RTE: The Smiths drummer Mike Joyce talks Strangeways (October 13, 2022)

If you're going to go out go out ON TOP. That's exactly what The Smiths did. "Strangeways" is indeed their best and most haunting record and nothing similar to it has been heard since then or even come close. The "indie bands" of today are a sad joke and I see no evidence of originality whatsoever in the next generations outside a few unique stragglers. The Smiths never descended into money whoring and kiss ups to commercial radio. They made art that happened to speak to A TON of human beings worldwide. Timeless music that will capture young people for generations. I was devastated when they broke up, then later I realized it was the best thing at the right time. THE SMITHS WERE / ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT BAND IN THE WORLD.

I forgive you Mike. Life is too short for grudges to be held by fans. Next stop Moz!
I do find it a bit strange to come onto a website dedicated to Morrissey's solo career, in the middle of a successful sold-out run of shows for him, only to find the front page full of information about people that currently have nothing to do with Morrissey's activities.

With all the due respect, Mike Joyce has been repeating the same words for years. The same old story. I don't see why he keeps willing to meet M when we all know that it is one impossible thing to happen, unless they are waiting for a flight at the same VIP lounge at an airport. And I suppose, in this case, M would swap to another lounge! It is a sad thing, for what they have done in music, but the truth will always be the truth.

Wonder why someone who claims to be in an equal partner in THE SMITHS...hasn't been in any other band since. Speaks volumes.

The other three, I can see onstage together--but none of them will attend even the funeral of Michael Joyce.

No relevance, no new music or art. I'd rather be dead for sure.

Wonder why someone who claims to be in an equal partner in THE SMITHS...hasn't been in any other band since. Speaks volumes.

The other three, I can see onstage together--but none of them will attend even the funeral of Michael Joyce.

No relevance, no new music or art. I'd rather be dead for sure.

He's been in plenty of other bands, including Morrissey's initial solo band.

Yeah, but those more or less were just short stints, rather than a long collaborative involved and evolving artistic relationship. Which may have been what the anon was meaning when compared to The Smiths and saying that Joyce hasn’t been in any other bands.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom