

Thanks for uploading.

Terrible songs though!

Many thanks!

While nice to hear a bit of songs that weren't, these are very unfinished. Treat Me Like a Human Being in particular has promise, but they both just fizzle out into nothing. Has he ever released anything as rough as these before?

Would rather have pro live tracks from Wolverhampton than these demos, for an official release.

While nice to hear a bit of songs that weren't, these are very unfinished. Treat Me Like a Human Being in particular has promise, but they both just fizzle out into nothing. Has he ever released anything as rough as these before?

Would rather have pro live tracks from Wolverhampton than these demos, for an official release.

I would like to think these might have been what Vini Reilly had in mind when he was thinking of Street's "slight" chord structures.

Perhaps these are just curtain-raisers for the rumored, deluxe edition of "Viva Hate." Clearly this is a drum machine and not Andrew Paresi. Supposedly, a full studio take Safe, Warm Lancashire Home was recorded.

What I find irksome is that he'll cast these scraps out yet he wouldn't include the much more complete alternate "Miraval" tracks on the Southpaw Grammar deluxe OR either I Know Who I Love or Kit on Maladjusted Readjusted.

All petty bitchery aside, many thanks to the original poster for their generosity!

Cheers,
Jamie

I would like to think these might have been what Vini Reilly had in mind when he was thinking of Street's "slight" chord structures.

Perhaps these are just curtain-raisers for the rumored, deluxe edition of "Viva Hate." Clearly this is a drum machine and not Andrew Paresi. Supposedly, a full studio take Safe, Warm Lancashire Home was recorded.

All petty bitchery aside, many thanks to the original poster for their generosity!

Cheers,
Jamie

That's a good point actually. In 'Mozipedia' Paresi refers to playing on 'Safe..' so a full studio recording, even unpolished, must exist. Both these tracks sound, to me, like the 4-track cassette demos that Street would have recorded himself and mailed to Morrissey to add his guide vocals to. The sleeve credits don't feature any musician listings other than 'Produced and Engineered by Stephen Street'
In that respect at least I find them historically interesting as these must constitute the very earliest fruits of the Street-Morrissey collaboration, probably worked on in October 1987 in the immediate aftermath of the Split. Morrissey's vocals sure sound like a man floored by fate.

I really love these songs. Yes, they are stripped down and under-produced, but they have that delicacy that allows Morrissey's voice to determine the shape of the sound. I thought the same about Lifeguard and Happy lovers. It's great to hear more Morrissey gems unearthed. I hope there are more to come.

Thanks to Eraserhead. Finally someone who writes something postive about the oldest Morrissey solo-recordings (demos) to date. I will resist till my package arrives one day. But reading only negative reviews is really hard to take. No one knows if only EMI is responsible for the quality control and not every word his masters voice ever sang was a masterpiece. Or maybe they save the best for last (Vauxhall legacy edition with "Sharp bend fast Car" on it)?

Last edited:
thanks joe!! i have used your WAVs and cleaned them up a little, removing some hiss and pop, and boost the gain a bit and ripped them in iTunes Plus (256 kbps .mp4) they can be downloaded here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q2f05l

i also have the "remastered" WAV files if anyone is interested...

I love it!:love:thank you Dave:flowers:.And thanks joe(although through gritted teeth:D)

thanks joe!! i have used your WAVs and cleaned them up a little, removing some hiss and pop, and boost the gain a bit and ripped them in iTunes Plus (256 kbps .mp4) they can be downloaded here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q2f05l

i also have the "remastered" WAV files if anyone is interested...

Thanks a million Devoted :thumb:
That's exactly what I expected somebody on here would do; someone with more nous than I.
I was going to try and remove some of the debris but I figured, as a first-timer, I'd leave it to someone with more know-how.

I'd be very interested in the "remastered" WAV files by the way.

I love the simple, almost quivering sound of his voice (especially on "Treat Me Like A Human Being"). Three words could save my life, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom