Sacha Baron Cohen cast as Freddie Mercury in biopic

The Seeker of Good Songs

Sacha Baron Cohen cast as Freddie Mercury in biopic

Of all the recent musical biopics making their way down the pipeline, the recent announcement (via We Listen For You) of Freddie Mercury’s life story coming to the silver screen may be the most potentially mesmerizing. While no other singer could fill his shoes, the actor set to portray the Queen frontman should fill you with glee: Sacha Baron Cohen. And cue the Borat impersonations…

FREDDDDDDIIIEIEIEIE-260x260.jpg

The film, which will be produced in part by the three remaining Queen members (Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor), tells the story of “the band’s formative years, leading up to Queen’s appearance at Live Aid in 1985.” The film will also explore Mercury’s sexuality along with his status as one of the first famous AIDS victims.
No other details are available yet, however, the production has cleared the rights to several Queen songs, including “You’re My Best Friend”, “Another One Bites the Dust”, and “Fat Bottom Girls”. No word yet whether Cohen will pull a Joaquin Phoenix (sing, not make a shitty documentary) or just lip-sync.
The film doesn’t have a release date, but they’re pushing it to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Mercury’s November 1991 death. As always, stay tuned for more news on the production as it’s announced.

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/09/17/sacha-baron-cohen-cast-as-freddie-mercury-in-biopic/

I can see the physical similarity (slightly), however I would
hope Mr Cohen would give the part the respect it deserves.
I'd hate to think he was mocking Freddie.....
Seriously I think perhaps it's not a wise choice and it would
be better to hire an unknown actor/singer for this part as
Mr Cohen's previous antics may well get in the way of people's
perception of his role as Freddie Mercury...:straightface:

The story is bobbins.

No actor anywhere would agree to do a film without seeing the script first & for this it's currently being written.

Don't be surprised if someone else plays him come the time.

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury in Queen film

Shooting to begin next year on film that has co-operation of Mercury's estate and three surviving Queen members

6a00e5536294b788330134878554b0970c-pi

He has played a mankini-wearing Kazakh and an Austrian fashion journalist with a penchant for anal bleaching, but Sacha Baron Cohen's next role might be his most outrageous yet – and for once, it's not fictional.
The Borat star will play Freddie Mercury in a film about the singer's glory days as the frontman of Queen, the band's guitarist Brian May confirmed today. "We have Sacha Baron Cohen, which will probably be a shock to a lot of people, but he's been talking with us for a long time," May told the BBC's
Hardtalk show.
The untitled film is being written by Peter Morgan, the British screenwriter behind The Queen, Frost/Nixon and The Last King of Scotland, producers said.
Read the full story on Guardian.co.uk

from: http://991.typepad.com/991sleevenotes/2010/09/sacha-baron-cohen-to-play-freddie-mercury-in-queen-film.htm

Genius casting-- if, that is, they're going to do a "loose" biopic, allowing for, shall we say, an eccentric presentation of the facts. I'm thinking of a freewheeling production along the lines of "Twenty Four Hour Party People". He'd be perfect for that. Otherwise, if this is going to be a semi-serious Acting Role For A Serious Thespian, he's going to bomb harder than "Flash Gordon".

Is he going to do his own singing? Good luck trying to get anywhere near Freddie's range.

Back
Top Bottom