Saddleworth Moor ghost tale in Morrissey's book

lemon jelly

What do you make of it?

If the figure was indeed completely "slate grey" from head to toe as Morrissey states i'd say it was definitely a ghost. Though, erm, i've never seen a ghost so i'm not really qualified to say..So maybe i should stop here. But the gut feeling i get from the story is it was indeed a ghost. Or maybe i just want to believe it was a ghost to make the story interesting and worth telling.

I'm of the opinion it takes some sort of awareness of the pysche to see ghosts or spirits. My mind isn't and never really has been tuned in to a state where i may see something ghostly.Spending an hour or so in the surroundings of Saddleworth Moor on a dark bleak night miles from civilisation may have tuned Morrissey and friends' minds to a state of becoming able and aware of seeing something paranormal. They would have unwittingly "tuned in" as a result of their surroundings?

Morrissey could have been fooled by his imagination, but then all of them saw the figure . Could a group of three or four people all have been fooled by their imagination at the same moment?

Found since reading the book that Morrissey has recounted the story on more than one occasion in the past but it was new to me

Morrissey has spoken about this incident before, and of course a longer version of this tale has already been published as the chapter "The Bleak Moor Lies" a title which of course, leaves you wondering if Morrissey is toying with us.

I live not far from where this is supposed to happen. A thing that I wonder about is that he describes a journey by car from the Black Hill to Marsden which is along the Pennine Way. This is a walking route, not a road. Nowadays it is gated off but, even if it wasn't back then, I'm really not sure that it is a route that can be driven. I wonder if Morrissey has looked at a map and mistaken it for a road. That wouldn't necessarily mean the whole thing is fictional, but it possibly isn't 100% reliable as a detailed account.

In the night and under car lights, its not suprisng if someone looks 'slate grey' from head to toe.

Personally, it sounds like Moz got a case of the spooks and ended up abandoning some poor lost sod out on the moor. Hopefully the kid in question survived. It would be nice if the story gained enough legs, and they heard about it and came forward. "Ohh - so YOU were the asshole who wouldn't stop for me when I was lost on the moor and tried to flag you down?"

It's a great story, but if it's true it doesn't paint Morrissey in a very compassionate light. If it was an injured pigeon he would at least have got out of the car and given it some bread and water.

In the night and under car lights, its not suprisng if someone looks 'slate grey' from head to toe.

Personally, it sounds like Moz got a case of the spooks and ended up abandoning some poor lost sod out on the moor. Hopefully the kid in question survived. It would be nice if the story gained enough legs, and they heard about it and came forward. "Ohh - so YOU were the asshole who wouldn't stop for me when I was lost on the moor and tried to flag you down?"

It's a great story, but if it's true it doesn't paint Morrissey in a very compassionate light. If it was an injured pigeon he would at least have got out of the car and given it some bread and water.

But, it was not an injured pigeon or any other such animal.
And, if it was not a ghost, then it may have been a trap set by fellow man to snare some unsuspecting "good Samaritans...."
One never knows with the human race. xx

I disagree. As been stated above, it might have been a trap set up by robbers/murderers . See the story which appeared later on in the book (I think it was related to the show where Bowie joined Moz on stage in 1992) : a female fan who went to the show never returned home. Her body was later discovered, and it was revealed that on her way home, on that fateful day, she stopped in the middle of the road to help someone who had signaled her to help him. Frankly, I can't recall any stories involving gangs of pigeons luring innocent human beings, setting them a trap ;) .

Moreover, (back to the ghost story) they phoned the police as soon as they found a telephone booth. So, it's actually the police's fault and not Moz and co.'s for dismissing the report and not helping the poor sod ( if of course there ever was one at all).

Back
Top Bottom