"Rubber Rings: Johnny Marr's Favourite Albums" - The Quietus

In The Quietus' Baker's dozen Johnny reveals his 12 favourite records, the records that shaped him.
Among them the album he was playing constantly during the recording of The Queen is Dead.
http://thequietus.com/articles/18078-johnny-marr-favourite-albums-interview

kinda interesting if unsuprising though im very very surprised patti smith wasnt mentioned. also kinda curious about the soul influence since he seemed to rail against its influence on modern rock/pop

And no Talking Heads album? I've always thought Johnny was a big fan of them, which really pleased me. I consider David Byrne to be one of the very very few geniuses ever produced by rock music.

And no Talking Heads album? I've always thought Johnny was a big fan of them, which really pleased me. I consider David Byrne to be one of the very very few geniuses ever produced by rock music.

i agree. hes amazing on many levels

In The Quietus' Baker's dozen Johnny reveals his 12 favourite records, the records that shaped him.

Among them the album he was playing constantly during the recording of The Queen is Dead.

"Rubber Rings: Johnny Marr's Favourite Albums" - The Quietus
As he embarks on a world tour, Johnny Marr talks to John Freeman about how his 13 favourite albums have provided career-spanning inspiration for everything from The Smiths to his latest solo record, Playland

Excerpts:

The Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads
...Not just in terms of how the band look, but the evidence is there in the version of Marvin Gaye's 'Hitch Hike', which obviously the Velvets chopped on 'There She Goes Again' - and I used on 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'.

There was a point where I was into The Stones more than any other band on the planet. I found out everything there was to find out about them - about the band, about Andrew Oldham and how they made their records. That investigation was really good for me. When I formed The Smiths, they were probably the biggest influence in terms of the politics and the blueprint for a band, including the dynamic between the guitarist and the singer. When I was trying to get The Smiths together, I took the behaviour of Andrew Oldham and Brian Jones in their resourcefulness, desperation and ingenuity as the MO of The Stones as a working unit, as a source of inspiration - which was a pretty unusual thing to do in 1982.

The Velvet Underground - VU
...I played 'I Can't Stand It' so many times that it stuck in my subconscious and that came out as the inspiration for the rhythm part on the song 'The Queen Is Dead'. So, the VU album was what I was listening to almost exclusively before I started writing the album The Queen Is Dead.

Buzzcocks - Another Music In A Different Kitchen
...Buzzcocks made modern guitar music that was appropriately punky but sounded razor-sharp on the radio in the middle of such a load of mainstream nonsense, which was a great source of pride for many Mancunians. That, coupled with the aesthetic of the band and the way they did their sleeve artwork and the way they dressed, was a very potent combination. Buzzcocks influenced The Smiths massively in the way we approached our record sleeves and our choice of independent record company - because of the Buzzcocks we took on a Mancunian DIY ethic, whilst being in the charts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to be petty but, again, it's wrong in "General Discussion" and it's wrong on the main page.

kinda interesting if unsuprising though im very very surprised patti smith wasnt mentioned. also kinda curious about the soul influence since he seemed to rail against its influence on modern rock/pop

I don't think he has to qualify every one of his favourite albums to a website. I'm sure his list of favourites goes way beyond thirteen LPs.

Last edited:
I don't think he has to qualify every one of his favourite albums to a website. I'm sure his list of favourites goes way beyond thirteen LPs.

I don't think he has to either and nothing in my post suggested so. a lot of smiths songs follow patterns from patti smith and hes on record as loving the record so it surprised me he didn't mention it. he as much as says in the piece that he likes a lot and f music much of it modern

Everyone who frequents this site should thank God for Johnny Marr. You know Morrissey's Baker's Dozen would be littered with mostly un-listenable Jobriath and New York Dolls albums. If not for Johnny's musical acumen Morrissey, most likely (in my opinion), would not have ever had a career in music. And while I love most of Morrissey's solo stuff let's be real... his solo career is more of a chaser to the Smiths much more potent brand of music. Johnny engineered the sound that became the Smiths and that vehicle allowed us to discover Moz's lyrics. Not to say Johnny created that sound alone but I think he tempered some of Morrissey's, umm, odder musical instincts. Conversely, I'm sure Moz made suggestions that led Johnny into musical waters he may have only waded in previously. I mean they were both the Smiths and I don't think either one would have succeeded without the other but if not for Johnny I can almost guarantee none of us would even know who Morrissey is. He'd be some weirdo on disability living with his Mom listening to obscure records and writing letters to fanzines... or more likely in this day and age- he'd be an internet troll.

Everyone who frequents this site should thank God for Johnny Marr. You know Morrissey's Baker's Dozen would be littered with mostly un-listenable Jobriath and New York Dolls albums. If not for Johnny's musical acumen Morrissey, most likely (in my opinion), would not have ever had a career in music. And while I love most of Morrissey's solo stuff let's be real... his solo career is more of a chaser to the Smiths much more potent brand of music. Johnny engineered the sound that became the Smiths and that vehicle allowed us to discover Moz's lyrics. Not to say Johnny created that sound alone but I think he tempered some of Morrissey's, umm, odder musical instincts. Conversely, I'm sure Moz made suggestions that led Johnny into musical waters he may have only waded in previously. I mean they were both the Smiths and I don't think either one would have succeeded without the other but if not for Johnny I can almost guarantee none of us would even know who Morrissey is. He'd be some weirdo on disability living with his Mom listening to obscure records and writing letters to fanzines... or more likely in this day and age- he'd be an internet troll.
Thank you for the great laugh. So true, especially living with his mother.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i salute you sir

- - - Updated - - -

God i'm still laughing :rofl: really thank you....... On disability :rofl: a hug from me to you. I always thought myself that how can a man that listens to such utter crap, create so good music. Only Bowie, suede, the killers, buzzcocks and bolan, sparks and the velvet underground and nico have been artist of moz that i like.

....... Oh no i just got a terrifying vision of a old Morrissey in his mothers basement screaming "mom the crusts are not cut off the sandwich" But the truth is that he would have propably commited suicide

So I thank god everyday for getting moz and marr together. I love them both

Last edited by a moderator:

i do think the the smiths were more potent musically speaking but i also think that moz would have found a career niche in something if hadnt found him at his door. would either be successful or as successful without the other, no i agree, but i dont think that johnny made him sane mature enough to produce something in music or another related field. he would have found other people with other influences

Morrissey could have quite possible embarked on a singing carrer without Johnny but he would have never written as potent, brilliant songs as the ones with marr and the band would have never been as successful as the Smiths. The meeting between Morrissey and Johnny was an act of destiny

No! These are the only thirteen albums he owns. Whenever he receives an album that is not on this list, say as a birthday gift or for a wedding anniversary, he immediately burns them--carefully watching over the incarnating inferno making sure the offending LP is completely reduced to ash and no minor corner of the sleeve escapes the fire's wrath.He then throws the ashes into a giant vat of sulfuric acid and than his said vat stored inside a remote mountain in Nevada.

If you give him one of the 13 albums on the list though--this is a good thing--as Marr is building a giant fort out of excess copies of them. The fort is to be provide him sanctuary from the corrupting influence of other music and to provide a physical location in which to listen to these--and only these 13 albums. He actually doesn't even listen to his own music while record or playing it--he has noise canceling headphones playing on these thirteen albums on endless loop. In fact, he wears them at all times in case other people's voices in day to day conversation are too melodic or he overhears other music on a car commercial.

Everyone who frequents this site should thank God for Johnny Marr. You know Morrissey's Baker's Dozen would be littered with mostly un-listenable Jobriath and New York Dolls albums. If not for Johnny's musical acumen Morrissey, most likely (in my opinion), would not have ever had a career in music.

I am pretty sure they had fairly similar taste in music. In fact, I believe that's why the hit it off in the first place.

And Morrissey did release his baker's dozen recently, did he not? I seem to recall a lot of Velvet Underground, Patti Smiths Horses, and the New York Dolls--who are not unlistenable in the slightest. They both had Raw Power on them, did they not?

yeah mfte, but on this place a lot of people are gonna disagree with you, even tho deep down they know you are right. They just don't want to give too much credit to Johnny for Morrissey's career

The standards of this once great site are truly going down on a daily level.
If you have zero knowledge of musical history why bother?

I am pretty sure they had fairly similar taste in music. In fact, I believe that's why the hit it off in the first place.

And Morrissey did release his baker's dozen recently, did he not? I seem to recall a lot of Velvet Underground, Patti Smiths Horses, and the New York Dolls--who are not unlistenable in the slightest. They both had Raw Power on them, did they not?
Quite a bit of artist overlap with Marr's list.

http://thequietus.com/articles/04797-morrissey-s-supreme-13-favourite-albums?page=1

Last edited:

That's quite a tale you've spun there.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom