S&G - New Years Day?

Yep went in Devilles quite a bit too on a Saturday night....I avoided the Bucking Bronco though, big time:sick:

Yeah the venue was a dive but the music was top :guitar:

I went on it twice...was thrown off quite bad the second time:tears: and after that, give it a wide birth.
Why was it that the more pissed you got, the more you believed you could ride it better:D

Jukebox Jury

I went on it twice...was thrown off quite bad the second time:tears: and after that, give it a wide birth.
Why was it that the more pissed you got, the more you believed you could ride it better:D

Jukebox Jury

Yeah i know, you think you can do anything when your full of Booze, my friend made a B line for it everytime we were in there!!! it was hilarious!!! and she lasted all of 5 seconds each time:lbf:

Yeah i know, you think you can do anything when your full of Booze, my friend made a B line for it everytime we were in there!!! it was hilarious!!! and she lasted all of 5 seconds each time:lbf:

Maybe the S&G could get one in, there's plenty of room downstairs:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

The Bucking Bronco was in Lazy Lil's, just through the doors from De Villes. Remember, you had to walk through that dark corridor (Coppers Corridor) with about 5 couples eating each others tongues out?

Last edited:
The Bucking Bronco was in Lazy Lil's, just through the doors from De Villes. Remember, you had to walk through that dark corridor (Coppers Corridor) with about 5 couples eating each others tongues out?

Yes, you are right it was two seperate places but you could go between the two at will, but Lazy Lil's? Wasn't it 'Cellar Vie':confused:
Or just same place different name?

Jukebox Jury

I was a regular at Deville's in the late 80's. Me and my mate trying fruitlessy to attract the attention of the opposite sex week in and week out. We used to stagger home every Friday down to Babylons pizza where we would sit in All Saints park with our pizzas pissed as rats discussing our on-going failure. Every night out in Deville's was proper 'How Soon Is Now?' material.
Great music in there though, but the smell of greasy frying food from that corner of the club was horrendous. I never ate from there, what on earth were they selling?
Memories are hazy but the one thing that stands out and is still true to this day is that out of the blue shock that hits when the opening chords of Bigmouth Strikes Again starts. Where have al the years gone? :thumb:
I hope I can make the February S&G :)

I bet there are few on here that used to reside in Devilles, the Venue etc....the late 80's was a great time for Manchester music and the clubs, and I also remember that terrible smell of food being cooked in Devilles....we never had anything to eat in there, we would always sway our way to 'The Star Of India' for a sit in curry!!! :lbf: and torment the life out of the poor waiter dealing with us, by asking for a left handed fork, and all the other usual nonsense stuff, I don't know how they put up with us....I think that place burnt down, nothing to do with us though!!!

I tell you what song I played not too long ago that took me right back to Devilles...The Fall.. 'Big New Prinz' yeah great times

Used to go in Legends on a Thursday night too, always got there for happy hour so we didn't miss out on 6 bottles of pils :)sick:) for about £3 :lbf:...just can't drink that stuff now!!!

The good old days eh? ..... I hope to be at the S&G sometime soon :)

I was a regular at Deville's in the late 80's. Me and my mate trying fruitlessy to attract the attention of the opposite sex week in and week out. We used to stagger home every Friday down to Babylons pizza where we would sit in All Saints park with our pizzas pissed as rats discussing our on-going failure. Every night out in Deville's was proper 'How Soon Is Now?' material.
Great music in there though, but the smell of greasy frying food from that corner of the club was horrendous. I never ate from there, what on earth were they selling?
Memories are hazy but the one thing that stands out and is still true to this day is that out of the blue shock that hits when the opening chords of Bigmouth Strikes Again starts. Where have al the years gone? :thumb:

The Babylon Pizza! I remember it well. My wife (then girlfriend) lived nearby in halls of residence. Then another place opened next door but one and they had a price war. Cheap as chips!

Yes, you are right it was two seperate places but you could go between the two at will, but Lazy Lil's? Wasn't it 'Cellar Vie':confused:
Or just same place different name?

Jukebox Jury

Celler Vie was a seperate place just down Lloyd Street. I think it had a slightly older clientelle?

I bet there are few on here that used to reside in Devilles, the Venue etc....the late 80's was a great time for Manchester music and the clubs, and I also remember that terrible smell of food being cooked in Devilles....we never had anything to eat in there, we would always sway our way to 'The Star Of India' for a sit in curry!!! :lbf: and torment the life out of the poor waiter dealing with us, by asking for a left handed fork, and all the other usual nonsense stuff, I don't know how they put up with us....I think that place burnt down, nothing to do with us though!!!

I tell you what song I played not too long ago that took me right back to Devilles...The Fall.. 'Big New Prinz' yeah great times

Used to go in Legends on a Thursday night too, always got there for happy hour so we didn't miss out on 6 bottles of pils :)sick:) for about £3 :lbf:...just can't drink that stuff now!!!

The good old days eh? ..... I hope to be at the S&G sometime soon :)

I first went to Babylon after an Inspiral Carpets gig at the International 2, November 89 - walked it there with a mate from Plymouth Grove, scoffed the pizza and then walked it home to Whalley Range:eek:

Celler Vie was a seperate place just down Lloyd Street. I think it had a slightly older clientelle?

Thanks...... it needs someone to write a book, like a tour guide, as to where all these places were:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

I remember the Star Of India, it was above The Banshee, another shit-hole on the usual Friday night roster for us. Got so wrecked in there one night me and my aforementioned sad mate fell asleep at the table about 9.30pm and were abruptly woken by bouncers at 2.30am (never pulled that night either!). Many a night of savage debauchery in Legends on a Thursday and Monday night at the Ritz with 70p a pint. I reckon the Ritz Monday night was the best though. Everyone totally wrecked, punks, crusties, goths, mods, skins, rockabilly, alternative and evertything in there. They used to play half an hour of ska probably to keep the skinheads happy but the bastards still nicked everybody's beer while we were dancing on the springy dancefloor. My mate was so pissed in Babylons pizza shop one night that he had to point at the picture above the counter to order his food. I remember being ripped-off by the guy behind the counter one night but I was too inebriated to put it into words to complain. Probably just as well that I can barely remember half of the stuff we probably got up to. :crazy:

I remember the Star Of India, it was above The Banshee, another shit-hole on the usual Friday night roster for us. Got so wrecked in there one night me and my aforementioned sad mate fell asleep at the table about 9.30pm and were abruptly woken by bouncers at 2.30am (never pulled that night either!). Many a night of savage debauchery in Legends on a Thursday and Monday night at the Ritz with 70p a pint. I reckon the Ritz Monday night was the best though. Everyone totally wrecked, punks, crusties, goths, mods, skins, rockabilly, alternative and evertything in there. They used to play half an hour of ska probably to keep the skinheads happy but the bastards still nicked everybody's beer while we were dancing on the springy dancefloor. My mate was so pissed in Babylons pizza shop one night that he had to point at the picture above the counter to order his food. I remember being ripped-off by the guy behind the counter one night but I was too inebriated to put it into words to complain. Probably just as well that I can barely remember half of the stuff we probably got up to. :crazy:

I liked the Banshee, the downstairs punky bit, not the ground floor spandex rock scene (though some of those girls in the tight spandex trousers:horny:)
Does anyone remember Cloud 9?
Opposite the Royal Exchange on Cross Street - a bit like Corbieres, in the basement but it went on forever, lots of nooks and crannies. The exit was on Back Pool Street.
Again, mid 80's punk and indie.
I used to go alternative Friday nights to The Banshee and Cloud 9.
Also, what was 5th Avenue called before it was 5th Ave? Went there once and a load of City fans had come out from the Cyprus Tavern and were about to kick off with us:eek: - fortunately one of them recognised my face from going to the games and he saved the day:pray:

Jukebox Jury

Do any of you remember The Gallery on Peter Street? It was another dive, but I used to work there in the early 80s, and all the local up and coming bands played and drank in there. Great times indeed!
I remember well the Ritz on Monday nights, Deville's and the Banshee. :)
Rafters on Oxford Road was good too!

Do any of you remember The Gallery on Peter Street? It was another dive, but I used to work there in the early 80s, and all the local up and coming bands played and drank in there. Great times indeed!
I remember well the Ritz on Monday nights, Deville's and the Banshee. :)
Rafters on Oxford Road was good too!

Come on Michelle......
Tell us about seeing REM in the Gallery on their 1st UK tour.... that's what you really want to say isn't it:p:thumb:
PS say ''Hello'' to everyone tomorrow night for me:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

5th Avenue was called Legends before back in the 80's. I remember The Gallery but I never went in there, I seem to remember it was poulated by the Moss Side and Cheetham Hill gangs and they used to have a hip-hop night there around '86-87. I never actually started going to any of the clubs regularly until about '88 because I wasn't old enough to get in. I remember being turned away from the Hacienda for being too young. The alternative clubs were a great relief as I'd taken up drinking and was finding myself getting unwillingly dragged in 'Sports Bars' in Fallowfield and Chorlton (The Oaks, The Sandpiper, The Snooty Fox to name but a few) with pink and blue neon lights, video jukeboxes and loads of drinken, fighting teenagers every week who wanted to dance to Stock, Aitken and Waterman numbers at some local disco afterwards. I remember going to what I believe was the opening night at Rockworld, it was New Years Eve 1990, I think. The Hac were charging 25 quid a ticket to get in and Rockworld were charging a fiver. It became my favourite hang-out for years after and I think Devilles may have even closed by that point, I'm not sure. So my Friday night routine became The Salisbury, The Subway and then Rockworld. And I vaguely remember Cloud 9 existing but never went there - didn't that become the Konspiracy club or am I thinking of something else?

5th Avenue was called Legends before back in the 80's. I remember The Gallery but I never went in there, I seem to remember it was poulated by the Moss Side and Cheetham Hill gangs and they used to have a hip-hop night there around '86-87. I never actually started going to any of the clubs regularly until about '88 because I wasn't old enough to get in. I remember being turned away from the Hacienda for being too young. The alternative clubs were a great relief as I'd taken up drinking and was finding myself getting unwillingly dragged in 'Sports Bars' in Fallowfield and Chorlton (The Oaks, The Sandpiper, The Snooty Fox to name but a few) with pink and blue neon lights, video jukeboxes and loads of drinken, fighting teenagers every week who wanted to dance to Stock, Aitken and Waterman numbers at some local disco afterwards. I remember going to what I believe was the opening night at Rockworld, it was New Years Eve 1990, I think. The Hac were charging 25 quid a ticket to get in and Rockworld were charging a fiver. It became my favourite hang-out for years after and I think Devilles may have even closed by that point, I'm not sure. So my Friday night routine became The Salisbury, The Subway and then Rockworld. And I vaguely remember Cloud 9 existing but never went there - didn't that become the Konspiracy club or am I thinking of something else?

Yes I remember The Gallery, but never went in there, everyone used to rave about the Hacienda but I just wasn't that taken by it, preferring The Venue, maybe its because the DJ Leo (Wonder what happened to him after the Venue?) played all our music, Pestered the life out of him too haha... I don't think we left the dance floor from entering the club until leaving
Its funny as I used to go in the Salisbury too, I remember going flying on the approach down to that pub one night in the snow, haha... quite a bit of a slope if I remember correctly, anyway no broken bones and the night continued!!!

Loved it in Corbieres, The sound of 'Summer Breeze' was always crashing out of the jukebox as we arrived, it just put you in the mood for a great night, some good music on that jukebox, Wonder if that place is still going?

I went in cloud 9 a few times, and also '42nd Street' was a good night, which if im thinking correctly is still open and plays the usual Indie stuff

Does anyone remember 'The Hangout? on hanging Ditch? it was down in the basement and got closed down on fire regulations, apparently there were no fire escapes down there, I remember that place being steaming hot, and within 15 minutes you were sweating like a pig, no point in taking time on your hair as it would just flop over your face in no time at all

didn't the Hacienada turn into the Konspiracy? So many changes have happened I can't keep up. :confused:

Happy New Year! I have a sore Head :(

Come on Michelle......
Tell us about seeing REM in the Gallery on their 1st UK tour.... that's what you really want to say isn't it:p:thumb:
PS say ''Hello'' to everyone tomorrow night for me:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

If you insist JJ! ;)
The Gallery was a tiny venue and had local and breaking bands on almost every night of the week. Downstairs, below the venue, was the nightclub where the Moss Side / Cheetham Hill Hip Hop people went! Everyone went through the same front door, but the punks, goths and arty types turned right and the disco dancers went downstairs! I worked on the door some nights and it was quite amusing to see so many different types of people at once! :)
There was a small wine bar called Toppers attached too, and next door was the Topkapi kebab shop where we inevitably ended up at 2am. I used to work in a shop on John Dalton Street from 9-5, then run round to Toppers and do the bar in there from 5.30 to 10pm, then through to the venue bar until 1 or 2am! Almost every night! God knows how! I'd die after 24 hours these days! :lbf:

Oh yes..REM! The first and only queue outside! I remember manager Peter being absolutely stunned that there were 200 people waiting to get in! A busy night was usually 50 or so punters! When REM played, the Gallery was stuffed full - well over the fire regulation max of 300! - and they were so loud and massive that they blew up the PA system and shorted all the electrics and put the whole place into darkness for a while while the poor sound engineer frantically tried to fix it! Certainly a memorable night! :)

Will definitely say "hello" for you JJ - have a good holiday! x

Yes I remember The Gallery, but never went in there, everyone used to rave about the Hacienda but I just wasn't that taken by it, preferring The Venue, maybe its because the DJ Leo (Wonder what happened to him after the Venue?) played all our music, Pestered the life out of him too haha... I don't think we left the dance floor from entering the club until leaving
Its funny as I used to go in the Salisbury too, I remember going flying on the approach down to that pub one night in the snow, haha... quite a bit of a slope if I remember correctly, anyway no broken bones and the night continued!!!

Loved it in Corbieres, The sound of 'Summer Breeze' was always crashing out of the jukebox as we arrived, it just put you in the mood for a great night, some good music on that jukebox, Wonder if that place is still going?

I went in cloud 9 a few times, and also '42nd Street' was a good night, which if im thinking correctly is still open and plays the usual Indie stuff

Does anyone remember 'The Hangout? on hanging Ditch? it was down in the basement and got closed down on fire regulations, apparently there were no fire escapes down there, I remember that place being steaming hot, and within 15 minutes you were sweating like a pig, no point in taking time on your hair as it would just flop over your face in no time at all

didn't the Hacienada turn into the Konspiracy? So many changes have happened I can't keep up. :confused:

Happy New Year! I have a sore Head :(

Konspiracy was on the outside of the Corn Exchange (now The Triangle), the bit facing Urbis - in the 70's it was Pips. If you read the boooks on early Morrissey / Marr, it is the club that had the 'Roxy Room' where all the Bowie / Roxy Music fans went in. It was a basement club - is that what you meant by the one on Hanging Ditch Helen?
Konspiracy was the first of the acid clubs to be raided and shut.

If you insist JJ! ;)
The Gallery was a tiny venue and had local and breaking bands on almost every night of the week. Downstairs, below the venue, was the nightclub where the Moss Side / Cheetham Hill Hip Hop people went! Everyone went through the same front door, but the punks, goths and arty types turned right and the disco dancers went downstairs! I worked on the door some nights and it was quite amusing to see so many different types of people at once! :)
There was a small wine bar called Toppers attached too, and next door was the Topkapi kebab shop where we inevitably ended up at 2am. I used to work in a shop on John Dalton Street from 9-5, then run round to Toppers and do the bar in there from 5.30 to 10pm, then through to the venue bar until 1 or 2am! Almost every night! God knows how! I'd die after 24 hours these days! :lbf:

Oh yes..REM! The first and only queue outside! I remember manager Peter being absolutely stunned that there were 200 people waiting to get in! A busy night was usually 50 or so punters! When REM played, the Gallery was stuffed full - well over the fire regulation max of 300! - and they were so loud and massive that they blew up the PA system and shorted all the electrics and put the whole place into darkness for a while while the poor sound engineer frantically tried to fix it! Certainly a memorable night! :)

Will definitely say "hello" for you JJ - have a good holiday! x

Thanks Michelle:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Konspiracy was on the outside of the Corn Exchange (now The Triangle), the bit facing Urbis - in the 70's it was Pips. If you read the boooks on early Morrissey / Marr, it is the club that had the 'Roxy Room' where all the Bowie / Roxy Music fans went in. It was a basement club - is that what you meant by the one on Hanging Ditch Helen?
Konspiracy was the first of the acid clubs to be raided and shut.

Thanks Michelle:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I thought Konspiracy rang a bell, I used to go in 'pips' but when it changed its name to 'Thursdays' I was too young for the pips days but a great club...the Roxy room was awesome, but pips was on 'Fennel Street' just around the corner from the corn exchange...'the Hangout was next to the triangle, it was called 'Isadoras' at some stage...Dave Booth DJ'd in there but they played mostly psychedelic music :)

Back
Top Bottom