RSD 2022: Sandie Shaw - Hand In Glove coloured vinyl 12" announced (February 16, 2022)

Sandy_Shaw_-_Hand~2.jpg

Listed on Rough Trade @ £23.99.
Coloured vinyl - TBC.

Blurb:
"Originally released in 1984 and unavailable for almost 40 years, this was a collaboration between one of the most successful (UK) female stars of the ‘60s and indie darlings the Smiths, who were big fans. It features three Morrissey/Marr originals on which Sandie is backed by messrs Marr, Rourke and Joyce. Never previously available on coloured vinyl."

(link courtesy of @Uncleskinny)

Rough Trade appear to have forgotten the German marbled vinyl release!?
The release should have:
1. Hand In Glove
2. I Don't Owe You Anything
3. Jeane
On it if a straight reissue.
Regards,
FWD.

Full RSD list:

is it just me or is RSD becoming almost too big and corporate now,it started with a bunch of artists putting out a certain product to help out independant record stores,now it just seems that record companies are putting stuff out at extortionate prices and generally cashing in.
taylor swift as the first global ambassador for record store day 2022,well it doesnt get much more corporate than that.

is it just me or is RSD becoming almost too big and corporate now,it started with a bunch of artists putting out a certain product to help out independant record stores,now it just seems that record companies are putting stuff out at extortionate prices and generally cashing in.
taylor swift as the first global ambassador for record store day 2022,well it doesnt get much more corporate than that.

Yes I think so too but still going to try and get hold of this -

ELECTRONIC Remix Mini Album

Flogging a very dead horse. Had hoped for something extraordinary, something substantial. "A fool such as I " (35 years) or "I know who I love" as a 7" (25 years), not just coloured vinyl of something, that everyone already has.

No insanity here, the event was first marketed as an opportunity to get limited but affordable releases that would reacquaint people with going record shops.

Now it’s just an opportunity to mass press ‘rarities’ and screw the naive consumer who buys into the idea of owning an instant relic.

These limited releases will ultimately be degraded as they will be eclipsed by something similar—but more expensive still—a few years down the road.

At least the vinyl revival makes it clear to everyone that that the first great swizz occurred in the 80s, with the introduction of CDs. RSD is just a variation on the theme.

Personally, I welcome the introduction of bars into some record shops. And a relaxing of licensing laws to make both booze and live music easier to sell in the stores would be a more sustainable answer to the challenge of keeping shops open.

In a weird way, I wonder if this whole Sandie Shaw thing back in 1984 was another example of Morrissey anticipating his own future problems. This release is now perfect for some people in our current cultural moment: it's The Smiths (yay!) without having to listen to that evil, nasty Morrissey (boo!).

In a weird way, I wonder if this whole Sandie Shaw thing back in 1984 was another example of Morrissey anticipating his own future problems. This release is now perfect for some people in our current cultural moment: it's The Smiths (yay!) without having to listen to that evil, nasty Morrissey (boo!).
Sandie was a lynch mob target too; after having a relationship with a married man in the 60s ‘public pressure’ meant she was dropped as the face of Lux soap (and there was a move at the BBC to dump her from the Eurovision contest).

I have the original 12 so not jumping on this one. I like her take on I don't owe you anything. Hand in Glove is strangely over the top production. A bit like Shakespeare's Sister, it's had everything thrown at it.

I have the original 12 so not jumping on this one. I like her take on I don't owe you anything. Hand in Glove is strangely over the top production. A bit like Shakespeare's Sister, it's had everything thrown at it.

Yes, it suits, could have been written for her.

I wish they got the chance to work with M Faithfull, like I believe they wanted to(?) always thought she would be a good match for How Soon is Now?

bought LP of Sandie Shaw with Hand in glove for 5 pounds
God I forgot about that. I have it on CD and it has Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness too. Never got it on vinyl though and haven't listened to it in around 20 years.

Pointless release.
I'm not against the release. If it was £12 I'd buy it if I saw it. I've just reached a stage where I'm fed up of records costing twice what they should.

Of course we all say "but it'll only go up in value" but does that mean anything when they'll only be sold if you drop dead suddenly and the wife/partner gives them away for free just to declutter the house?

With that said I say "do what you want" when someone is thinking of buying an expensive RSD record. If it makes them happy. I've done it often enough myself in the past.

I'm not against the release. If it was £12 I'd buy it if I saw it. I've just reached a stage where I'm fed up of records costing twice what they should.

Of course we all say "but it'll only go up in value" but does that mean anything when they'll only be sold if you drop dead suddenly and the wife/partner gives them away for free just to declutter the house?

With that said I say "do what you want" when someone is thinking of buying an expensive RSD record. If it makes them happy. I've done it often enough myself in the past.
True Acton, but if you and I (as fairly committed Morrissey fans) are swerving RSD releases where does that leave the altruistic motive, if not exposed as a cynical scam—arguably responsible for still more indifference about the future of the industry.

The cost of everything has gone up.
That includes vinyl production raw materials (it also costs more for short runs of product - especially if multi/coloured).
RSD is a popular event that (prior to covid) had people queuing around street corners with a chance to get things they wanted without having to negotiate with reseller scum. The indie shops have become reliant on that trade and it actually helps keep shops open on the High Street. Official Charts cites the resurgence in vinyl buying as being catalysed by vinyl that is unique, coloured, limited, re-packaged or containing rare material.
A 1 of 1500, coloured vinyl reissue of an almost 40 year old record might not be something people see as 'worth' 24 quid, but collecting doesn't work like that - it never has. I'd suggest a lot of collectors never consider the investment aspect - they just want to own the item.
The sellers don't actually make a huge profit on sales, but my local supplier says they do enough business during RSD to help stay open the rest of the year (especially more so during covid restrictions).
So, it always gets my support and I've supported independent shops for most of 40 years and some are still standing today.
As RSD has grown in popularity, so has the size of the release list (that's actually meant to be a good thing right?) and that in itself has encouraged some truly rare and interesting music to be made available (assuming you collect other music besides Morrissey - which I do).

From Vinyl Factory (UK figures):
"More than 5 million (5.3m) records were sold in 2021, the highest total since 1990.
This marks an increase of 11% on 2020 – making it the 14th consecutive year of growth for the format. Vinyl LPs now represent more than a quarter of physical format purchases."

So the trade is clearly thriving and has a future if the previous sustained growth is anything to go by. People are still happily spending regardless of anyone with contrary opinions regarding purchasing vinyl!

The fact other people don't 'get' my desire to collect something matters not one jot.
As mentioned previously: I'll take the 'do what you want' route :)
Regards,
FWD.

Moz does BVs on "Jeane".
From memory, I think the version of Jeane on this release is a shorter edit than that which appeared as an extra trackon the "Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness" CD single. Or was it the other way around?

I doubt it, as Moz had no problem being involved putting together new sleeve artwork for the 2017 'Boy With the Thorn'and 'Queen is Dead' singles. It's quite possible though that, as this single is credited to Sandie Shaw, the record company doesn't require any authorisation or permission from either Johnny or Moz to do a reissue.
Possible indeed.
The three tracks were used as extra B side fodder for the 1992 Sniths reissue campaign on Warners (CD 2 of "There is a Light..."), though of course that could have been via a licencing arrangement.

Moz does BVs on "Jeane".
From memory, I think the version of Jeane on this release is a shorter edit than that which appeared as an extra trackon the "Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness" CD single. Or was it the other way around?
RTT 130 (12"): Jeane - 2:50
RTT220CD: Jeane - 3:16
Regards,
FWD.

That includes vinyl production raw materials (it also costs more for short runs of product - especially if multi/coloured).
RSD is a popular event that (prior to covid) had people queuing around street corners with a chance to get things they wanted without having to negotiate with reseller scum. The indie shops have become reliant on that trade and it actually helps keep shops open on the High Street. Official Charts cites the resurgence in vinyl buying as being catalysed by vinyl that is unique, coloured, limited, re-packaged or containing rare material.
A 1 of 1500, coloured vinyl reissue of an almost 40 year old record might not be something people see as 'worth' 24 quid, but collecting doesn't work like that - it never has. I'd suggest a lot of collectors never consider the investment aspect - they just want to own the item.
The sellers don't actually make a huge profit on sales, but my local supplier says they do enough business during RSD to help stay open the rest of the year (especially more so during covid restrictions).
So, it always gets my support and I've supported independent shops for most of 40 years and some are still standing today.
As RSD has grown in popularity, so has the size of the release list (that's actually meant to be a good thing right?) and that in itself has encouraged some truly rare and interesting music to be made available (assuming you collect other music besides Morrissey - which I do).

"More than 5 million (5.3m) records were sold in 2021, the highest total since 1990.
This marks an increase of 11% on 2020 – making it the 14th consecutive year of growth for the format. Vinyl LPs now represent more than a quarter of physical format purchases."

So the trade is clearly thriving and has a future if the previous sustained growth is anything to go by. People are still happily spending regardless of anyone with contrary opinions regarding purchasing vinyl!

The fact other people don't 'get' my desire to collect something matters not one jot.
Regards,
FWD.
Having just shelled out £35 for a further copy of If You’re Feeling Sinister, direct from the B&S website, I’m happy to pay a pretty penny for vinyl. But I’d rather put the retailer’s cut in a band’s pocket if all the latter can offer is a massive queue, and a ‘sorry’ because they’ve sold out at the end of the waiting—along with a problematic price-tag.

The stated aim of RSD was (as I remember) to get more vinyl buyers reacquainted with record shops—rather than to simply get seasoned collectors spending more and more. So there’s something disingenuous about the project; especially as it is sometimes mentioned as a strategy (amongst others) to help revive the high street generally: it’s not helping that cause and it’s (to my mind) perhaps on the threshold of doing the reverse.

Regards,
FWD.
And of course you're right. I bought the Suede RSD Brixton Academy clear vinyl and Gene Rising For Sunset orange vinyl last year (I think it was last year) and Tangerine Dream's The Keep, and The Cure Bloodflowers and Three Imaginary Boys and ZeroZeroZero. And am glad I did.

I suppose just personally I'm feeling jaded when I see that records I bought in 2018/2019 on Amazon or in shops are now at least 50% dearer, or 80% in a lot of cases. I felt like a mug queuing in the rain to then dash into a record shop for last RSD to find a single platter record costing €32 just because it was 'limited' and coloured. I think I just need a break from it. Plus the customer service in those shops is usually non-existent. They have '2 for €50' section as if it's a bargain. On RSD I bought the lovely Ultravox 2LP clear vinyl and the cachier said "ooh it's a clear vinyl. If we'd known we would have added €5 to the price."

But you're right: we've all paid over the odds for anything that's nice. I've wiped my memory of what I paid for Morricone's/Carpenter's The Thing 2LP.

Last edited:
I have the original import of this on the coloured vinyl. I have to say I prefer her version of Jeane (Johnny on acoustic guitar; Morrissey on backing vocals) to The Smiths' full band b-side.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom