Rubber Ring demo

Thank you! A bit of disappointment that it fades out...

One big disappointment actually.
They have simply taken the version that has been circulating on the internet since 2009/10 and edited bits out, particularly towards the end where the tape sounds like it has been chewed up.
They have also removed some of the lyrics, and in a fairly shoddy way.
The best example is the bit in the original demo where Moz sings and when you are dancing and laughing, living and loving, which has now been edited to and when you are dancing and laughing and loving.
It's a real shame, I was looking forward to listening to this particular recording in pristine quality. I guess such thing does not exist, so they have used the best available source.

"The passing of time, and all of its many crimes" is also a change. It sounds pretty basic to me, not so many overdubs. And on first listen, it sounds sped up slightly.

Anyhoo, here's a link to a compressed MP3 about 1/25 of the original file size, that doesn't lose too much in quality...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mbp7my

Appreciated wav & mp3 - removed the need to open my copy so cheers!
Lacklustre sums it up for me. I was hoping for something that would benefit from being fresh on vinyl and 'sparkle' a little, but the A side needs hard scrutinising to detect differences and Ring is exactly as IR & US describe - a bit of a hatchet job.
Regards,
FWD.

One big disappointment actually.
They have simply taken the version that has been circulating on the internet since 2009/10 and edited bits out, particularly towards the end where the tape sounds like it has been chewed up.
They have also removed some of the lyrics, and in a fairly shoddy way.
The best example is the bit in the original demo where Moz sings and when you are dancing and laughing, living and loving, which has now been edited to and when you are dancing and laughing and loving.
It's a real shame, I was looking forward to listening to this particular recording in pristine quality. I guess such thing does not exist, so they have used the best available source.

I don't think it has been edited. It's a completely different version.

When some of the previously unreleased Morrissey tracks emerge ('Oh Phoney', 'Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness') they weren't the exact same mixes that had previously leaked. Relax -it just means you've got another version.

some more wine. I would have preferred the unfinished/botched '(Now and then there's) a fool such as I'.

but all in good in time, I guess.

Could someone please post 'The Boy......' Demo in mp3 format?

Here is the early demo version leaked eight or so years ago.
I have edited out the part where the sound drops/is muffled.
Yes, in terms of editing this is a hatchet job, though not particularly worse than what is on the 7".
In terms of overall sound quality and the recording itself, I believe this is a lot better.
Just one person's onion, feel free to disagree.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4zuhnn

You know the stuff that leaks will tend to be unfinished versions run onto cassette at the studio for the band members to listen to overnight or whatever, not necessarily the 'final' mix from the session.

You know the stuff that leaks will tend to be unfinished versions run onto cassette at the studio for the band members to listen to overnight or whatever, not necessarily the 'final' mix from the session.

No, most leaks such as the ones mentioned here are from scrapped album deluxe editions.

No, most leaks such as the ones mentioned here are from scrapped album deluxe editions.

I realise there was this recent mass leak of the CDR set from Warners, however what I said generally applied until that point. That Rubber Ring from 8 years ago sounds like it was sourced from a cassette, though listening to it again I reckon it's a completely different demo rather than an earlier mix of the Drone one.

Last edited:
the songs posted in the .rar are out of phase, so they don't sound right.

Back
Top Bottom