Ryan Adams on "Well I Wonder"

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2017 (read-only)' started by davidt, Feb 19, 2017.

By davidt on Feb 19, 2017 at 4:52 AM
  1. davidt

davidt Administrator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Link from Keith:

Ryan Adams, Our Valentine's Day Guest DJ, Addresses Love And Lonesome Roads - NPR

Excerpt:

On The Smiths' "Well I Wonder":

"I think that he is describing that unbelievable force of extreme longing... it's the most romantic feeling. This is, in my opinion, probably the greatest song I know. I think he's describing that unbelievable force of extreme longing, and it's the most romantic feeling — it's the perfect storm of just utter romance. Every color is as bright as it could be."

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2017 (read-only)' started by davidt, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Who could possibly care?
    2. marred
      marred
      This is a guy who thinks Taylor Swift is a seriously good songwriter and singer.
    3. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      [video]
      • Like Like x 4
    4. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Ryan Adams went on to be a very respected photographer. Even took some photo's of Moz at one point.
    5. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Ryan Adams is a great, prolific songwriter.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Musician
      Musician
      He still can be a nice person and a great songwriter with a valid opinion on The Smiths. I mean...I don't see much difference between praising Taylor Swift and Jobriath.
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I love Ryan Adams. He's been talking about the smiths and morrissey since heart breaker if not before. Talked a lot about them on his last album. As to Taylor swift I remember that video of Patrick Stewart reading Taylor swifts lyrics. Was suprised he was a fan
    9. gonzax
      gonzax
      What I can't understand is why Morrissey has never played that song live. It is one of the greatest songs ever written, up there with There is a light.
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      No idea why he's never played it. I wonder if anyone's ever asked him or johnny for that matter
    11. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I don't think Ryan should be shat on for liking Taylor Swift (even though I am not a fan of her music). It was actually sort of brilliant that Ryan covered 1989 in a vaguely Smiths style given Morrissey's proclivity for covering female pop singers. Ryan genuinely loves the Smiths.. which is why I know he exists.. I'm glad I do. He's a great songwriter, and he does the Smiths legacy proud.

He really nails that idea about longing being the most romantic feeling. I tend to go a bit morbid with Well I Wonder.. Unloveable, in my mind, is the greatest song about longing.. but.. you know.. to each their own.. Morrissey is the master of capturing that feeling.

~K~
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      There is a difference between Taylor Swift and Jobriath. Her music is much better.
      • Troll Troll x 2
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Reply from Ryan:

And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
      Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
      I shake it off, I shake it off
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    14. javert
      javert
      It's one of those songs which wouldn't run well live, musically and practically - No matter the emotion, afraid it's a studio exclusive.
    15. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Yeah I think Well I Wonder is the only track pre-Strangeways that The Smiths never played live.
      I wonder why also. I wanted to ask Johnny Marr at his book signing, but had more important things to say in the 30secs allocated
      Even Asleep got an outing once
    16. Quando quando quando
      Quando quando quando
      Well, I wonder.:rolleyes:
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I think you'd just need the right spot in the set list. Maybe some subtle stage effect to help the mood like with Jack the Ripper
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Quando quando quando
      Quando quando quando
      There is no doubt in my mind that Moz could do this song live and it would be brilliant. Don't know why he didn't until now.
      Perhaps shorten it a bit.
      The band can deliver this song.

Arguments about expressing emotions he no longer has are irrelevant cause he had them once and it still is in his memory.
      So he can delve into them again and express them.

Many Smiths and Moz-fans like this song and it means so much to them.
      And I surely belief it means or meant a lot to him.
      Hope he does this song at the planned concerts.
      Even only once would be unbelievable!
    19. countthree
      countthree
      It's a wonderful song. Your heart has to be made of stone or you never suffered for love if you can listen to it without crying or choking. Imagine the feelings of the person who wrote it while he is singing it.
      • Like Like x 3