RSD UK 2020: "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" 10" vinyl released today (August 29, 2020)

Record Store Day (number 13) this year has seen a variety of changes.
Pre-covid, the plan (as per usual) was to release a long list of rarities and collectables.
People would then queue and try hard to get their wants lists met at their indie record store.
Februray 20, 2020, we shared a rumour sourced from the Reps that the 12" (thought at the time) was ready for listing.
This was confirmed the next day with a link to the physical product via 'Bullmoose'.
RSD was due to take place on April 18, 2020, but world events would bring about the end to this plan.
March 4, 2020, Central posted an image of several of these records saying there were 3 tracks on the B-side (there isn't a B-side).
That would indicate they were already made and ready to distribute, but have sat for 5+ months waiting.
RSD then announced (April 29. 2020) the revised plan to split the list up in to 3 and 'drop' over 3 dates with Morrissey being in the first one.

That all said, today finally sees the first of 3 scheduled 'drops' for the revised Record Store Day, 2020 in the UK.
Amongst many sees a Morrissey 10" transparent vinyl featuring: Honey, You Know Where To Find Me, Fantastic Bird, You Should Have Been Nice To Me.
All of these tracks were taken from the 2009 'Legacy Edition' of Southpaw Grammar.
Although bringing nothing new to the table, it was clear that the cover star was something Morrissey wanted on a record.
Lili St. Cyr was first suggested by Central as a cover star for When You Close Your Eyes back in June, '19.
The image was taken by Maurice Seymour Studio (Maurice & Seymour Zeldman).

Initially proposed single:
48605_48604_when_you_close_oprlgp.png

Source:
liliface.jpg

(Please see this excellent blog for a summary of her colourful life).

On to the vinyl (click an image to zoom):

20200828_162210[1].jpg
20200828_161508[1].jpg
20200828_161750[1].jpg

The product itself looks great with light behind it.

Around the edge of the record it reads:
"Play this side only. No Audio on other side. 33 ⅓ RPM. Morrissey: 1. Honey, You Know Where To Find Me 2. Fantastic Bird 3. You Should Have Been Nice to Me ℗ 2009 & © 2020 Morrissey under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management (UK) LTD...." (ends in usual copyright warning)
There is no matrix message on this vinyl.

Lots of indie retailers appear to be doing all sorts of innovative things to stay afloat during these difficult times.
This has included flexible ways to secure copies of items on the main RSD list by mail order, pre-ordering and some will offer the queue and hope approach too.
If you enjoy RSD and however you may be participating - best of luck.
The record, from a collecting point of view, is well worth owning IMHO.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

US sites have too much traffic for the servers to handle; all the sites are down.
I gave up 1 hour into it. Will try another time.
Postage from the UK to the US is more than the record.

It really looks great and it's convenient that all three songs are on the same side.
So - it’s another half pressing? Yes, how convenient for you to pay full price for an EP, when you get half of the sound quality and they’ve saved half of the money on production - while YOU pay full price.

Only a current Morrissey fan would extol the virtues of not having to flip a record. Lol!

So there are several versions of this?
No, just the one. Presumably the poster bought two so he could flip one of ebay for ££. (my local shop had a '1 copy per buyer' rule, otherwise I would have cleared them out)

So there are several versions of this?USA always last on list for Morrissey records, bums me out.....

I reckon even though the California Son is American from the San Fernando Valley and lives in Malibu, the foreigners are the ones that buy the most merch because he rarely tours their foreign countries and the merch and records is their only way of feeling close to him, so they get first dibs like having an Airbnb flower house in Brittin, it makes the foreigners feel involved. Things like sellout shows at the Hollywood Bowl and the residency in Vegas are what is most important to him chipper curry aye fek'll fark arse inn nnn nnn n n n nn n it.

My local record shop had around 12 copies of it. I think I was the only one who bought one. It was priced at £20 however.

The Banquet Records webpage froze when I tried to pay for my copy and after about 45 mins, I gave up in fustration! This also happened to me when I tried to pay for a copy of the Vauxhall & I blue vinyl a couple of weeks ago!! However just went back on line and it was still in my basket so proceeded with the checkout and apparently now I have a copy winging its way to me as I type. I won't be happy until I have it in my hands, but it looks like I got lucky?

My local record shop had around 12 copies of it. I think I was the only one who bought one. It was priced at £20 however.
Blimey where are you, Chelsea?

My copy is absolute garbage. The music grooves and the picture’s ink appear to be on the same side of the vinyl - I’ve tried playing the record and it is absolutely unlistenable.

On closer inspection (ie, reading the text around the edge of the disc) it’s clear that the music has actually been pressed on the wrong side of the disc. It says “play this side only, no audio on other side” - but the grooves are ON that other side... as is the ink / etching / whatever. Total manufacturing cock-up.

My local record store had at least 12 copies, I went in and couldn't believe it. I walked straight past them and got New Order's Peel Sessions. What a load of old bollocks releasing that sorry excuse of a record Steve, no wonder there were so many left smh.

-little benny 🇬🇧:knife:

how about just put this on spotify along with world peace is none of your business. thanks SER.

I‘m partial to a picture disc and the 10” format, so am happy to pay for what I already have (tune wise), underwhelming as it is.

I did a couple of shops for RSD yesterday and neither had it.
I think I just got mine online. One of those inconclusive web purchase moments. Did it take my order, did it not. No money from the account yet. Fingers crossed.

I‘m partial to a picture disc and the 10” format, so am happy to pay for what I already have (tune wise), underwhelming as it is.

I did a couple of shops for RSD yesterday and neither had it.
I think I just got mine online. One of those inconclusive web purchase moments. Did it take my order, did it not. No money from the account yet. Fingers crossed.
I don't buy much vinyl so perhaps I'm behind the times but what struck me about this picture disc is that it is both a picture disc and transparent, which is something I've never seen before. All my other picture discs are opaque.

On closer inspection (ie, reading the text around the edge of the disc) it’s clear that the music has actually been pressed on the wrong side of the disc. It says “play this side only, no audio on other side” - but the grooves are ON that other side... as is the ink / etching / whatever. Total manufacturing cock-up.

I wonder if all the copies are like this? It is nice to look at.

My local record store had at least 12 copies, I went in and couldn't believe it. I walked straight past them and got New Order's Peel Sessions. What a load of old bollocks releasing that sorry excuse of a record Steve, no wonder there were so many left smh.

-little benny 🇬🇧:knife:
get big benny on here,little bennys just a child in the big persons playground.the 12 copies will go to real fans and not gimps like you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom